Author Topic: Nats sign undrafted JMU outfielder Brett Sellers  (Read 3381 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2008/06/sellers_signed_by_nationals.html

Sellers signed by Nationals
Posted by ERIC EPLER, For The Patriot-News June 23, 2008 22:39PM
Categories: HS baseball

James Madison University

Brett Sellers was signed a free agent deal with the Washington NationalsBypassed earlier this month during Major League Baseball's Amateur Draft, James Madison outfielder Brett Sellers found an alternate route to professional baseball. Sellers, the former Greencastle-Antrim standout, recently signed a free agent contract with the Washington Nationals.

Sellers, who hit a crisp .410 with 18 doubles and 17 home runs to help the Dukes (39-19) reach the NCAA Regionals this season, underwent a physical and light workout at the Nationals' Training Complex in Viera (Fla.) this morning. The JMU redshirt junior, signed by scout Alex Smith, will be assigned to the Gulf Coast (Rookie) League this week.

An All-Colonial Athletic Association pick this season, Sellers made 53 starts in 55 games for the Dukes and ranked in the top 25 nationally in average and slugging percentage. The versatile 6-4, 220-pounder also swiped 16 bases. He struck out just 22 times in 256 plate appearances and Sellers' .410 clip was the 10th-best single-season mark in JMU history.

Before transferring to JMU, Sellers hit .383 with 28 RBIs to help Potomac State to the 2005 JUCO World Series in Colorado

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Good for him, but he gets to take his lumps in the GCL instead of reporting to Vermont.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Good for him, but he gets to take his lumps in the GCL instead of reporting to Vermont.

Maybe our own JMU expert could let us in on what position he plays.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
Maybe our own JMU expert could let us in on what position he plays.

From the article:
"....James Madison outfielder Brett Sellers found an alternate route to professional baseball."

Offline JMUalumni

Awesome!  Just got done with all my work this morning and saw this news.  Sellers is a guy that could end up being a real steal in the end (obviously I am a little bit biased), but seriously he came through with a break-out season this year after being injured in his most of his first two seasons.  He led the team in nearly every category this year, a team that made the CWS Super Regional for the first time in 7 years.  He had an unbelievable performance to save the Dukes from elimination in the super regional against Charlotte, going 3 for 4, with a HR, a 2B, 3 RBIs and 3 runs.  He barely ever strikes out, 22 in 222 at bats.  He can run on the base paths, scoring a bunch of runs and stealing a decent amount of bases this year (16 out of 21 attempts).  His total bases this season (166) ranks as the 2nd best in an individual season in JMU history, and also is in the history books for his single season AVG (.410), as well as some other categories like RBIs and slugging percentage.  He was a first-team All-conference, ranked in the top 5 in the CAA in various categories, and was also part of the 64 man reduced list for consideration in choosing the Brooks Wallace National Player of the Year award. 

Like I said, I could not believe he was not selected in the draft, even in one of the late rounds.  I think scouts shied away from him because of his injuries in his first two season and the fact that he has only really played one full season.  But, I have seen the kid play in person (many times) and he is gamer and when we first got him years ago he was one of the most highly praised recruits our program had ever gotten..  If he ever makes it to the major leagues, it is because he is an extremely hard worker with something to prove, has all the tools and has excellent plate presence, not to mention is a great outfielder who can play at all three spots (rarely makes errors, plays the ball with great instincts), he projects better to the corner spots, though.  Just a guess, but he should be able to provide the team with some actual scouting reports/knowledge on JMU players instead of allowing the west coast teams who actually send their scouts and in essence rape my college of all their prospects (we have two pitchers that will be eligible in 2010 that are nasty).  He joins fellow team Steven Caseres (who was drafted by the Dodgers in the Ninth round) and Kellen Kublacki (drafted first round by Padres in 07) as JMU players in the big leagues this year.

Great recommendation by Nationals scout Alex Smith!  :worship:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
From the article:
"....James Madison outfielder Brett Sellers found an alternate route to professional baseball."

:-[     :?   

(thanks)

Offline JMUalumni

I would like to give Sellers a little shout out for his performance in his first three games in the GCL for the Nationals.  He has already earned himself a starting position in the outfield and in 11 at-bats he has hit safely 5 times (at least once in each game).  Additionally, he has only struck out once and drove in 2 runs.  His 5 hits have already amounted to 7 TB (he has 2 2B), something that he does very well... getting extra bases.  I think when all is said and done, the addition of Brett as an unsigned free agent will be a steal.  As I had mentioned before, many people passed on Sellers, I assume, because of his previous injury history.  But from what I have heard and the people I have talked to, these injuries are in his past and will most likely stay there.  Kudos Brett, continue the good work :clap: