Author Topic: [FTP] Getting to Know your Draft Picks: Paul Demny (6th Rounder) [RHP]  (Read 7679 times)

Offline JMUalumni

In continuing to look at some of the guys we drafted this year, we will take a look at 6th Rounder Paul Demny (Blinn College, TX).  I am trying to create these little blurbs on our picks so that everybody here can have centralized access to information on these guys, so we all know what to look forward to.  If you guys think I am wasting my time or just cluttering the board by doing this, let me know and I will dedicate my time to something else.  If you guys find these useful, also let me know and I can continue to do them, even for some of the guys we have in the lower leagues (GCL and Vermont).

Demny was a freshmen taken out of Blinn College in Texas (a community college), after previously be selected by the Atlanta Braves in the 2006 draft in the 12th round.  He is virtually the most unknown of our first day selections, but most definitely not the least talented.  He attended high school at the 2A East Bernard HS.  Honors that he received in 2006 at East Bernard include: All-Area, All-State, County MVP, District MVP and the Houston Chronicle Athlete of the Year.  Mostly described as a "power pitcher" with his best pitch being his fastballs, of which he has a 4-seamer and a 2-seamer.  His high school coach described him as such  "You take that athleticism and put it in a good baseball player and that's Paul."  During his senior year at East Bernard, Demny went 10-2 with a 1.28 ERA, striking out 128 batters in the 60+ innings that he pitched.  He was also quite a hitter during HS, leading his high school team his senior year in OBP, slugging percentage, doubles, and total bases.

He was used mostly as a reliever at Blinn and amassed 53 SO over 51.1 IP.  As you can see from the scouting report below, his main problem is his mechanics and is a problem which is completely fixable with the right coaching, some reports declaring without such problems he would have been considered a top pitching prospect.  He obviously has a bit of a ways to go before he would be able to be considered a guy that could make the National's squad and had a 4.29 ERA last season, allowing 56 hits in those 51.1 innings that he pitched.  It appears, though, that his command is right where it needs to be, as he posted a 24:53 BB:SO ratio at Blinn.  It is of little consequence to note his 2-4 W-L record, as he appeared mostly in relief..  Not that it translates into talent, but it seems, from his comments online, that he is a team player and a hard worker, willing to put in the extra time to get things right.

PGCC's scouting report:
"Paul Demny is a 2007 RHP with a 6'3'', 215 lb. frame from East Bernard, TX who attends East Bernard. He has a strong, mature athletic build and very good raw arm strength. Demny's fastball was up to 94 mph and was pretty consistently 92 mph when throwing 4-seamers. He threw some 2-seamers at 87-88 that had good life and were effective, also. He curveball was 76 mph and flashed very good spin at times. The whole issue with Demny are his mechanics, he didn't throw many pitches from the same delivery and release point, ranging all the way from over the top to low 3/4's. His best mechanics look to be a mid 3/4's drop and drive style. When he gains some consistency he could see his stuff really come on because he has top draft prospect talent."

Also from PGCC (2006):
"Paul Demny is a 2007 RHP from East Bernard HS, residing in East Bernard, TX, with a 6'2" 200 lb. frame. Ranked #12 among PG National Top 100 pitchers. Body - strong build, power type, durable. Pitching - over the top slot, slight cross body delivery, good rhythm, good body control, power stuff, ok arm action, live arm, good arm speed, some effort, stays balanced, stiff front leg, aggressive, lets it fly, FB has lots life down in zone, dirty FB, effectively wild, hitters uncomfortable, hard SL, CU has arm side movement, downhill angle with all. Not fun to hit against. Early draft potential, Aflac All American."

In summation (from BP):

A beefy power arm with mechanical and command issues.

He signed with the Nationals on 06/13 and has already started a game for the GCL Nationals.  He pitched two innings, allowing one hit and one unearned run, but also struck out three batters.  He projects best to be a future reliever for the club and one that will be able to strike guys out when needed.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
You are a tenacious researcher. Thanks for contributing!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I personally feel that contributions of this sort are valuable to the forum.  I try to bring stuff here that maybe other people don't see otherwise - Baseball Prospectus, for example - and appreciate when others do as well.

I don't have the energy or time to dig into the minors much, but still like reading it.

Offline sportsfan882

I think it's great. It's nice to have someone else on here to talk about the Minor league system with.

Offline Obed_Marsh

This is extremely interesting. Thank you for taking the time to do it. :)

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
JMU alumni - great job and please keep 'em coming!!  I have to depend on these kind of summaries to get the low down on the new kids as I don't have the time to do much on my own.  Thank you!

Offline JMUalumni

Thanks for the responses, it appears that these posts will be helpful/useful to enough of you guys where I will not mind continuing them.  I will continue to look at our draft picks tomorrow (I am going to hold off on the ones that have yet to sign... for now) and will then continue by looking at some of our guys in the minor leagues.  Like I said before, my aim in all of this is to provide a basis for everyone here to form their opinions about our guys before they reach the major leagues.  Many times we dont hear of players until they are at AA or AAA, now hopefully we will know about them long before that.  As always, comments (both negative and positive) are welcome and encouraged.  To the future...

Offline JMUalumni

Paul Demny (6th rounder) got the start today, but they only left him in for 2 innings as Demny is projected to be a reliever.  He allowed no hits and one walk, striking out one.  So far this season, Demny is sporting a 2.17 ERA in 8.2 innings of work.  He has allowed only 3 hits and 3 walks, while striking out 11 batters.  I am not sure, yet, if the Nationals will leave him down at GCL for the season or try him at Vermont.  My hunch is a dose of GCL for this season and Vermont or Hagerstown next year, depending on his showing in remainder of the season.

Offline JMUalumni

Demny is now 4-0 for the season with the GCL Nats.  He has let up only one run in his last five starts.  In his start today, he pitched 6.0 scoreless innings, let up only 3 hits and struck out 8 batters (0 walks). 

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
This guy may actually pan out.  I say hold this guy back as long as possible - not too long.  Slow and steady wins the race.  I don't want to see another prospect shuttled through only to destroy confidence.  I'm going to watch this guy.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
I think it's great. It's nice to have someone else on here to talk about the Minor league system with.
Hey! Hey!

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Demny went five strong innings tonight.  He constantly hit 94 MPH but didn't seem to have a solid second pitch.  He threw a curve and what seemed like a straight change.   He struck out seven and most, if not all, we're on the fastball.  I'm not sure when a pitcher reaches his max velocity but another 1-2 MPH would be very impressive.  I also have no idea where this guy stands as far as talent in their organization. 

Offline sportsfan882

Seems to me like his best shot is as a reliever. The organization thinks fairly high of him. He's been sent to the AFL and they even called him up to AAA to make a spot start last week.

Offline Mr Clean

Demny so far tonight:

7 IP  1 hit  0 runs  6 K   2 bb

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Demny got hit hard yesterday.  6 IP   8 hits   6 runs (5 earned)   6K   1 BB

Offline Clever

1.72 ERA in 31.1 relief innings at Harrisburg. He has 9.8 K/9 but 5.7 BB/9  :shock:

Still has a shot.