Author Topic: Hey Chief, any thoughts of extending Nats Forum...  (Read 14054 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
...to a full on Fansite?  or will it just remain a message board, and that's it?

just a curious question there.

I'm sure there are community Members here who'd be more than willing to assist with Fan Content.  I know I would.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Hey Chief, any thoughts of extending Nats Forum...
« Reply #1: January 24, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »
Well, I really only intended for it to be a message board originally...  you know, keep it simple.  But if there is interest in extending the site and there are people willing to help out (I'm pretty pinched for time as it is) then I don't see any reason why we couldn't add more content.

What/who did you have in mind?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2: January 24, 2006, 08:32:29 PM »
well...you know, a basic frontpage, with some basic team info/links, and such.

I can't say I know much about web design though.

perhaps we could get the Nats Bloggers involved in providing some content for any non-forum portion of the site.

I'm just thinking out loud though, so don't just start trying to do anything because I asked.

it doesn't *need* to be anything more than a message board(good enough for me!), but my overactive imagination keeps coming up with delusions of grandeur, when it comes to Nats websites.

TextileWolf

« Reply #3: February 27, 2006, 04:26:13 PM »
I agree adding some content to the site could be a great idea, but I love the simplicity of the site.  If I were to add content, I would still have the forum as the front page and link to content from a navigation bar across the top.  The forum is the main reason for traffic, IMHO and I wouldn't make any more clicks that you have to, to get to it.

An example of another website that I like is the layout of http://www.xmfan.com/.  This allows for other material, yet quick access to the forum.

Offline Agoia

good forum > mediocre multi-content site

a front page would probably just link back to stuf on the forums anywys, maybe ther could just be a new section that would be a dumping grounds for mlb articles, natty news, and commentary on that stuff

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Maybe call that section "Nats So Loud" or 'Nats Whispers" for pasted articles about the Nats from different sources. But man, can you imagine the bandwidth that could potentially gobble up?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Maybe call that section "Nats So Loud" or 'Nats Whispers" for pasted articles about the Nats from different sources. But man, can you imagine the bandwidth that could potentially gobble up?

I'm not even so much concerned with bandwidth (though that is a concern) as I am with whose responsibility it would be to keep up with all the news.  Not to mention, in most other forums I've seen that have dedicated news sections, they usually end up just being a bunch of posts by the same two or three people and rarely ever get any replies or discussion.  I think it's better to have news posted in the general or trade sections by whoever feels like posting it.  It seems to generate more discussion that way.

I have to agree with Agoia, I think trying to provide the best forum possible is better than spreading out my already thin free time in an attempt to provide extra content that most people will get elsewhere anyway.  I'm still working on allowing picture attachments, and that's a very minor job compared to the kind of work that a new site layout or front page would require.  Even if I were to start on such a project, it would probably take weeks or more likely months before I'd be able to finish even a preliminary draft.

All of that having been said, I am willing to work with the forum members to try to give them what they want.  All I need in return is patience (or assistance where possible) and plenty of input.  An official partnership with another site is another possibility (such as a site that is primarily content-oriented, but lacks a solid forum) but so far nothing serious is in the works.

Offline Agoia

Quote from: "The Chief"
in most other forums I've seen that have dedicated news sections, they usually end up just being a bunch of posts by the same two or three people and rarely ever get any replies or discussion.  

vVv.Fluffy.vVv