Author Topic: Kory Casto back!  (Read 4915 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Kory Casto back!
« Topic Start: May 18, 2008, 11:39:57 PM »
Kory Casto is back with Columbus after missing over 5-6 weeks of action.  Good to see him recover in short time. 

He went 0-for-2 with two walks playing right field.  Keep an eye on the youngster.

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Kory Casto back!
« Reply #1: May 18, 2008, 11:43:05 PM »
 :rofl: What a bust he was. He had solid numbers in the Minors in '05 and '06 but since then he has fallen off the face of the earth. Where has his HR power gone?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: May 18, 2008, 11:49:40 PM »
:rofl: What a bust he was.

When does he become a free agent?

He's still on the 40-man roster. 

I'll admit he looked lost at times in his short stints up here, but there is still time for him to pan out as a decent MLB player.  Not saying the club is going to rely on him in the future, but he's only 26. 

He is said to have excellent plate discipline and he has versatility in the fact that he can play multiple positions.  Just never translated in his 16 games as a Nat.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: May 18, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »

I'll admit he looked lost at times in his short stints up here, but there is still time for him to pan out as a decent MLB player.  Not saying the club is going to rely on him in the future, but he's only 26. 

He is said to have excellent plate discipline and he has versatility in the fact that he can play multiple positions.  Just never translated in his 16 games as a Nat.

Nor in Columbus. His patience is not what it was said to be and his HR Power is non-existent. Casto was over-hyped a few years ago because our farm system was so thin. Same can be said for Broadway.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #4: May 19, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
Nor in Columbus. His patience is not what it was said to be and his HR Power is non-existent. Casto was over-hyped a few years ago because our farm system was so thin. Same can be said for Broadway.

Good insight on that.  I could never figure out why Broadway and Casto were so highly thought of.  This makes sesne.

« Reply #5: May 19, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
Casto....oh God...he is so horrible. Maybe I've been spoiled on third base talents of Ryan Zimmerman so I can't possibly see how Casto even made it to the Major League level.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #6: May 19, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
I think injuries hurt him bad, I never expected such a downfall from Casto. I always have been impressed by him since his days in low A and I thought, when we drafted Zimmerman, that he would be up there to challenge him for the 3b spot. I guess I was wrong.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: May 19, 2008, 07:50:50 PM »

Damn it. Should have put him on waivers instead of Whitesell. Crap!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #8: May 19, 2008, 10:42:44 PM »
Kory Casto went 3-for-5 with 2 rbi's and a double.  He has a .297 clip.

Oh and Alex Escobar went 1-for-4 with his sixth double and 15th rbi and is now batting .325.  He should be the first one called up.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #9: May 19, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
Imagine how bad we must be to over hype him (farm system wise)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: May 20, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
Another nice game for Casto today: 1/3 Double, 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB. He's batting .300 (.404 OBP) in 40 ABs with Columbus this season.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: May 20, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
Casto....oh God...he is so horrible. Maybe I've been spoiled on third base talents of Ryan Zimmerman so I can't possibly see how Casto even made it to the Major League level.

Casto could find a role for himself if he rebounds.  I think the guy can play 3B, 2B, 1B and OF

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: May 22, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »
Damn, Casto is rolling. He went 2/4 with a Double, 3 RBIs, Run and a SB tonight. He's batting .318 (.412 OBP) with 1 HR and 10 RBI in 44 ABs this season in Columbus. Might he finally be turning it around?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: May 22, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »
Damn, Casto is rolling. He went 2/4 with a Double, 3 RBIs, Run and a SB tonight. He's batting .318 (.412 OBP) with 1 HR and 10 RBI in 44 ABs this season in Columbus. Might he finally be turning it around?

He's done this before, hasn't he?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #14: May 22, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »
He's done this before, hasn't he?
Not in AAA ball. He stunk last year.  He had a good year in A, High-A, and Double-A.

In '05 in Potomac he was our Minor League hitter of the year and hit .290 with 22 HR and 90 RBIs.
In '06 in Harrisburg he hit .271 with 20 HR and 80 RBIs.
Last year after being demoted to AAA he hit .246 with 11 HRs and 55 RBIs in 411 ABs.

It's only 44 ABs obviously but maybe he's finally learning how to hit at a higher level. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #15: May 22, 2008, 10:41:19 PM »
Not in AAA ball. He stunk last year.  He had a good year in A, High-A, and Double-A.

In '05 in Potomac he was our Minor League hitter of the year and hit .290 with 22 HR and 90 RBIs.
In '06 in Harrisburg he hit .271 with 20 HR and 80 RBIs.
Last year after being demoted to AAA he hit .246 with 11 HRs and 55 RBIs in 411 ABs.

It's only 44 ABs obviously but maybe he's finally learning how to hit at a higher level. 

Well, I'd definitely rather call him up than Langerhans. But hopefully they're both behind Maxwell and Daniel.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: May 23, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Well, I'd definitely rather call him up than Langerhans. But hopefully they're both behind Maxwell and Daniel.

Not me, I want to see if Langerhans has truly discovered the key to his success - taking a walk.  That OBP > .400 would look GREAT in our anemic offense right now.  And we know his fielding is probably just a tad better than Milledge or Pena's.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: May 23, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »
Not me, I want to see if Langerhans has truly discovered the key to his success - taking a walk.  That OBP > .400 would look GREAT in our anemic offense right now.  And we know his fielding is probably just a tad better than Milledge or Pena's.

Langerhans is the best option. The last thing the Nats need to do is bring up Maxwell or Daniel to go with Milledge,Pena & Dukes.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #18: May 23, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »

He's Cust with out the HR's. BB or K. That's not actually as useful. A 2B every now and then is necessary. Yes, I know how the numbers work. But if you have 1 guy walking, and everyone else getting out, you go nowhere. See NJ earlier this year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: May 23, 2008, 09:21:51 AM »
He's Cust with out the HR's. BB or K. That's not actually as useful. A 2B every now and then is necessary. Yes, I know how the numbers work. But if you have 1 guy walking, and everyone else getting out, you go nowhere. See NJ earlier this year.

NJ was doing his job, you can't blame him for not being driven in.  We just aren't going to find a hitter that can hit 50 homers to drive himself in all the time.  We need more OBP, not less, in our lineup.  Of course, we need more of everything, but if Langerhans could maintain his >.400 OBP, it would be a huge upgrade over Kearns.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: May 23, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
NJ was doing his job, you can't blame him for not being driven in.  We just aren't going to find a hitter that can hit 50 homers to drive himself in all the time.  We need more OBP, not less, in our lineup.  Of course, we need more of everything, but if Langerhans could maintain his >.400 OBP, it would be a huge upgrade over Kearns.

Since we employ only PETA members(don't bruise the horsehide) it'll be nice to have another quality glove. Kind of like soccer without all the scoring.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #21: May 23, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
But if you have 1 guy walking, and everyone else getting out, you go nowhere. See NJ earlier this year.

We can have 2 or 3 walks per inning and we still would struggle to score more than 5 runs per game.

Offline blue911

« Reply #22: May 23, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
We can have 2 or 3 walks per inning and we still would struggle to score more than 5 runs per game.

With Guzman,Zimmerman,Pena,Flores, & Young in the line up it'd be more like 2 or 3 walks a week.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #23: May 23, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »

That's what I'm saying. You can't have 1 huge OBP guy and total garbage surrounding him. That's why I don't want Langerhans up. We need some power along with OBP. Nick >>>> Langerhans.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #24: May 23, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »

Langerhans can't handle ML pressure. We have a couple of guys like that.