Author Topic: Rauch traded to Diamondbacks  (Read 16201 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Rauch traded to Diamondbacks
« Reply #125: July 22, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »
Rauch simply wasnt a closer in most GMs eyes. Yes, he was really good for the Nats this year, but his value on the trade market was as an 8th inning guy. George Sherrill will command the same type of prospect in return most likely.

No the Orioles will get a better package for Sherrill.  Not because he's a more valuable property than Rauch.  No, because their front office is better than ours. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #126: July 22, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
Your point is fair, and I doubt most contending teams would've given up much more for Rauch, but I think the strategy by our FO is terrible.  Rather than some middle infielder who most likely won't amount to being a useful everyday player, I think they should've targeted a prospect at a lower level with a higher ceiling.

They are obviously trying to part ways with Felipe as soon as possible -- and Belliard is not an every day player anymore --  he needs to come off the bench - so basically there is no one to play second -- Some say Bonaficio is major league ready -- maybe we see him as soon as September -- maybe he comes up and surprises all of us and shows some real potential -- personally, I think it's kinda nuts to write off a 23 year old as garbage before he even takes the field ...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #127: July 22, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
You keep saying he's been top 10. Surely you mean top 10 in the NL. Because saying he is a top 10 closer in all of baseball is laughable.
Maybe top 15.  I'm just throwing a number out there.  I don't see why that's laughable.  I'd rather have Papelbon, Soria, KRod, Gregg, Wagner, Lidge, Nathan, Jenks, Wood, Torres, Rivera, and Saito.  Rauch has been better than Sherrill, Percival, Valverde, Brian Wilson, C.J. Wilson, Franklin, Street, Lyon, Jones, and Hoffman.

I think he's about dead even with Capps and Fuentes.  The numbers are close with Cordero, but I'd rather have Rauch because he yields fewer baserunners.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #128: July 22, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »
K-rod is too expensive and he's overweight and will not last much longer either. Fuentes and Lyon are better as set-up man. I'm really hoping Hanrahan mans up and shows us what he's got.
K-Rod is overweight?  Since when?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #129: July 22, 2008, 07:31:32 PM »
They are obviously trying to part ways with Felipe as soon as possible -- and Belliard is not an every day player anymore --  he needs to come off the bench - so basically there is no one to play second
This is where we disagree.  I see no reason they can't use Belliard as an everyday 2B.  He's been very solid after coming off the DL.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #130: July 22, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »
No the Orioles will get a better package for Sherrill.  Not because he's a more valuable property than Rauch.  No, because their front office is better than ours. 

Rauch is better, but Sherrill will get more because

1. He's left handed
2. His save stats this year are gaudy - even though his personal stats are not (think a left handed cardiac Cordero)
3. The orioles have more to work with/trade and could package Sherrill with other players

The orioles have had over a decade of losing seasons -- and they have angelos as an owner -- McPhail certainly seems legit -- but it's way too early to crown their FO better than anyone at this point ...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #131: July 22, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »
K-Rod is overweight?  Since when?
This year. He's definitely put on some weight. I just don't see him continuing to put up that great of numbers for much longer.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #132: July 22, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »
I don't think that really matters.  There are plenty of pitchers who are hefty and get the job done.  Being overweight never stopped Sabathia.

But I do think that KRod will command WAY too much salary.  I don't think the Nats could even put in a competitive bid.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #133: July 22, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
Maybe top 15.  I'm just throwing a number out there.  I don't see why that's laughable.  I'd rather have Papelbon, Soria, KRod, Gregg, Wagner, Lidge, Nathan, Jenks, Wood, Torres, Rivera, and Saito.  Rauch has been better than Sherrill, Percival, Valverde, Brian Wilson, C.J. Wilson, Franklin, Street, Lyon, Jones, and Hoffman.

I think he's about dead even with Capps and Fuentes.  The numbers are close with Cordero, but I'd rather have Rauch because he yields fewer baserunners.
I'd also put him behind a guy like B.J. Ryan.

Still, I understand your point. I'm just as upset as the next guy to see Rauch go - he was one of my favorite Nats. But in the end, I think it was the right thing to do. Lets just hope that Bonafacio was the right piece to get back.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #134: July 22, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
I don't think that really matters.  There are plenty of pitchers who are hefty and get the job done.  Being overweight never stopped Sabathia.

But I do think that KRod will command WAY too much salary.  I don't think the Nats could even put in a competitive bid.
Yeah, $15 Million+ for a reliever? No thanks.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #135: July 22, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
This is where we disagree.  I see no reason they can't use Belliard as an everyday 2B.  He's been very solid after coming off the DL.

