Author Topic: Baseball card Examiner series  (Read 967 times)

natsfan1a

Baseball card Examiner series
« Topic Start: May 23, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »
Just stumbled across this Examiner series that may be of interest to card collectors:

http://www.examiner.com/x-314-Baseball-Card-Examiner~y2008m4d28-Introduction

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Baseball card Examiner series
« Reply #1: May 23, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
COOL.  I started collecting Cal cards.  However, when each manufacturer started publishing different lines (Fleer, Fleer Ultra, Fleer Tradition.....) and those would have parallel sets, insert cards, etc; it got a bit overwhelming, even if you're just collecting 1 player.  I still go to shows and get cards but not as many as I used to.

« Reply #2: May 23, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »
I used to collect mainly Upper Deck, Topps, and Leaf of everything I could get my hands on. Now I am strictly just Washington Nationals of any brand. My collection is getting too big for it's britches! :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: August 05, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
Nice score for the gambler.

Chris Rothe hit the jackpot this weekend with the stuff of penny candy.

Sixty-three years after Mickey Mantle’s picture went inside packs of Bowman bubble gum, a pristine copy of the Yankee slugger’s 1955 card turned up Friday in a pack that was opened onstage at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland.

Rothe is the lucky guy who scored the card.

The picture was done in Bowman’s distinctive horizontal format, with a brown frame to evoke early TV screens. Professional Sports Authenticator, a company that authenticates and grades collectibles, gave the Mantle card a score of 9 out of 10.

“It’s the nicest ’55 Bowman Mickey Mantle I’ve ever seen,” said Leighton Sheldon, whose young company, Vintage Breaks, organized the sale.

Rothe, who lives in a Baltimore suburb, has spent his life working with other printed goods in his family’s bookbinding business. He plunked down $500 for the chance to own one of the unseen cards inside.

Now he’s fielding offers of $50,000 or more for the card, which was slot No. 19 in the pack. Others in the cellophane-enclosed pack opened Friday included Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer Ernie “Mr. Cub” Banks and Brooklyn Dodger standout Jim Gilliam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/08/05/maryland-collector-snags-mickey-mantle-baseball-card-with-value-of-at-least-50000/?utm_term=.86f90e74d06f