Wow...a lot of activity, and all about lil 'ol me? Guys, don't you know the problem is that New Yorkers ALREADY think they're the center of the universe?
Anywho, I am that weird friend that Minty Fresh referred to. Allow me to now get a few things out of the way:
1. Yes, we choked last year in what shall stand for some time as the greatest choke job in history. (Though, y'know, you guys could have beat Philly for us...I mean, what did they ever do for you? It was like you said, "Hey, Philadelphia's in town...Lopez...can you pitch?" "Twice as good as I hit and field, coach!" "Two times zero is still zero, Felipe, but hey, you can't cause any more damage on the mound than you do in the field!")
2. I already own the copyright on "Meet the Mets, meet the Mets, step right up and beat the Mets...", so if you use that one, I'll expect my royalty check.
3. I've no particular hatred for the Nats, Expos, the District of Columbia, or anyone therein. I'm what you call a NORMAL Mets fan.
4. Minty has had the notion that I would adopt the Nats for some time. It hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't hold my breath. I cheer for the Nats when they A.) aren't playing the Mets and B.) are behind the Mets in the standings. (And even then, I kind of cheer for them, because SOMEONE should be happy with their team...)
5. Proof that there are no baseball gods can be found in this phrase: "Barry Bonds is baseball's new home run king."
6. Yes, we're like the Yankees and the Red Sox, except we're not as good at buying championships as they are. Yes, we're like the Cubs, except I don't demand fans of other teams to root for mine just because we haven't won a championship since the Reagan administration. Yes, the Braves had our number for the entirety of the 90's, and for that matter, I still get the shakes when we have a series against them, and consider taking one game out of four from them "a moral victory."
That's basically it. Have at it, boys, but do remember to tell me something I don't already know, eh?