Author Topic: NFL Thread (2008-09)  (Read 103858 times)

Offline blue911

Re: 2008-2009 NFL Season Thread
« Reply #125: September 08, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
I hate Kornheiser but this is just the first game and he's already on my last nerve. The motherfreaker will not stop talking about Favre.

When he started calling Favre a "Bona Fide Beast", I turned the game off.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #126: September 08, 2008, 10:32:59 PM »
When [Kornheiser] started calling Favre a "Bona Fide Beast", I turned the game off.

As a public service, someone needs to find and post the specific radio stations airing the ESPN NFL games, so we don't have to listen to Kornholer.  It's a shame, because I think Ron Jaworski is the best ESPN analyst, from his years of studying game film for the ouststanding NFL Matchup show, which is now relegated to 3:00 am and 7:30 am Sundays.  (Thanks, ESPN, you farking azzwipes.)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #127: September 08, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »
I hate watching football with a baseball diamond on the field - it looks so ugly

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #128: September 08, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »
Eddie Royal is a stud. What a steal by the Broncos getting him in the 2nd round of this year's draft.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #129: September 09, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
:rofl: at people ripping Campbell. Tarvaris Jackson and JaMarcus Russel make Jason look like a Hall of Famer.

Also, the Skins are awful but Oakland, St. Louis, Detroit, Houston, Seattle, Cincinnati, and Minnesota looked worse.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #130: September 09, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
:rofl: at people ripping Campbell. Tarvaris Jackson and JaMarcus Russel make Jason look like a Hall of Famer.

Let's hope he doesn't turn into a statue like Tommy Maddox

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #131: September 09, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
I hate watching football with a baseball diamond on the field - it looks so ugly

Agreed.  But I love watching NFL games in Oakland, because:

1) So many of their fans are dressed in wacky costumes.  (I saw a Darth Vader in the stands.)

2) The Raiderettes are usually smoking hot.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #132: September 09, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »
Agreed.  But I love watching NFL games in Oakland, because:

1) So many of their fans are dressed in wacky costumes.  (I saw a Darth Vader in the stands.)

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

2) The Raiderettes are usually smoking hot.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)    (Image removed from quote.)

I only have eyes for the Redskinettes (aren't they the Redskins cheerleaders now?)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #133: September 09, 2008, 12:44:41 AM »
Ashlie Lelie, underutilized by Shanahan at Denver, scores a touchdown against them for da Raiders...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #134: September 09, 2008, 01:17:32 AM »
 :rofl: at Mike Ditka going wild when the Raiders scored their second TD to make it a 41-14 game with 1:34 left.

Poor Raiders. The guys in the booth have been dogging them all night and rightfully so.  :)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #135: September 09, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
You're not going to be so happy if/when the Redskins are in that position later this year.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #136: September 09, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
The one thing I remember Campbell doing when he first got a shot to start that he doesn't do anymore is use his legs from time to time to move the chains. I remember him being effective escaping the pocket but they appear to be trying to force him to stay in the pocket. I don't understand that philosophy. All that does is get the QB sacked unnecessarily. Plus scrambling for 1st downs extends drives and demoralizes defenses.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #137: September 09, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »
Well, Shawne Merriman grew a brain, and opted for surgery.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #138: September 09, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
Well, Shawne Merriman grew a brain, and opted for surgery.

It made no sense to risk playing in that one game.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #139: September 09, 2008, 10:29:39 PM »
It made no sense to risk playing in that one game.

Of course, especially when his career was in jeopardy. Even for a football player, who has been hit in the head many times, that was incredibly stupid.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #140: September 10, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Interesting take on Zorn that I wholly agree with from espn/Easterbrook

So let's look at other coaching decisions on opening weekend, when the manly men were separated from the individuals who merely have XY chromosomes:

• Trailing 13-0 in the first half, the Redskins faced fourth-and-1 at midfield against the Giants. You're down by two scores against the defending champions, you cannot seriously be punting from midfield! Boom goes the punt. Now trailing 16-7 with 10 minutes remaining, the Skins faced fourth-and-6 on their own 26. They still need two scores, and now the clock is fading. Punt and you might as well leave to get blueberry-almond martinis. Rookie head coach Jim "Dan Snyder Hasn't Fired Me Quite Just Yet" Zorn sends in the punt unit, and TMQ wrote the words "game over" in his notebook.
Otherwise, coaches too often play to restrain the margin of defeat, rather than go all-out to attempt to win, which may increase the margin of defeat. Trailing 16-7 in the fourth quarter, Zorn was essentially running up the white flag by ordering a punt. By that point, tactically he was playing for a close loss to the defending champions, which would look better on his résumé than a big defeat. Coaches in his situation may think, "If we punt, I surrender all chance of victory, but retain a decent chance of having the game end as a close defeat. If we go for it, I keep alive a small hope of victory, but risk a bigger defeat." Coaches then decide to do what is best for them personally in career terms, rather than risk everything for a win

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #141: September 10, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
^ That's BS. Being down by only 2 scores, ANY coach would punt from their own 26 w/ that much time left in the 4th.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #142: September 10, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »
^ That's BS. Being down by only 2 scores, ANY coach would punt from their own 26 w/ that much time left in the 4th.

QFT

The other one was also a BS example. I don't recall the circumstance but he didn't even say how much time was left in the 1st half when that came up. Down by 13 in the first half is not panic time. If you go and fail you give up the ball at midfield and risk going into the locker room by more than 2 scores.

