Author Topic: Roger Bernadina  (Read 2981 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Roger Bernadina
« Reply #25: June 24, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
WTF! Bernadina's on the 40-man roster?! I really didn't know that. Why the hell isn't he our leadoff hitter right now? I'm guessing he'll get the call once WMP is dropped or traded, but come on! We haven't had a legitimate leadoff hitter here...ever.

Offline hammondsnats

• LAC 8)
« Reply #26: June 24, 2008, 12:42:17 AM »
WTF! Bernadina's on the 40-man roster?! I really didn't know that. Why the hell isn't he our leadoff hitter right now? I'm guessing he'll get the call once WMP is dropped or traded, but come on! We haven't had a legitimate leadoff hitter here...ever.

per Nationals.com

"Don't look for the Nationals to make a roster move regarding Pena anytime soon, according to a baseball source. Pena is out of options, and the team is not going to give up on him because of his potential to hit a lot of home runs and drive in a lot of runs."

If only we got rid of him, Felipe, Lenny Harris and Joel Hanrahan we may have a few more wins.  CALL UP ROGER!!!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #27: June 24, 2008, 12:42:19 AM »

I think they are letting him hone the swing a little more and try to improve his eye just a little more.  He has really been having an incredible season and think that he could end up being a great leadoff guy one day.  I think it is too early to call him up in the season, though, because it will take him a while to adjust to the major league pitching and people will be calling for his head before he has a chance to succeed.  I am looking forward to a late August or early September call up.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #28: June 24, 2008, 12:48:21 AM »
I think they are letting him hone the swing a little more and try to improve his eye just a little more.  He has really been having an incredible season and think that he could end up being a great leadoff guy one day.  I think it is too early to call him up in the season, though, because it will take him a while to adjust to the major league pitching and people will be calling for his head before he has a chance to succeed.  I am looking forward to a late August or early September call up.

If he's on the 40-man, though, why would they wait that long while he IS playing well this season? I don't think it's b/c they think he's not ready yet. I think it has to do w/ the fact that there is no room on our roster for another outfielder right now. The only way he gets a shot is if Pena gets the boot or Casto gets sent back down. Also, Kearns will be back soon, so that gives Bernadina even a smaller chance of getting the call. Sucks.

We really would have a ridiculously young outfield if he started here, though.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #29: June 24, 2008, 12:58:30 AM »
If he's on the 40-man, though, why would they wait that long while he IS playing well this season? I don't think it's b/c they think he's not ready yet. I think it has to do w/ the fact that there is no room on our roster for another outfielder right now. The only way he gets a shot is if Pena gets the boot or Casto gets sent back down. Also, Kearns will be back soon, so that gives Bernadina even a smaller chance of getting the call. Sucks.

We really would have a ridiculously young outfield if he started here, though.

Oh, I agree that the roster is crowded on the top end as well.  I dont think that he is NOT ready, but I think he could be just a little more ready.  Its all my opinion in my previous statement and probably has nothing to do with the reality of the situation  (in fairness I AM injecting a bit of interpretation).  I suppose it is the way I view bringing up minor leaguers, very slowly, specifically guys that were not highly rated guys in the draft (not high picked, but highly rated).  Of course there are exceptions, guys like Lannan, and I could be wrong on this point.  I have been calling for Bernadina to get called up for the whole two weeks I have been on the forum (thats as far as I can prove in cold hard fact).  IMO, Bernadina is a success story of our farm system, I am just saying that he will not produce immediately and the organization will face immediate criticism for calling him up.  I would love to see him sooner than later, and by all means if they can free up the space to have him.  You are right though on the point that you have to clear out Casto and Pena first.

Another thing I love about him, he can bunt, something that we need (to have and to do) at the MLB level.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #30: June 28, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
Article in the Times (06/27 by Ben Goessling) about Bernadina, Ill cut a few excerpts from the article, the link is also provided below:

It's easy enough to look at the season Roger Bernadina is having at Class AA Harrisburg and see a sudden breakthrough. Washington Nationals assistant general manager Bob Boone looks at it and sees the next step in a steady progression.

The biggest thing that has changed for the Senators outfielder, Boone said, isn't something about his swing or the way he studies pitchers. It's just what happens when a talented player begins to make the lessons he has learned start to count for something.

