Author Topic: Esmailyn Daniel Gonzalez  (Read 2074 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Esmailyn Daniel Gonzalez
« Topic Start: July 30, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »
     The 18 year-old Gonzalez was considered a great pick-up, when we signed him a couple years ago, out of the DR. Well, when he started play in 07 he wasn't exactly stunning, struggling with a .245 average, 0 HR, 11 RBI's, in 33 games. Most of his band-wagon had ditched. Until this year. Putting up a 333 average, 0 HR, 25 RBI's, in 29 games he has led members of this board to believe he is the future at Short.

He is a switch hitter, but throws right-handedly. He has very little power, with above-average speed. Hits for a great average and is a very clutch hitter, batting .450 with runners in scoring position.

It should not be long; until we see him in D.C.

My take: My favorite prospect we have in the system, is supposed to be a good fielder as well. My prediction for a year in his prime is: [remember this is just to give you an idea of what I think he could be capable of doing just guess, don't criticize me!] .320 average, 3 HR, 55 RBI, 15 SB.

Blow it up folks.

Offline ronnynat

Re: Esmailyn Daniel Gonzalez
« Reply #1: July 30, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »
With the amount of money we paid him when he was a 16-year-old, he'd best be considered our shortstop of the future.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #2: July 30, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »
With the amount of money we paid him when he was a 16-year-old, he'd best be considered our shortstop of the future.
According to BA, at the beginning of the year it was Ian Desmond :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: July 30, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
He's hit the ball well but he has committed 11 errors in 29 games with the GCL Nats this season.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #4: July 31, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »
          He is a switch hitter, but throws right-handedly.

It would be hard for him to be a short stop if he threw with his left hand...

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #5: July 31, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
It would be hard for him to be a short stop if he threw with his left hand...
I was just saying what handed he is I know it would be hard...what the hell was the point of that comment?

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #6: July 31, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »
I thought he has power I remember a article comparing him to Miguel Tejada and it said he has alot of power and is a switch hitter.
Maybe it just will come as he gets older

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #7: August 01, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
I thought he has power I remember a article comparing him to Miguel Tejada and it said he has alot of power and is a switch hitter.
I never read anything like that from him, it will probably come around but so far in more than 200 AB's no HR so he probably isn't a 20-30 HR threat like Tejada is/was.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: August 01, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »
That would be this article from 2006 by Will Bladdson.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: August 01, 2008, 12:42:59 AM »
Could you find it for us?

Dude, I did. Click the link.

Offline RD

« Reply #11: August 01, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
He has been compared to Tejada from the start, so everyone has assumed some pop would be included in it. Obviously, we haven't seen it yet. He is still 18 so it's not a concern IMO.

Anyway, I dont think anyone really jumped off the bandwagon last year. If they did, they are fools. Some people around here have no patience and no sense of reality. He was a Dominican kid in his first year in America last year, and was the equivalent of a high school senior. He hit.245 which is respectable considering those circumstances. The part you had to love was the fact that he walked more than he struck out. That type of pitch selection and awareness at the plate is tough to learn. You could tell the hits are just a matter of experience and continuing to grow. And clearly, he's putting it together now.

Hopefully he gets the call to Vermont soon. He needs to get a little experience outside of the Gulf league so he can get use to traveling next year(I mean, this is his second year in the GCL, give him a change of scenery because he's not going to repeat levels anytime soon until he gets to Washington), and hopefully play the entire season at Hagerstown. All the cancelled games drive me nuts. Move him up, get in more games, and get him the experience at a higher level.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #12: August 01, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
I was just saying what handed he is I know it would be hard...what the hell was the point of that comment?

Just joking around...

And I really hope that Smiley turns out well.  But I will be more interested in his stats when he gets to higher levels.  For now, I guess the only thing I care about is K/BB.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #13: August 01, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Just joking around...

And I really hope that Smiley turns out well.  But I will be more interested in his stats when he gets to higher levels.  For now, I guess the only thing I care about is K/BB.
What do you find a good k/bb?