Author Topic: Nats Being Investigated in the D.R.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline GMUTrkstar

Nats Being Investigated in the D.R.
« Topic Start: July 02, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »
Kiley McDaniel has confirmed some rumors about the Nats being under investigation in the D.R. which explains our lack of connection to IFA.

Brian,
I was able to confirm the Nationals are being investigated as the comments suggested. This likely explains their lack of news thus far, but they still may make a few moves.

I have no real details beyond that, and simply reporting that generally implies guilt, so I didn’t want to run with it in an article.

http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/07/02/july2update/#more-256

Thats real unfortunate seeing all of the success we’ve been having over there and how deep this class was. That’ll really put a black mark on our record. Explains why “liquid” had no comment when I asked him about the Nats yesterday. We’re going have to throw some money around to make up for hard feelings! Hopefully everything works out for the best!!

A conversation has already started at farmauthority about the subject figured you guys would like to here about it as well!

Offline kimnat

Re: Nats Being Investigated in the D.R.
« Reply #1: July 02, 2008, 02:45:07 PM »
I don't follow.  What exactly are the Nats being investigated for?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: July 02, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

FA just posted something about this: http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/2008/07/02/rumors/

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: July 03, 2008, 12:39:39 AM »

Its either "money, drugs, or falsifying documents."  Im just taking that off the site, its a lot of digging around with little concrete information.  Brian, as he mentions in the post, does not usually post stuff until it is a fact (or at least near fact) and I can attest to this from past experience.  I think that he posted this on the site, because there might not be much information coming out on this for quite sometime AND we did not have any signings today from Latin America, on what is the biggest day for signing 16 year olds from Latin America (recall E Gonzalez on July 2nd last year).  If we are lucky, we will never hear anything about this again.  The worst case scenario would involve the drug option, IMO.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: July 03, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: July 03, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
Can someone provide a potential drug scenario?  I dont see how that comes into play.  Would people rather get paid in drugs or something? Is the Nats DR facility a plantation too?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #6: July 03, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
Can someone provide a potential drug scenario?  I dont see how that comes into play.  Would people rather get paid in drugs or something? Is the Nats DR facility a plantation too?

Haha, no no we are not talking about cocaine, and I should have been more clear, but we are talking about the transportation of steroids.  Most likely, it involves falsifying documents (according to the article) because of the recent increase in concern over who is getting into the country.  It would take a lot of people being grossly negligent of the payment process to get the government involved for the money option. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: July 03, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »

I read a blurb in the Post today. It sounded as if all teams that had a presence in the DR were being looked into by the FBI. The Nats were not the subject of the investigation nor were they being anything but cooperative with the authorities.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: July 03, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »
Article from Nationals.com:

According to the Post, investigators are "scrutinizing the methods used to attract talent, where protocol often involves middle men and seven-figure bonuses." Rijo said the Nationals have done nothing wrong.

"I think it's a great idea," Rijo said Thursday afternoon. "That's the only way you are going to clean the system out. You are going to protect those kids more now. I think it's something that needed to be done a long time ago. I'm on board with that. It's a great thing for baseball."

Rijo is the chief administrator of the Nationals' Dominican Academy in San Cristobal.