At this point -- Belliard could end up being our every day first baseman!  This team has big time, major league,  infield position player needs right now - and Bonaficio (some say) is ready to play right now -- As it is . I'd rather see Belliard coming off the bench -- don't get me wrong -- I'm not knocking Belliard at all -- just think he's the kind of player that anchors your bench, pinch hits and fills in as needed -- he shouldn't be your every day guy when you're in a total rebuild ... just mo

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #136: July 22, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »
This year. He's definitely put on some weight. I just don't see him continuing to put up that great of numbers for much longer.

He's definitely gotten heftier -- but He's still crushing and he's still very young - I don't see him slowing down any time soon -- and I agree with the others -- I think his payday is going to be huge ...

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
« Reply #137: July 22, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »
Belliard's swing has changed a lot since last year. He didn't have quite as much power in '07, but had one of the highest averages on our team (around .290). This year, he's hitting like 75 points lower because he's taking a lot of uppercut, homerun swings. But overall, the goal is to WIN. Belliard at this point in his career does not start at 2B for a winning team. Bonifacio might, and that's why we did this.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #138: July 22, 2008, 07:43:16 PM »
Honestly, a lot of people are overrating Rauch. We sold high, but there's no way he's a top 10 closer. I would have loved to have gotten Jed Lowrie, but its done... I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the kid play up here.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #139: July 22, 2008, 07:46:44 PM »
Well, Lowrie's defense is suspect, but I would've much rather gotten him than Bonifacio.

Offline Jayman77

« Reply #140: July 22, 2008, 07:54:28 PM »
Talk about a give-up trade.   :roll:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #141: July 22, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »
Well, Lowrie's defense is suspect, but I would've much rather gotten him than Bonifacio.

You don't need spectacular  D playing second.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #142: July 22, 2008, 08:08:46 PM »
Im pissed at this trade. Rauch has been amazing this year and we could have waited a bit longer to see if we could've gotten more prospects in the deal instead of making a gamble at a second baseman just to fill the gap were missing for the future. He could end up terrible and be a total flop. Sure he has speed and can get singles, but look at Bernadina. We gave him chances and couldn't emphazise on them.

I agree with Hanrahan shouldn't get the closer spot. Sure hes been warming up but hes up and down. He gives up walks and hits. Hes got a fast heater but he needs to be able to control it instead of getting lucky.

Hopefully this guy gets a chance during september so i can try to sway my feelings on this one...

and for the record, Chewy was ****ing awesome guy (saying like i know him) :(

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #143: July 22, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »
Honestly, a lot of people are overrating Rauch. We sold high, but there's no way he's a top 10 closer. I would have loved to have gotten Jed Lowrie, but its done... I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the kid play up here.

Look I like Rauch just as much as the next guy, but some people are acting like we just gave up Mariano Rivera or Papelbon. Look I know it sucks cause he was one of the better players on our team right now (we can all agree that's not exactly saying a lot) but honestly would there ever be a time when his value is higher? We traded for a  young, major league prospect at a position that needed to be addressed next year. Lets at least wait and see the kid play before we all yell that the sky is falling and call for everyone in the FO's head.

You don't need spectacular  D playing second.

I thought that I read defensively Bonifacio was a well above average 2nd baseman?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #144: July 22, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
Unless there's an injury -- I see Hanrahan as the closer for the rest of the year -- pretty sure, in the Nats eyes this is his shot to make it happen or not -

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #145: July 22, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »
I thought that I read defensively Bonifacio was a well above average 2nd baseman?

He was considered to be the D'Backs best defensive prospect (best speed, too). It's more like he's projected to be a great fielder, though.

MrMadison

« Reply #146: July 22, 2008, 08:21:21 PM »
personally, I'm not concerned with Rauch leaving. I don't mind that.

I'm just a little skeptical as to what we got back, and whether we got lowballed or not.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #147: July 22, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
personally, I'm not concerned with Rauch leaving. I don't mind that.

I'm just a little skeptical as to what we got back, and whether we got lowballed or not.

I guarantee Bowden asked for more, but I'm glad he actually took a deal (which I still think was great) over doing nothing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #148: July 22, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »
Listened to an interview with Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus, on XM175 on the way home tonight.  There's a definite perception that Rauch should have gotten us more than the one prospect with somewhat limited upside.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #149: July 22, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »
I guarantee Bowden asked for more, but I'm glad he actually took a deal (which I still think was great) over doing nothing.
I'm not because we had Rauch signed for two years, so he could've just been traded next year in a better market.