Author Topic: ESPN: Nats, Guillen discussing contract extension  (Read 590 times)

JammingEcono

ESPN: Nats, Guillen discussing contract extension
« Topic Start: February 18, 2006, 12:55:35 AM »
Guillen still rehabbing left shoulder
By Enrique Rojas
ESPNdeportes.com

Jose Guillen and the Washington Nationals have had preliminary conversations about a contract extension, which would keep the outfielder on the team next season.

Guillen, 29, batted .283 with 24 home runs and 76 RBIs in 148 games with the Nationals in 2005.

Washington exercised the option in the contract that Guillen signed with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim before the 2004 season to extend it through 2006. The Dominican will earn $4 million and then have the chance to become a free agent for second time in his career.

From the Nationals' training camp in Melbourne, Fla., Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com that he'd like to resolve any contractual issues during training in order to avoid distractions once the season has begun.

Link to full story.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
ESPN: Nats, Guillen discussing contract extension
« Reply #1: February 18, 2006, 09:50:34 AM »
Sign him up.  He seems happy here, and he's a hell of an outfielder.  He's also cheaper than comparable players.  

If I were GM, I'd also be seriously considering offering Nick a two year deal, too.  Yeah, I know his durability issues, but I believe he's an all-star caliber 1st baseman if healthy.  We have to take chances on players like Guillen and Johnson, who are good enough to take us to the promised land, but cheap enough to afford.