Author Topic: Watch Burgess, Rhinehart and Rooney tonight!!!  (Read 2040 times)

Offline hammondsnats

In case you didn't know you can watch tonight's Single A South Atlantic All-Star game featuring Hagerstown Suns OF Michael Burgess (batting 5th) and 1B Bill Rhinehart (batting 3rd).  Catcher Sean Rooney is a reserve. 

http://www.greensborosports.com/2008/06/17/south-atlantic-all-star-game-live-video/

Offline hammondsnats

Bill Rhinehart hits a two run longggggggg shot to right for a 2-run homer.  2-0 good guys.

Offline JMUalumni

I dont know if its my computer, but its kinda of hard to see.  Burgess hit 2 HRs (although the announcers kept saying 3) on a 6 out system.

Offline JMUalumni

I did not get to catch the first round (apparently there was a lot more HRs in that round), but Burgess wins the Derby with 2 HRs against Montera's (sp?) 1 HR.

Offline GMUTrkstar

Is there a link to the reults or video of the HR derby?

Offline sportsfan882

Not sure. I'd like to see it though.

Wow, look at Rhinehart. 3/3 with a HR and 3 RBIs. He might get the All Star Game MVP if they have such an award.

Offline JMUalumni

Is there a link to the reults or video of the HR derby?

I havent found one yet, I watched it on the link above live.  I expect a video might float around tomorrow.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Hmm would watch it but its  a funny thing know that summer has started I don't feel like / have time for posting, because of how boring and just horrible the team is.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Hmm would watch it but its  a funny thing know that summer has started I don't feel like / have time for posting, because of how boring and just horrible the team is.
And this has to do with it all b/c I am to lazy to watch something in low quality because all I can think of is them being traded for washed up former Reds in late July in the up coming years.

Offline JMUalumni

Have not found any good videos yet, but heres a good recap:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080617&content_id=418972&vkey=news_l116&fext=.jsp&sid=l116&sid=milb
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Michael Burgess of the Hagerstown Suns won Home Run Derby at the South Atlantic League All-Star Game on Tuesday night, edging Charleston RiverDogs catcher Jesus Montero, 2-1, in the finals.
Burgess hit 16 homers over three rounds of the competition, while Montero totaled 11.

"It was really cool," Burgess said, adding he hadn't won a home run derby since high school. "I just tried to keep my head down and put a line drive on it."

After the first two rounds were held before the game, the finals took place between the second and third innings.

"It was pretty tough because that's the first time I ever had to do something like that, where I have to play and then think about the Home Run Derby at the same time," Burgess said.

Fans arriving late missed quite a show in the early rounds.

After hitting five homers in the opening round, Burgess awed the crowd in the second by launching nine out of NewBridge Bank Park with only six "outs." It wasn't just the quantity, however, but the quality. The left-handed hitter slugged several balls into the Greensboro skyline beyond the right-field fence, including a few that cleared the 70-foot scoreboard in right-center.

In the game itself:
Rhinehart went 3/3 with a HR and 3 RBIs and was named the MVP of the game
Burgess was 0/3 with a groundout RBI
Sean Rooney was 1/1

Rhinehart should be in line for a call up to Potomac sometime soon, but it may difficult to find a way to fit him in with Marrero playing 1B.  I dont know what their plans are for Lefave at Harrisburg, but they might have to do something with him in order for Rhinehart to get the promotion.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!

Rhinehart should be in line for a call up to Potomac sometime soon, but it may difficult to find a way to fit him in with Marrero playing 1B.  I dont know what their plans are for Lefave at Harrisburg, but they might have to do something with him in order for Rhinehart to get the promotion.

I think Lfavre has been playing outfield as of late, and Jimenez is the usual 1B in Harrisburg.  His stats are not bad, and he does not deserve a demotion to Potomac.  It's a real log jam at 1B.  Broadway, IMO, is the weakest link, but he seems to be doing enough to keep himself in Columbus.  A real bold move would have to made in order to promote Rhinehart - either move Bill to OF or send a 1B down, which no 1B in the org really deserves right now.  Tough decision!! 

Offline First Base Lady

Rhinehart went 3/3 with a HR and 3 RBIs and was named the MVP of the game

That's MY boy!!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
That's MY boy!!!

Chris Marrero left his game injured today, though we don't know how bad it is.  If he goes out for a while, it may open the door for Rhinehart to step up a level.  It would be hard to argue he isn't ready.

Guess you'll have to make another trip down south, huh?

