Author Topic: Watch Burgess, Rhinehart and Rooney tonight!!!  (Read 2041 times)

Offline ronnynat

More on Burgess and the HR Derby.

The night began with the first two rounds of the Home Run Derby, which started before the game and culminated with the final round after the second inning. Among the competitors were Hagerstown’s Michael Burgess (Nationals), Rome’s Freddie Freeman (Braves), Charleston’s Jesus Montero (Yankees) and Greensboro’s Mike Stanton (Marlins), who was entered in the derby as a "wild card" despite not being chosen for the North Division’s All-Star Team. Stanton leads the Sally League with 15 home runs at the break.

"It should be fun, but I ain’t gonna try to do a lot," Burgess said before the derby.

Whether he really wanted to or not, Burgess did indeed put on the best show of the contest. He hit five home runs in the first round, including one that cleared the big scoreboard in right-center field, but the best was yet to come. The powerful, lefty-swinging 19-year-old cranked nine long balls in the second round, including several tape-measure shots that looked like they threatened the buildings across the street beyond the right field fence.

"I was kinda worried about (hitting balls onto the street) too, because that’s a little dangerous," Burgess said after the game. "You never know, you might have an older lady driving, could cause a freak accident or something like that, so I just prayed to God nobody got hurt out there."

Listed at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, Burgess is built like a rock and there’s no doubting his power stroke, both because of the show he put on last night and because he’s second in the league with 14 home runs at the break.

Burgess won the crown after hitting two more in the finals.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1179