Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 415055 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #2750: April 27, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
I spent the night in Sheffield on my way from Hadrian's Wall to Stratford-upon-Avon.    Stopped in Conventry as well.    I must have gone near Leicester.   Probably missed it though   ...  As I passed Nottingham, I hoped to catch a glimpse of Friar Tuck.

Offline awbb

« Reply #2751: April 27, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
Leicester is the Baltimore to DC's Coventry. The M69 is like the I95 between them.

Leicester is probably most famous for being the home of the current English Premier League champions (about 2 more weeks). Which, when it happened was  about as likely as The Nat's winning a playoff series.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2752: April 27, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
Leicester is the Baltimore to DC's Coventry. The M69 is like the I95 between them.

Leicester is probably most famous for being the home of the current English Premier League champions (about 2 more weeks). Which, when it happened was  about as likely as The Nat's winning a playoff series.

Oh yeah, I follow the Premier League on weekends.    I wasn't even aware of Leicester during my travels.    I'd like to see it now because of Richard III.

PS   We have a soccer thread.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2753: April 27, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »

You were meant to be here with us.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2754: April 27, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
You were meant to be here with us.

That's what I'm talkin' about  ....   fate.     :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2755: April 27, 2017, 10:36:07 PM »

PS   We have a soccer thread.
hey, translate for the bloke. A Football thread that not the pointy thing we americans mistake for football.

Actually, the limeys used to call it soccer too for a long time. Association football (asoccer, or soccer), in contrast to rugger. 

Offline awbb

« Reply #2756: April 28, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
hey, translate for the bloke. A Football thread that not the pointy thing we americans mistake for football.

Actually, the limeys used to call it soccer too for a long time. Association football (asoccer, or soccer), in contrast to rugger.

You are very correct, a lot of my countrymen, particularly from a working class background, can get exorcised when someone calls it Soccer.

I got into Nuffle in the 80s though. With no reason, Elway and the perennially losing Super Bowl Denver Broncos were my choice. Hopefully just the thought of Super Bowl XXII will cheer some of you up! I lost interest after they won in the late 90s so wasn't really bothered about Peyton Manning's win.

Long and short, I'm fine and should be able to tell between the two sports  without going mad!

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #2757: April 28, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »
Dear AWBB,

Please send me some jaffa cakes and a double decker bar.

thanks!

--dcpatti

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2758: April 28, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
You are very correct, a lot of my countrymen, particularly from a working class background, can get exorcised when someone calls it Soccer.

I got into Nuffle in the 80s though. With no reason, Elway and the perennially losing Super Bowl Denver Broncos were my choice. Hopefully just the thought of Super Bowl XXII will cheer some of you up! I lost interest after they won in the late 90s so wasn't really bothered about Peyton Manning's win.

Long and short, I'm fine and should be able to tell between the two sports  without going mad!

Well, I'm from a working class (steel mill) area in Western PA.    I don't get exorcised much any more.    Figure I'm too old for that crap.         I suppose folks should spend more time working and less time getting exorcised.     Forget the "soccer" thread.

Offline awbb

« Reply #2759: April 28, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
Well, I'm from a working class (steel mill) area in Western PA.    I don't get exorcised much any more.    Figure I'm too old for that crap.         I suppose folks should spend more time working and less time getting exorcised.     Forget the "soccer" thread.

Totally agree. Getting wound up about the name of a sport. Bonkers when you think about it. Though, Bill Shankley, who was really the Vince Lombardi of Soccer managers was famously quoted as saying:

"Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that."

Some people took him seriously.

You piqued my interest, I shall try the soccer thread to promote the abject teams I support! Down the rabbit hole of the football league pyramid!

Offline Exponational

Hi all

I am based in the UK and I've been following the Nationals for a few seasons now. Thanks to the 'at bat' app and BT Sport, I've been able to follow them a lot more closely the last couple of years, even if that means staying up til ridiculous times in the early morning. I thought I should sign up to the forum to get some of the news/views that the rather sterile official MLB sources don't really cover. I didn't expect to find so much mention of Stratford, Leicester etc - I live in Coventry, having moved from my native Scotland about 25 years ago. Football (soccer) is my first love, but I have always been enthralled by baseball. I started following the Expos because my grandmother was originally from Montreal. On a trip to Canada, I had the very great pleasure of seeing Vladimir Guerrero play for the Expos in about 2000/2001. That's the only live game that I have seen (so far). Currently trying to engineer work trips to the US that coincide with the season...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Hi all

I am based in the UK and I've been following the Nationals for a few seasons now. Thanks to the 'at bat' app and BT Sport, I've been able to follow them a lot more closely the last couple of years, even if that means staying up til ridiculous times in the early morning. I thought I should sign up to the forum to get some of the news/views that the rather sterile official MLB sources don't really cover. I didn't expect to find so much mention of Stratford, Leicester etc - I live in Coventry, having moved from my native Scotland about 25 years ago. Football (soccer) is my first love, but I have always been enthralled by baseball. I started following the Expos because my grandmother was originally from Montreal. On a trip to Canada, I had the very great pleasure of seeing Vladimir Guerrero play for the Expos in about 2000/2001. That's the only live game that I have seen (so far). Currently trying to engineer work trips to the US that coincide with the season...

Welcome EN.  Since we don't have a Scottish flag I'll use the next closest thing.

:uk:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
welcome!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So our Brit list is Manly (who has been MIA this year?), awbb, and Exponational.  I think you pull ahead of our Aussie crew.  Nothing will top our Canadians, led by Exposfan87.

Offline mitlen

Hi all

Welcome

Offline nats2playoffs

Welcome EN.  Since we don't have a Scottish flag I'll use the next closest thing.

:uk:
Scottish flag:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Welcome! Check out the AtBat condensed game feature. Videos are available the day after the game. It's helpful if you miss a game, or don't want to be up at ridiculous hours.

Hi all

Offline mitlen

Welcome! Check out the AtBat condensed game feature. Videos are available the day after the game. It's helpful if you miss a game, or don't want to be up at ridiculous hours.

Where is this place?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Where is this place?

on your phone.

:hysterical:

Offline mitlen

on your phone.

:hysterical:

Not my phone brother.     :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Not my phone brother.     :)

:old:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Welcome newcomers :clap:

Offline HTTRNATSWIZCAPS

« Reply #2772: June 01, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
Hey just wanted to introduce myself. Born and raised here to be a loyal DC sports fan. Just came here to talk with like minded sports fans.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2773: June 01, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Hey just wanted to introduce myself. Born and raised here to be a loyal DC sports fan. Just came here to talk with like minded sports fans.
Welcome. Good handle. Except for the HTTR. Jk. Sort of.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2774: June 01, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Welcome. Good handle. Except for the HTTR. Jk. Sort of.

I don't get the HTTR part, can someone explain?    :shrug: