Author Topic: Chris Marrero  (Read 6437 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Chris Marrero
« Reply #25: May 26, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »

Give me a break. Seriously, comparing Marrero to A-Rod - possibly the best hitter of our generation - is idiotic.
It's really not.  He's making the point that if Marrero really is supposed to be "special" then he shouldn't be struggling so much at A-ball whereas truly special talents can often thrive in the big leagues at the same age.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #26: May 26, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
^^^Example is Miguel Cabrera^^^

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #27: May 26, 2008, 10:44:52 PM »
Sometimes you guys just set the bar way too high...not everybody is going to be Alex Rodgriguez...and you don't have to equal his acheivements in order to be an excellant major league player. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #28: May 26, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
Sometimes you guys just set the bar way to high...not everybody is going to be Alex Rodgriguez...and you don't have to equal his acheivments in order to be an excellant major league player. 

That wasn't my point Sens. ACTAvation got the drift of my post here:

It's really not.  He's making the point that if Marrero really is supposed to be "special" then he shouldn't be struggling so much at A-ball whereas truly special talents can often thrive in the big leagues at the same age.

I also recall that at one point last season it was reported that Marrero had accomplished something in A ball that had not been done since A-Rod and I recall people jumping all over that stat and thinking how special it was to have a guy of this caliber in our system. Why is it so easy to grasp that tidbit but it is frowned upon when it is pointed out that 'special' players like A-Rod are in the majors by the time they are Marrero's age?   

MrMadison

« Reply #29: May 26, 2008, 11:37:51 PM »
Why is it so easy to grasp that tidbit but it is frowned upon when it is pointed out that 'special' players like A-Rod are in the majors by the time they are Marrero's age?   

wily mo pena was in the Majors at 19.

just sayin'.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #30: May 26, 2008, 11:52:52 PM »

just sayin'.
Yep...and see how many problems he's having for being rushed up.  Expectations can sometimes ruin a career.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: May 27, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »

just sayin'.

Actually WMP was a September call up and he was 4 months shy of his 21st B-day. Also he wasn't a full time player when he was brought up (which was my original statement regarding 19 year olds in the majors). WMP was an oddity in that he was inexplicably brought up before he was ready. I can't think of another teenager that was brought up to sit on the bench like WMP. I can't explain why they did that with him and I'm certainly not advocating promoting Marrero. I'm just saying that he can't be called a special player.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: May 27, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
You don't have to call him a special player, but his potential as a ball player is at the level of an all-star, something our system doesn't really have.

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #33: May 28, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
Marrero is finally heating up.  His average has climbed and he hit number 8 last night. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #34: May 28, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Marrero is finally heating up.  His average has climbed and he hit number 8 last night. 
struggling in a month of baseball and some people wanted to chuck him out of an airlock into deep space...

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #35: May 28, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »
You don't have to call him a special player, but his potential as a ball player is at the level of an all-star, something our system doesn't really have.

true dat.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #36: May 28, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »
The reason the bar is set so high for the "top" prospect in our system. Ex. Kory Casto. Is that we have had almost no farm system when we first cam to DC (Fack you Minya) So once we hear who the top prospect is we all expect him to be amazing and an all-star already, when they are really just a kid who are just 18 or 19. Marrero is doing well, we just have way too high of expectations.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #37: June 01, 2008, 03:26:32 AM »
The reason the bar is set so high for the "top" prospect in our system. Ex. Kory Casto. Is that we have had almost no farm system when we first cam to DC (Fack you Minya) So once we hear who the top prospect is we all expect him to be amazing and an all-star already, when they are really just a kid who are just 18 or 19. Marrero is doing well, we just have way too high of expectations.

I have to agree with you here, thats how it was with Kasto, but Marrero gets it a little different now with other great prospects in our system now like Maxwell, Daniel, and Burgess to lose some the attention on him.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #38: June 01, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
I have to agree with you here, thats how it was with Kasto, but Marrero gets it a little different now with other great prospects in our system now like Maxwell, Daniel, and Burgess to lose some the attention on him.
All the same though he knows that his every game is going to be criticized.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: June 01, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
Kory Casto was not an example of expectation problems - he was an example of talent problems.  He was never that good of a prospect, but our system was so barren that he was the #1 by default.  Casto would've been a fringe prospect in almost any other systems, and fringe prospects typically don't pan out.

Marrero is different - he's a legitimate talent and he'd be in the top 3 of just about any system.  I hope expectations don't weigh down on him.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #40: June 01, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
True. I hope Marrero starts hitting like he can and starts next year at AA.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #41: June 06, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »
Not so good news on Marrero in Goldstein's chat:

James282 (NJ): KG, glad to see you don't let these sheep get away with making the super obvious Sex and the City digs. It really isn't a bad show. Thoughts on Christian Marrero's slow start? Still love Brignac?

Kevin Goldstein: That's right, sheep. I'm still high on Brignac, but some scouting reports are coming in on Marrero that are NOT good. I'm gotten some bad reports on the body, and it sounds like he's really flying open on his swing and pressing hard.
http://baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=474

Kids still only 19 and he can only become a stronger player and person if he's able to make it through this slump. Adversity builds character, hope he can come through it.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #42: June 06, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
Uh, maybe adversity builds character, but a good swing builds a successful major league career.  I fail to see a positive in this.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #43: June 06, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »
Uh, maybe adversity builds character, but a good swing builds a successful major league career.  I fail to see a positive in this.

Him struggling with his swing is adversity. So if he's able to fix his stroke he'll be a better player having finally gone through a tough stretch. Dude has never struggled in his career.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #44: June 06, 2008, 03:11:08 PM »
Not so good news on Marrero in Goldstein's chat:
http://baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=474

Kids still only 19 and he can only become a stronger player and person if he's able to make it through this slump. Adversity builds character, hope he can come through it.

He's not talking about our Marrero. There's a Christian Marrero playing for Kannapolis in High-A.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #45: June 06, 2008, 06:45:30 PM »
He's not talking about our Marrero. There's a Christian Marrero playing for Kannapolis in High-A.
I was going to say, "Wha??"

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #46: June 06, 2008, 08:25:20 PM »
yeah yall right my fault...

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #47: June 13, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
Got a ? answered in BBA's chat today about Marrero:

Q:  Marcus from Silver Spring asks:
Chris Marrero is finally turning it around will he make the sheet if he can keep on this pace?

A:  Ben Badler: Yes, Marrero was the last cut. I think people are overreacting a little bit to the raw numbers while forgetting the context. In fact, I will argue that Marrero's performance so far has NOT been awful; I think it projects quite favorably. He's 19 years old in the Carolina League, he's drawing walks and he has a slugging average 200 points higher than his batting average. Those are good numbers. Doing that, in Potomac, and with his tools at the plate (but even independent of them) projects very, very well.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #48: June 13, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »
Got a ? answered in BBA's chat today about Marrero:

Q:  Marcus from Silver Spring asks:
Chris Marrero is finally turning it around will he make the sheet if he can keep on this pace?

A:  Ben Badler: Yes, Marrero was the last cut. I think people are overreacting a little bit to the raw numbers while forgetting the context. In fact, I will argue that Marrero's performance so far has NOT been awful; I think it projects quite favorably. He's 19 years old in the Carolina League, he's drawing walks and he has a slugging average 200 points higher than his batting average. Those are good numbers. Doing that, in Potomac, and with his tools at the plate (but even independent of them) projects very, very well.

Thanks for posting, I sometimes scroll through the chat logs at BBA and rarely see anything about our minor leaguers, good to see something finally popped up.