Author Topic: Nationals Draft Pick Discussion Thread  (Read 8907 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: Nationals Draft Pick Discussion Thread
« Reply #25: June 05, 2008, 05:12:47 PM »
Do you guys think he could be in the majors by September next year or even earlier?

Online ronnynat

« Reply #26: June 05, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
Do you guys think he could be in the majors by September next year or even earlier?

I think most see him as being better than Detwiler, so I don't see why not.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #27: June 05, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
We "drafted" Mamie "Peanut" Johnson too.

Pitcher Mamie "Peanut" Johnson (she was only 5-foot-4 and 120 pounds, hence the nickname) will be drafted by the Washington Nationals. She won 33 games for the Indianapolis Clowns from 1953 to '55, making her the first woman to win a game in a men's professional baseball league. She was once a teammate of Hank Aaron, and was included in the first group of eight players inducted into the Negro Leagues Wall of Fame at County Stadium in Milwaukee in 1997.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=3424551

Watching our major league squad lately, I'm thinking we should take a cue and become the Washington Clowns.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: June 05, 2008, 05:25:55 PM »
Nice find Thom.  I had no idea that Charlie "Kiss and angel good morning" Pride was a baseball player, let alone such a good one.  He shore could sing purty, though. 

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #29: June 05, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »
Anyone knows if draft is gonna go faster? it took one hour and more to finish the first round.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: June 05, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
They flew through the compensatory picks.  It will pick up considerably once they get past the first couple of rounds.  They've got 45 rounds tomorrow to get through, they'll have to go pretty quickly then.

MrMadison

« Reply #31: June 05, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »
when is our next pick?

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #32: June 05, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
when is our next pick?

55, draft is back, dogders took Lobstein (good pick)

Online ronnynat

« Reply #33: June 05, 2008, 06:24:25 PM »
when is our next pick?

#55 (8 picks away)

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #34: June 05, 2008, 06:25:18 PM »
Damn, pirates just took Scheppers (what a steal if he recovers quick from the injury he had)

Online ronnynat

« Reply #35: June 05, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »
Scheppers was still available?!! :shock:

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #36: June 05, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »
I have heard that the nats really like Nieto, if he isnt gone by #55 , I see us taking him. Although, I would more lean towards Ladendorf but thats just me.

MrMadison

« Reply #37: June 05, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »
we're up.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #38: June 05, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »
Nationals select Destin Hood (OF) out of Saints Pauls Episcopal HS. Solid pick, the guy who writes for NFA took him in a mock draft I beleive.

MrMadison

« Reply #39: June 05, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »
original post updated.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• Photos
« Reply #40: June 05, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
Destin Hood apparently is expected to be hard to sign as he's also a football player but he wants to play baseball.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=hood

MrMadison

« Reply #41: June 05, 2008, 06:35:43 PM »
NFA:

he Washington Nationals select Alabama OF Destin Hood

BBA Scouting … “Hood showed his raw power and lightning-quick bat speed when he tied for the home run derby title at the Aflac Classic last fall. Raw and electric are two words scouts use to describe Hood. He has four raw tools but each with above-average projection. An exceptional athlete with a combination of strength and speed, Hood is signed to play football (wide receiver) and baseball at Alabama. At the plate, Hood has bat speed and raw power to rival anyone in this draft class, but his hit tool is currently lacking as he often swings and misses. A shortstop in high school, Hood will most definitely be moved to the outfield due to his below-average arm strength. He is a plus runner, and although his instincts are under-developed, could be an average defender in the future. The team that drafts Hood will believe in his ability to eventually hit. Upon reaching high ceiling, Hood projects as a middle of the order impact bat.”

PGCC scouting … “Hood made his mark at Perfect Game’s National Showcase in Cincinnati last June, then followed up with strong performances in World Wood Bat Association events in July and the Aflac All-American game in August to establish his baseball prospect credentials before returning to football. In Cincinnati, Hood hit a showcase-best six home runs in batting practice and made it look easy as the ball came off his bat differently than almost every other hitter. As one of the top wide receivers in Alabama and a recruiting target of a number of college football powers, his athletic skills are obvious, including 6.4 speed in the 60 and overall strength. But Hood showed baseball skills and actions that, although raw, were more advanced and natural than most two-sport/primary football athletes. As a high school shortstop, Hood hit .517-4-36 with 43 stolen bases as a junior but his best baseball position at the next level will be as a center fielder. Hood was a two-sport, all-state selection as a junior but after last summer it looks like his primary sport may be baseball, not football—though he signed a football scholarship with Alabama & Hood didn’t play all that impressively as a senior, either at the plate or in the field, but scouts were more interested in his tools and raw athletic ability. They stood out in workouts. His bat, in particular, remains one of the best in the entire draft. Balls explode off his bat and he has well above-average power potential. He spent the season at shortstop because of team need, but it’s a given that he will play either left field or center field down the road. The big issue remains signability. It could be an issue if he slides to the third or fourth round, but most observers believe he’ll be gone in the sandwich round, or second round at the latest”

I’m two for two. Nothing like a toolsy OF for Jim Bowden. Seriously though, if they get Hood signed, it’s a solid upside gamble for the Nationals. I might have preferred Adrian Nieto slightly but you can’t go wrong with the Hood selection.

MrMadison

« Reply #42: June 05, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
Destin Hood apparently is expected to be hard to sign as he's also a football player but he wants to play baseball.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp?mc=hood

they said he's one of the best high School WR in the nation, and he has a scholarship to Alabama to play Football.

Online ronnynat

« Reply #43: June 05, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
He runs a 4.5 40.

5-tool? It looks like A LOT of football fans were pretty upset about his choice to play baseball over football. He was expected to play for Alabama.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #44: June 05, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Wow, we seriously got Crow? I thought he was supposed to be top 5 stuff.

Online ronnynat

« Reply #45: June 05, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
I have a feeling he won't sign.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #46: June 05, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
I have heard that the nats really like Nieto, if he isnt gone by #55 , I see us taking him. Although, I would more lean towards Ladendorf but thats just me.
Whoever this Nieto guy is, he's still on the board after #78. Nobody whose last name starts with N has been drafted so far.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• Photos
« Reply #47: June 05, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
Whoever this Nieto guy is, he's still on the board after #78. Nobody whose last name starts with N has been drafted so far.

Switch hitting catcher. Looks interesting.
http://rays.scout.com/a.z?s=322&p=2&c=757593

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #48: June 05, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
Our third pick coming up in a couple minutes. That Nieto guy is still available.

EDIT: Thanks for that link. Apparently he has since dumped USF.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #49: June 05, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »
Presenting the newest National ... shortstop Daniel Espinosa of Cal State!

MLB's scouting report:
"Yes, it's another shortstop from Long Beach State. This one doesn't have quite the offensive skill set that his predecessors had, but he can handle the bat a little bit. Defensively, he's got outstanding instincts and a plus arm."