Author Topic: 2008 Draft signing status  (Read 9532 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2008 Draft signing status
« Topic Start: June 17, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
UPDATED through 6-23, new signings indicated in red

Here's the list of 2008 draftees, with those signed through yesterday highlighted in blue.

So far, 10 of the top 20 have been signed, and 9 of the next 20.

Not sure if anybody noticed, but we drafted another Zimmerman.    :worship:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: 2008 Draft signing status
« Reply #1: June 17, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »
We better sign Espinosa. Sounds like kind of a big body for a SS, but maybe he's the next Cal Ripken :P

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: June 17, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
I think there's a decent chance Espinoza and Stouffer switch positions at some point.  Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: June 17, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
Tom, Any idea how many first rounders have signed?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: June 17, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
Tom, Any idea how many first rounders have signed?

No, I don't really know a good place to get that sort of information short of reading every team site and compiling it myself, which I'm not going to do.  I had to compile the list above manually, as well, but that only took about a half-hour. 

I believe the Nats also signed an undrafted FA or two, next update I'm going to add those to the list.

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: June 17, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »
No, I don't really know a good place to get that sort of information short of reading every team site and compiling it myself, which I'm not going to do.  I had to compile the list above manually, as well, but that only took about a half-hour. 

I believe the Nats also signed an undrafted FA or two, next update I'm going to add those to the list.

I was hoping you knew of a place. Normally the first rounders sign in draft order but I wanted to get a read on what Hood might expect.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: June 17, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
Cool, thanks.  Only 4 first rounders signed so far.

I forgot about the CWS. That'll slow down the signings til it's over.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: June 17, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »
I forgot about the CWS. That'll slow down the signings til it's over.

So we still have three of our draft picks involved in the CWS, right?

1.  Harold Coleman (LSU)
2.  Christopher Kelley (Rice)
3.  Juan Padron (Rice)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: June 17, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »
Coleman is pitching right now and for LSU.  Kelly started today for Rice going 5.2 without giving up a run striking out 2 and walking 3.  Padron hasn't done much from the plate yet today.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: June 17, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
Kelley and Padron are both seniors, shouldn't have any problem getting them signed once they're done.

Coleman is a JR and is generally considered the best arm on the LSU staff.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #12: June 17, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Coleman is pitching right now and for LSU.  Kelly started today for Rice going 5.2 without giving up a run striking out 2 and walking 3.  Padron hasn't done much from the plate yet today.

DPM, I missed the game today, it appears you may have caught the action.  Kelly seemed to have a very good outing, how did Coleman end up pitching and anything from Padron?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #13: June 18, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »
Rice lost. :( *cries*

J.P. Padron, incidentally, was one of the Conference USA league leaders for batting average, batting slightly over .350. I've seen him play a couple times; he can be relied on to hit a lot, but not for power, and there's nothing especially notable about him, I suppose, except that he goes to an excellent university. :D

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #14: June 18, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
Rice lost. :( *cries*

J.P. Padron, incidentally, was one of the Conference USA league leaders for batting average, batting slightly over .350. I've seen him play a couple times; he can be relied on to hit a lot, but not for power, and there's nothing especially notable about him, I suppose, except that he goes to an excellent university. :D

Thanks for the insight, I like hearing about these players before they get to the minor leagues, especially the college guys.  It allows me to see how much the two games differ, but also helps me see what their strengths might be while I watch them move up through the minors. 

Now if we could only draft somebody from JMU.  Hopefully they will give a look to RHP Turner Phelps in the future who had an amazing Freshman season, but will not be eligible for another two seasons.  Im sick of the West Coast teams drafting our players like the Padres (Kulbacki) and Dodgers (Caseres).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #15: June 18, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »
DPM, I missed the game today, it appears you may have caught the action.  Kelly seemed to have a very good outing, how did Coleman end up pitching and anything from Padron?

Not live, I was following along on live stats and got the info from the box score.  I wish I was able to watch it but alas, the bills keep coming so I'm stuck at a desk for now.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #16: June 18, 2008, 02:33:28 AM »
I'm going to say this now, so in five years, I can quote myself, and let a big "I knew it" rip...

We should have drafted Justin Smoak.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #17: June 18, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
I'm going to say this now, so in five years, I can quote myself, and let a big "I knew it" rip...

We should have drafted Justin Smoak.

Crow, Smoak, flip a coin.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: June 18, 2008, 09:15:01 AM »
Maybe, but at the time of the draft, I think when you're deciding between the top pitcher who projects as an ace and the top hitter who projects as a power hitter, I think you take the pitcher nearly every time.  And, yes, I know we need the sticks, but this, IMO, was an easy decision.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #19: June 18, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the insight, I like hearing about these players before they get to the minor leagues, especially the college guys.  It allows me to see how much the two games differ, but also helps me see what their strengths might be while I watch them move up through the minors. 

Now if we could only draft somebody from JMU.  Hopefully they will give a look to RHP Turner Phelps in the future who had an amazing Freshman season, but will not be eligible for another two seasons.  Im sick of the West Coast teams drafting our players like the Padres (Kulbacki) and Dodgers (Caseres).
If there is any Rice player the Nationals should watch, it is surely shortstop Rick Hague, a rather dazzling young freshman who needs to work on defense a bit but already has great clutch hitting.

By the way, J.P. Padron had 8 errors this season in 600 opportunities.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #20: June 18, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
Maybe, but at the time of the draft, I think when you're deciding between the top pitcher who projects as an ace and the top hitter who projects as a power hitter, I think you take the pitcher nearly every time.  And, yes, I know we need the sticks, but this, IMO, was an easy decision.

i'm gonna say this right now. Crow does not have ace potential. he barely has number one potential. he throws all of two pitches, a slider and fastball. a changeup will probably be worked in, but he'd need a fourth pitch that is at least ok. so we definitely should have drafted Smoak.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: June 19, 2008, 01:43:52 AM »
You've never seen him pitch then.  The kid's got ace potential, without a doubt.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #22: June 19, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
You've never seen him pitch then.  The kid's got ace potential, with out a doubt.

Yeah, what about "best fastball in the draft" is hard to understand, or hard to realize how bad we need a pitcher like that?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: June 19, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
Here's Kevin Goldstein's draft preview summary of Crow:

7. Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri
What He Is: The best pure power arm coming out of college ranks.
What He’s Not: In possession of a clean arm action or a good changeup.
In A Perfect World He Becomes: A top-tier starting pitcher.
Backup Plan: Closer.
Open Issues: He dominated at the beginning and end of the season, but had pretty big blip in the middle of year when he was very hittable; potential injury concerns?

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #24: June 19, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Yeah, what about "best fastball in the draft" is hard to understand, or hard to realize how bad we need a pitcher like that?

we do need a pitcher like that, but looking at last nights game especially, we need someone who can it the ball. and a pitcher can't have one pitch, no matter how good it is.