Offline JMUalumni

I think Lfavre has been playing outfield as of late, and Jimenez is the usual 1B in Harrisburg.  His stats are not bad, and he does not deserve a demotion to Potomac.  It's a real log jam at 1B.  Broadway, IMO, is the weakest link, but he seems to be doing enough to keep himself in Columbus.  A real bold move would have to made in order to promote Rhinehart - either move Bill to OF or send a 1B down, which no 1B in the org really deserves right now.  Tough decision!! 

Yeah I forgot about Jimenez, but Lefave has been splitting time with Jimenez at first.  Even Montz has been used at first in a few spare cases, so yeah there is real big logjam.  My prediction, depending if Marrero will be out more than a few days, is that Rhinehart will get the call up to Potomac for a little bit.  If he does well and Marrero comes back, maybe they can find a way to keep him on the roster playing DH.  Also, Leonard Davis could be called up soon, so that could free up 3B (I dont know if Marrero or Rhinehart can play 3B), but I know Marrero used to play outfield and they may be able to use him in LF where we have been getting pedestrian production out of Lowrance and Brown.  I know this all sounds quite unrealistic, Im just trying to brainstorm up some possibilities to make sure Rhinehart got moved up.  It seems as though they will have to get creative to do it.

Offline Skinz72

This Marrero injury sure is good timing, so to speak, for Rhinehart.  He's almost a improvement, IMO - though Marrero ain't that bad and is possibly getting better (.412 last 10 games with 8 RBI's / 2 HR's).  I guess it depends on how long the doctor will have him stay out of the lineup for.  Looks like 2B Trevor Lawhorn replaced Marrero for the game, who himself is not a bad player.  Most people think Marrero is the IT player for the future, but I think Big Bill has a future ahead of him, too.

Offline ronnynat

More on Burgess and the HR Derby.

The night began with the first two rounds of the Home Run Derby, which started before the game and culminated with the final round after the second inning. Among the competitors were Hagerstown’s Michael Burgess (Nationals), Rome’s Freddie Freeman (Braves), Charleston’s Jesus Montero (Yankees) and Greensboro’s Mike Stanton (Marlins), who was entered in the derby as a "wild card" despite not being chosen for the North Division’s All-Star Team. Stanton leads the Sally League with 15 home runs at the break.

"It should be fun, but I ain’t gonna try to do a lot," Burgess said before the derby.

Whether he really wanted to or not, Burgess did indeed put on the best show of the contest. He hit five home runs in the first round, including one that cleared the big scoreboard in right-center field, but the best was yet to come. The powerful, lefty-swinging 19-year-old cranked nine long balls in the second round, including several tape-measure shots that looked like they threatened the buildings across the street beyond the right field fence.

"I was kinda worried about (hitting balls onto the street) too, because that’s a little dangerous," Burgess said after the game. "You never know, you might have an older lady driving, could cause a freak accident or something like that, so I just prayed to God nobody got hurt out there."

Listed at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, Burgess is built like a rock and there’s no doubting his power stroke, both because of the show he put on last night and because he’s second in the league with 14 home runs at the break.

Burgess won the crown after hitting two more in the finals.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1179

Offline Skinz72

Yeah - he's got power.  I wish he plate discipline.  83 SO's with 23 BB. 

Offline JMUalumni

Just wanted to check into Bill Rhinehart a little more to see what I could find on him.  Found a couple interesting tidbits.

From the AU website:

The first UA position player selected in the 2007 draft, Rhinehart recently wrapped up his career at Arizona on absolute fire. The left-handed hitting senior hit for the cycle twice in his last seven games and became just the third player since 1950 to lead the Wildcats in batting average (.372), RBI (66) and home runs (13). He finished his Wildcat career on a 16-game hitting streak.

Some interesting stuff from NFA posted last year:

Finally. A bat. Bill Rhinehart made himself known from day one in Vermont, driving in runs at a spectacular rate, thirteen RBI in his first twelve games. His bat is his calling card though he likely has the ceiling of a major league reserve. He played 1B for Vermont in 2007 but don’t be surprised if the Nationals try him out as a corner outfielder in 2008. Depending upon how the roster depth shakes out, Rhinehart could start out next season as high as Harrisburg though Potomac seems more reasonable.

Interesting that NFA mentioned he might be able to play as a corner outfielder, maybe thats his ticket to getting more playing time at the higher minor league levels, for now at least.  Also, it was cool to see that he hit for the cycle TWICE in his last seven games at Arizona.  I could not find much on his fielding abilities and as I have not seen him in person yet, I cannot really comment.  Seems like he could be a good guy to bring off the bench one day and who knows he might eventually be able to work his way into the starting roster.  I could also see the Nationals eventually trading him one day for a fairly decent return.  We will see...