Bernadina ranks second in the Nationals' organization in batting average (.323) and stolen bases (25). He also has played center field for the Senators while Justin Maxwell is out with a right wrist injury, working with former major leaguer Devon White to refine the way he reads fly balls.

He is working with Devon White on his fielding skills, which do need a bit of refining.  From White's presence in the minor leagues, it is becoming apparent that he is getting a sort of on the job tryout for some coaching position, maybe (EDIT) Lenny Harris' job or as coach for the outfielders.  Also, Bernadina has always had the tools, but as the article and Boone mention, it is the mental part that he is finally nailing down.  I saw that mental concentration was mentioned in the thread on Felipe Lopez and it is obvious that there is an overall lack of mental concentration on the team currently.  Glad to see the kid is pulling through at AA.

Boone said the Nationals contemplated starting Bernadina in Columbus but decided he would be better served by playing every day at Harrisburg.

"We could take him to the big leagues right from there as easy as going through Columbus," Boone said. "The biggest thing is that he gets a year of 550 at-bats."

Bernadina could move to Columbus before seeing time in the majors as a September call-up, but Boone said the Netherlands native is a good bet to reach the big leagues this fall one way or another.

I like Bernadina especially because of where he came from, The Netherlands, and you can take a guess as to where he grew up (I bet you guys can all tell what I used to do in HS  8).  But seriously, Boone confirms that he will be one of those guys called up in September and makes sense.  Guzman is not a leadoff type of guy, he gets a lot of hits, but has very little speed.  Dukes has probably solidified himself into the 2 spot and I dont know what they will do with Milledge once Zimmerman comes back (I doubt because of SO that he will be number one).  I guy like Bernadina could eventually fill in that leadoff spot.

Where he goes from there is still up for debate. He has shown the skills to be a leadoff hitter but still needs to cut down on his strikeouts. And Boone said Bernadina, who has batted third for Harrisburg, could project there in the majors, as well.

"He might be a tremendous two-hole hitter," Boone said. "You'd hope Ryan Zimmerman is going to occupy that third spot for a long time. But [Bernadina is] going to be a top-of-the-order guy."

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/27/bernadinas-next-step-might-be-the-majors/

I think a bunch of people are really going to be impressed with this kid when they get a chance to see him at the MLB level.  I think once Kearns leaves/outlives his welcome, Dukes can be moved back to Right and there might be a spot for Bernadina in left.  Until then though, he would serve as a useful fourth man off the bench, with the speed to sub him in the late innings of a game ala Willie Harris.  Depending on how the tranistion goes, he could be a fixture on this team for a while. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #31: June 28, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
He is working with Devon White on his fielding skills, which do need a bit of refining.  From White's presence in the minor leagues, it is becoming apparent that he is getting a sort of on the job tryout for some coaching position, most likely Lenny Harris' job.

I don't see White taking over for Lenny. He had mechanical flaws, himself, so that move doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe another position, though. Actually, I'd rather he stuck to working w/ the outfielders. Fielding was his strength.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: June 28, 2008, 01:28:10 PM »
I don't see White taking over for Lenny. He had mechanical flaws, himself, so that move doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe another position, though. Actually, I'd rather he stuck to working w/ the outfielders. Fielding was his strength.

I cannot say that I have enough knowledge of White's swing to accurately judge if he will be the hitting coach, I fixed the entry above from most likely to maybe.

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: June 28, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »
I thought Bernadina was from Curacao.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #34: June 28, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
I thought Bernadina was from Curacao.

Sorry I was using the term "grew up" a bit liberally.  He was in fact born in Curacao, but was discovered by one time Expos scout Chicho Jesurun and was moved to a baseball academy in Europe when he was either 14 or 15, I believe (baseball academies actually do exist in Europe and baseball is not as unknown as some in America think).  Then he was signed with a Dutch team formerly based in Amsterdam DOOR Neptunus, who play in the most competitive baseball league in the Netherlands (not the Antilles) and have won the last 6 or 7 Dutch baseball championships.  In 2001, when he was 17, he signed with the Montreal Expos, but still remained on Neptunus' roster for 4 or 5 years after (not sure how that worked out) and recently Neptunus moved from Amsterdam to Rotterdam. In a weird twist, in 2007, Bernadina who now plays for the Dutch international team, actually returned to Curacao to play a friendly against the island's team, which the Dutch team defeated 6-1.  So yeah, I should have said "spent a good portion of his life."

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: June 29, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
Bernadina just got called called up.