I do want the Skins to attempt more downfield passes though. Not only do those passes keep defenses honest but they can devastate and produce points when completed, not to mention the possibility of pass interference.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #143: September 10, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
at Vince Young.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The mother of Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young said he's "hurting inside and out" and indicated he might not want to play football any longer.

Felicia Young said in Wednesday editions of The Tennessean that her son is tired of all of the negativity he's faced after being booed during a 17-10 win Sunday over Jacksonville.

"What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?" Felicia Young said. "He may not want to deal with it [all], but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

"But we're not talking about football right now. We're talking about what would make him happy, and that is the most important thing."

Young was the subject of a four-hour search Monday night by Nashville police, who were called by Titans coach Jeff Fisher after Young's family members expressed concern about Young's "emotional well-being," according to police.

Vince Young's agent, Major Adams, told ESPN reporter George Smith that he didn't know why the story has taken on a life of its own.

Adams said he called Young's friend's house after hearing that Young was missing. Adams said the quarterback was upbeat and watching the Monday night games, and confirmed that Young was without his cell phone.

As for reports about depression or Young's fragile emotional state, Adams told Smith they're "unfounded."

"It's the first time I've heard that. I know he's not battling depression," Adams said. "He's fine mentally. I think it's a misunderstanding and misinformation."

This isn't the first time that Young has talked of wanting to quit football. He told a reporter last spring that he thought of retiring after his rookie season, a statement he said later was taken out of context.

The No. 3 pick overall in the 2006 draft, Young won the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and followed up by helping the Titans reach the playoffs last season with a 10-6 record. But he has been criticized for his passing struggles after having only nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 2007.

His mental state has been in question since he was booed Sunday after his second interception during the Jacksonville game. He didn't want to go back into the game until prodded by coach Jeff Fisher.

He sprained his left medial collateral ligament four plays later and could be out for up to four weeks. Fisher said Tuesday night he is ruling Young out for only Sunday's game at Cincinnati.

But Young didn't go to the team's offices Monday and postponed his MRI exam until Tuesday. He met with a psychologist, along with Fisher and another team official, at his home Monday.

Four hours of uncertainty followed Monday night when Young left his home without his phone, prompting someone at his home to call Fisher. Fisher, in turn, called police to help find the quarterback.

When he was finally found, Young agreed to meet with Fisher and police at the team's training facility, after which Young drove himself home.

Felicia Young said they are going to give her son some space.

"It is hard, all he is going through right now. He's hurting inside and out," she told The Tennessean.

"But he will be fine if people are prayerful and help my baby boy out. He is a young man. He just needs a lot of love and support."

Offline spidernat

« Reply #145: September 10, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
He had no problem accepting the huge amount of money the Titans dished out to him. He needs to man up, show some onions and take the criticism that comes with being a professional athlete. He would be a perfect fit here with some of the coddling that goes on in this board.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #146: September 12, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »
Wow, Vince has really gone off the deep end even more than I thought.  :stupid:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636

The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.

"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report. On Tuesday, the team issued a statement saying police had been called over concern for Young but those concerns were unfounded.

"Last night, we received a call from people that are closest to Vince informing us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house," it said. "Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince. He was located at a friend's house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident."

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #147: September 12, 2008, 11:00:20 PM »
Damn :shock:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #148: September 13, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »
The Ravens-Texans game has been postponed until November 9th because of Hurricane Ike.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3585348

The Houston Texans' home game against the Baltimore Ravens, previously scheduled for Monday night, has been postponed until Nov. 9 because of hurricane-related damage to Reliant Stadium.

Hurricane Ike, which made landfall early Saturday at Galveston as a severe Category 2 storm, also caused extensive damage throughout Houston, including the retractable roof at Reliant Stadium.

The Nov. 9 game will be held during the Ravens' bye week. The Texans' home game against the Cincinnati Bengals, originally scheduled for Nov. 9, will be moved to Oct. 26, which was the bye week for both of those teams.

This Sunday will now count as the bye for the Ravens and Texans. The Bengals' bye will be Nov. 9.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those who have been impacted by this hurricane. We will adjust," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "Our focus now turns to preparing for the Browns."

The storm tore chunks off the stadium's retractable roof and the damage can't be fixed in time to host the game, said Shea Guinn, president and general manager of Reliant Park.

"There is no way this stadium will host a game on Monday night," Guinn said Saturday. "There are parts of the roof that are completely gone."

The retractable roof on the $352 million venue rolls open in nine sections. Guinn said five of the sections were missing and large pieces of debris had fallen into the stadium.

"It's hard to tell what came from where," Guinn said.

The game, originally scheduled for Sunday, was moved to Monday earlier in the week as Ike approached the area.

The field is not scheduled to host another game until Oct. 5, but Guinn said he wasn't sure when repairs could be completed. He said the stadium also sustained some water damage at street level.

The league said in a news release that alternate sites for the Texans-Ravens game were considered, but logistics made them impossible.

Reliant Stadium sits next to the Astrodome. Guinn said Saturday that he had not yet inspected the dome for storm damage. The Texans' air-supported practice "bubble" across the street was deflated on Thursday and was not damaged, Guinn said.

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, the supervisor of the county's hurricane cleanup efforts, planned to visit Reliant Stadium and survey the damage later Saturday.

Harbaugh canceled Sunday's practice; the Ravens will have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. "Without a bye, we believe we need to give the players the next few days off," Harbaugh said. "We'll have a Cleveland game plan ready for them when they come in on Wednesday."

MrMadison

« Reply #149: September 14, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Rams fans have to be pissed.

they get blown out by the loleagles in week one, then they get blown out by the Defending World Champions in week 2.

:icon_mrgreen: