Author Topic: Watching Destin Hood  (Read 2623 times)

Offline We Won?

Watching Destin Hood
« Topic Start: August 02, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »
In his first game, he went 2 for 2 and stole two bases.

Overall, Destin's first week with the Nationals in the Gulf Coast League was a good one. After 20 at-bats in 6 games, he's hitting .300 with 6 hits, 5 runs scored, and 5 RBI.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Re: Watching Destin Hood
« Reply #1: August 02, 2008, 04:24:48 PM »
We pretty much got a top 10 first round pick in the second b/c if he went to college he would easily go in the top 10.

DemLerners

« Reply #2: August 04, 2008, 02:27:53 AM »
We pretty much got a top 10 first round pick in the second b/c if he went to college he would easily go in the top 10.

I wouldn't say that much, but definitely a top 20 pick.

Besides, you can't just say that you have gotten a top 10 pick, because going to college adds on to the development exponentially. Fact is, that picking people from high school may impede their development.

That's why you see college guys taken.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: August 04, 2008, 08:27:21 AM »
I wouldn't say that much, but definitely a top 20 pick.

Besides, you can't just say that you have gotten a top 10 pick, because going to college adds on to the development exponentially. Fact is, that picking people from high school may impede their development.

That's why you see college guys taken.

Really? I think i've heard that getting kids into the system playing everyday with wooden bats helps their development. It would seem that picking college guys is just a more informed decision since you see where they are at 20 or 21 years old vs 18

DemLerners

« Reply #4: August 04, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
Really? I think i've heard that getting kids into the system playing everyday with wooden bats helps their development. It would seem that picking college guys is just a more informed decision since you see where they are at 20 or 21 years old vs 18

That's not what I'm saying. Right now, Hood is a four tooler, but a very RAW player. Now, raw players probably make it less than 20% of the time. When they go to college, they're molded into what they will become. They usually offer less projection, but there is a higher chance of college guys making it than raw high school guys, simply because of experience and what I would call "the college (sports) experience"

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: August 04, 2008, 09:06:44 AM »

The other thing to take into account is those extra years in development eat into the time that the player is under team control.

natsfan

« Reply #6: August 05, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
Impossible to call, but remember that playing within an organization that has invested money in you guarantees playing time to develop.  In a "big-time" college situation the coach is under pressure to win right now, and so if a player is not producing, he does not play, and can "get lost" in the system.  He used to be able to immediately transfer, but now he has to sit out a year(unless he transfers down to DII or JC), thus losing an important year of development.  In other words the HS kid is afforded the opportunity to "screw up" and still remain in the line up because it is all about development, while in college it is all about winning right now.  This also leads to some questionable decisions in regard to pitchers, and the number of pitches they throw in an outing, and how much rest they get between starts.  I think what is best depends on the individual, his maturity level, and his work ethic.  Lets face it, some of these young athletes are paid an awful lot of money to be an "apprentice" baseball player, and this too can have an adverse effect on them.  Most would agree that the college atmosphere is tremendous, and therefore should be experienced to help the overall development of the individual, but have you walked the campus of a major university on a big football or basketball weekend?  That envirionment can be great for some, but a huge problem for others.  This is a difficult question that cannot be answered without looking at each individual.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #7: August 05, 2008, 07:07:46 PM »
Has anyone here read the book 'Baseball Economy' It explains why Billy Beane almost always drafts college kids. It's because it is easier to project how good they can be because they play at a higher level in college than in high school [obviously] and thus their potential is much easier to project and results in less busts.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: August 05, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
Has anyone here read the book 'Baseball Economy' It explains why Billy Beane almost always drafts college kids. It's because it is easier to project how good they can be because they play at a higher level in college than in high school [obviously] and thus their potential is much easier to project and results in less busts.

Moneyball goes into depth about the same thing. College-level production can often lead to a more accurate projection of a player.

Then again, in Moneyball, Beane's "great draft" was actually pretty crappy. (But it is the MLB draft, a huge crapshoot)

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #9: August 05, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »
Looks like Hood was pulled after one AB today.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #10: August 05, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »
Looks like Hood was pulled after one AB today.
Wonder why?

Offline RD

« Reply #11: August 06, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Hood would not have benefitted from going to college.

He would have been playing football half the time, which unquestionably would have stunted his development. He would not get to focus on baseball and develop at a slower pace. He would be even further behind in 3 years after playing baseball part time. Signing now was the best move for his future. He wouldn't have been drafted any higher.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #12: August 06, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
Hood would not have benefitted from going to college.

He would have been playing football half the time, which unquestionably would have stunted his development. He would not get to focus on baseball and develop at a slower pace. He would be even further behind in 3 years after playing baseball part time. Signing now was the best move for his future. He wouldn't have been drafted any higher.
How do you know for sure he would play football? And if he went back to get selected higher he would definitely not play football. He is a great talent and I am excited that he is in the system.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #13: August 06, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
Generally batters benefit more from going to college than pitchers.

MrMadison

« Reply #14: August 06, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
How do you know for sure he would play football?
because he didn't have a scholarship to play Baseball.

he had a scholarship to play football.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #15: August 06, 2008, 06:49:43 PM »
because he didn't have a scholarship to play Baseball.

he had a scholarship to play football.
Oh, the things we have to explain to some folks.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #16: August 06, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
How do you know for sure he would play football? And if he went back to get selected higher he would definitely not play football. He is a great talent and I am excited that he is in the system.

How did you not know he was going to play football? If he hadn't got a scholarship to play football, college wouldn't have been an option. If he really is a Top Ten value pick, as you call him, and we got him in the second round, do you really think college would raise his stock by THAT much?

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #17: August 06, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
How did you not know he was going to play football? If he hadn't got a scholarship to play football, college wouldn't have been an option. If he really is a Top Ten value pick, as you call him, and we got him in the second round, do you really think college would raise his stock by THAT much?
If he goes to college he will be a top 10 pick. And I didn't know he was offered a scholarship to play football...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: August 06, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »
If he goes to college he will be a top 10 pick. And I didn't know he was offered a scholarship to play football...

Yup, he was a prominent Alabama reciever recruit.  It was either football or pro baseball.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #19: August 06, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »

Sorry, that response came out snappier than intended. Rough day.