Author Topic: So about our Minor League First Basemen....  (Read 2979 times)

MrMadison

So about our Minor League First Basemen....
« Topic Start: May 15, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »
since Nick Johnson is out 4-6 weeks we may need to consider bringing one of the 1B prospects up, at least as backup insurance for Dmitri "Signed a 5m deal, promised to get in shape, then laid on the couch all winter" Young.

do we have any that are close to being ready for ML duty?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
since Nick Johnson is out 4-6 weeks we may need to consider bringing one of the 1B prospects up, at least as backup insurance for Dmitri "Signed a 5m deal, promised to get in shape, then laid on the couch all winter" Young.

do we have any that are close to being ready for ML duty?

Lefave would be the closest in AA, and that seems to be the place for real prospects now adays so if the numbers or there he might be close enough to risk it, but I am not sure how the numbers are and not sure I care enough to look.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Good job getting rid of Josh Whitesell, FO.  We could've given him a try. (he's sporting an OPS over .900 so far at AAA) Instead, we have Larry Broadway at our AAA affiliate - so exciting! :roll:

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
Best one in the system right now is two years off probably.  Bill Rhinehart was a 2007 11th rounder and tore up Vermont last year.  he is doing the same thing in Hagerstown and leads the South Atlantic in several categories.  He is hitting over .340, has 7 homers.  Doesn't obviously help now, but keep your eye on Rhinehart  because I think he is going to catapault up the prospect list. 

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
Best one in the system right now is two years off probably.  Bill Rhinehart was a 2007 11th rounder and tore up Vermont last year.  he is doing the same thing in Hagerstown and leads the South Atlantic in several categories.  He is hitting over .340, has 7 homers.  Doesn't obviously help now, but keep your eye on Rhinehart  because I think he is going to catapault up the prospect list. 

I agree with you here... Bill is also leading the league in RBI's, althought his stats aren't as high as you mention.  I think the FO sees Chris Marrero as the 1B of the future, and I heard they may try Bill in the OF in Potomac or Harrisburg in order to keep his bat swining for the Nats.  Whitesall was a loss, but with talent throughout the organization at 1B, it's not a huge loss as long as one of these guys wins the spot and produces.  I hear Boone will be the 1B de facto, however, while Johnson gets everything looked at.
Broadway - at 27, let him go or trade for a pitcher. 
Lefave - serviceable - possilbe Nats backup.  .244 AVG / .353 SLG needs more production and more time in the minors
Marrero - at 19 he shows promise, but a lot of playing time between now and the show.  Good power, but more consistency.  5HR's / .220 AVG / .386 SLG - his fast start has been slowed down
Rhinehart - 23 years old.  Nothing has slowed this guy down yet.  .326 AVG / 6 HR's / 39 RBI's / .553 SLG   

Offline ronnynat

Luis Jimenez anyone?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Good job getting rid of Josh Whitesell, FO.  We could've given him a try. (he's sporting an OPS over .900 so far at AAA) Instead, we have Larry Broadway at our AAA affiliate - so exciting! :roll:

Good point, except we already got No-bat-way off the 40 man, so somebody had to go . . .

Offline Skinz72

Luis Jimenez anyone?

Totally.  I knew I was leaving someone out - the Senator's web site doesn't list by postion - I glanced right over him.  He's good.  But I sort of think he's hit his ceiling.  I still think they are eyeing Marrero the most and maybe that Bill has stepped up, him too.  I'm not certain how Jimenez fits into their plans, but he does show positive stats - but he may the mnost major league ready of all the "prospects" as I don't really consider Broadway a real propsect.
Current Stats:
.290 AVG / 6 HR's / 19 RBI's / .516 SLG 

Offline ronnynat

Totally.  I knew I was leaving someone out - the Senator's web site doesn't list by postion - I glanced right over him.  He's good.  But I sort of think he's hit his ceiling.  I still think they are eyeing Marrero the most and maybe that Bill has stepped up, him too.  I'm not certain how Jimenez fits into their plans, but he does show positive stats.
Current Stats:
.290 AVG / 6 HR's / 19 RBI's / .516 SLG 

He makes contact and he has good power. A combination we could definitely use around here.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
The Whitesell loss was retarded...his upside was so much better than Broadway...and we'll be paying for it in the future just like we are paying for Ryan Church now. 

Offline sportsfan882

The Whitesell loss was retarded...his upside is so much better than Broadway...and we'll be paying for it in the future just like we are paying for Ryan Church now. 
Trade? We got nothing for Whitesell unfortunately. The D'Backs just claimed him off waivers.  :evil:

Offline PANatsFan

The Whitesell loss was retarded...his upside was so much better than Broadway...and we'll be paying for it in the future just like we are paying for Ryan Church now. 

Again, it was about a spot on the 40 man. We should have waived Bernadina instead.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Jimenz will get the call...He is tearing it up...Broadway may get a last shot at being a back-up.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Again, it was about a spot on the 40 man. We should have waived Bernadina instead.
They couldn't have waived Broadway?

Offline PANatsFan

They couldn't have waived Broadway?

They already did earlier in the offseason. No takers.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
They already did earlier in the offseason. No takers.
Doesn't he have some up-side as a Minor Leaguer?

Offline Skinz72

I think the Nats feel Jimenez and Whitesall were near in talent to eachother... obviously favoring Jimenez for some reason.

Offline Skinz72

Looks like it'll be Young and Boone sharing the load.

From Washington Nationals.com
"On Friday, the club is expected to activate first baseman Dmitri Young from the 15-day disabled list. He will become the everyday first baseman in Johnson's absence, while Aaron Boone will be the backup."

Offline ronnynat

I think the Nats feel Jimenez and Whitesall were near in talent to eachother... obviously favoring Jimenez for some reason.

Both have been extremely consistent over the last 4 years, but Jimenez did play at a higher minor league level for two of those years. I'd probably take Jimenez over Whitesell, too, but they are really similar to each other, stat-wise.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Oh lord, you're not on the Church bandwagon too are you?  He will have no impact that truly matters in the time that it will take for the Mets to sort out their problems, nor would he have any impact that truly mattered with us in the time it's going to take us to sort out ours.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Oh lord, you're not on the Church bandwagon too are you?  He will have no impact that truly matters in the time that it will take for the Mets to sort out their problems, nor would he have any impact that truly mattered with us in the time it's going to take us to sort out ours.

Imagine though if by magic wand we could have had Church in RF this year instead of Kearns.  YTD, Church is the 3rd most productive RF, Kearns dead last at 43rd.  We'd be right around .500 or so and talking about possible wild card run.

Offline PANatsFan

Imagine though if by magic wand we could have had Church in RF this year instead of Kearns.  YTD, Church is the 3rd most productive RF, Kearns dead last at 43rd.  We'd be right around .500 or so and talking about possible wild card run.
Hopefully I detect humor in this statement . . .

Offline Skinz72

I say keep Kearnsy in until all star break.  If no results, send him down to Columbus and bring up either Langerhans or Mike Daniel from Harrisburg.  

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Hopefully I detect humor in this statement . . .

Nothing funny about it.  Kearns looks like Guzman a la 2005 this season.  Church should be an all-star.

Offline PANatsFan

I say keep Kearnsy in until all star break.  If no results, send him down to Columbus and bring up either Langerhans or Mike Daniel from Harrisburg. 

No options for Kearns. 3 options burned, and he's a 6th year player - signed through his 7th (1st free agent year)