Author Topic: Who Should Be The Nationals New TV Announcers?  (Read 508 times)

Wordman

Who Should Be The Nationals New TV Announcers?
« Topic Start: January 23, 2006, 08:14:11 AM »
It looks like MASN will have a brand new broadcast team in place for the Nationals for 2006 and beyond. So who should be on the broadcast team?

Here are some names that are being considered and some that should be:

1. Kenny Albert : FOX Sports - He did some Nats games last season and also was the #3 national baseball guy for FOX. He has a DC past as the former voice of the Caps and also sports director of WTOP. Many have seen him do the NFL on FOX as well as heard him as part of the CBS radio Monday Football Team where he does sideline reporting.

2. Dave Simms : He is most known for his work on ESPN where his does both football and basketball. A solid PBP mand and does a great radio football call and often works with Doc Walker on CBS Radio NFL games and CBS March Maddness coverage.

3. Ted Robinson: He was the voice of the Mets and many other MLB teams. Solid announcer and many know him from his work on the the major tennis events for NBC and USA.

4. Mike Patrick: Known for his ESPN Sunday Night Football he now could do baseball. He has been the main man on ESPN's College World Series Coverage and is a solid baseball voice plus he is local to the DC market.

5. Greg Gumbel: Yes, that Greg Gumbel from CBS Sports. He grew up in DC before the family moved to Chicago. He has done plenty of MLB PBP both on a national level as well as doing the Yankees in the 80's and 90's.

6. Mel Proctor: Popular last seaon but is not likely to return. But should there be a vote from the fans that asks for Mel to return? Should he be allowed to come back?

Color men:

1. Rob Dibble: Was the first choice many confirm from last season but took the Best Damn Sports Show host gig. He is funny on TV but also does good job of breaking down the game. Was a topo guy at ESPN before he moved over to FOX.

2. Buck Martinez: He has been on the MASN O's games but did many Nats games on ESPN last season. He seems to be smooth and very good as a color man. Voice is a bit high but he seems to always bring his A game.

3. Lou Pinella: The former major league manager is up do doing some broadcasting. He was part of FOX post season coverage last year and with his connection to Jim Bowden could be a choice.

One last thing and that has to do with Charlie Slowes, if one of the a list men get the PBP role with the team Charlie will move over from radio from time to time to do TV. Should that Nats have Phil Wood or Frank Herzog in the bull pen for radio back up to work with the new guy Dave Jageler?

Thanks in advance for giving your feedback!!

Offline Dave B

Who Should Be The Nationals New TV Announcers?
« Reply #1: January 24, 2006, 08:07:24 AM »
what about gary thorne? he used to do the mets every now and then.  i'm not sure if he still does.  but he's not doing espn hockey.  i love that guy. he is the best hockey announcer, and hockey is a tough sport to do, at least radio-wise which he doesnt do, but tv i assume would be tough to.  i also feel validated in my opinion of this because my friend who went to syracuse for broadcast journalism (like almost every major sportscaster), did minor league play by play, and doesnt really follow hockey says "if gary thorne was doing a game, it always felt like a big deal, and i'd watch"

side note, anybody else noticed that you can just make up verbs by adding "ed" to nouns and it becomes a perfectly acceptable hockey term.  the one i can easily recall is mike emricks use of "knifed down". i've been noticing it alot lately with joe benninati (my first year watching the caps). i cant recall my islanders days.