Author Topic: MLB-Watching  (Read 52255 times)

MrMadison

Re: Following All Non-NL East Teams
« Reply #75: April 24, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »
19 runs...Jesus. That's close to a month's worth of runs for the Nats.

fixed.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #76: April 24, 2008, 10:49:12 PM »
The Rays are now 11-11.  The latest in the season that they've been over .500 was May 11th, after game #43, in 1999.  We could witness history this season, at some point.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #77: April 25, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
Cliff Lee is whooping so far this season.

22.2 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 20 K, 0.40 ERA, and he's 3-0 after tonight's win. :shock:

That's domination.

I've gotta update this again after Lee's shutout tonight.

31.2 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 29 K, 0.28 ERA, 4-0 record.

This dude was once in our system, too. :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #78: April 26, 2008, 10:51:17 PM »
Matt Kemp had 5 RBI in the first inning of the Dodgers-Rockies game tonight. It's 10-2 after one.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #79: April 28, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
The Rays swept Boston last night. :shock:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #80: April 28, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »
The Rays swept Boston tonight. :shock:
Tampa definitely has some talent.  They have a real shot at finishing top 2 in the division. They are certainly better than the O's and Jays. The Yankees have no pitching and Boston's age is starting to catch up with them.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #81: April 28, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »
Tampa definitely has some talent.  They have a real shot at finishing top 2 in the division. They are certainly better than the O's and Jays. The Yankees have no pitching and Boston's age is starting to catch up with them.

Yeah, I switched it to "last night." That's a pretty damn good division this season. Baltimore has come back in a lot of games and they're winning the close ones. That's pretty huge. The Rays beat Beckett even though he was pretty dominant last night. The Jays aren't terrible either. It should be interesting.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #82: April 28, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
Yeah, I switched it to "last night." That's a pretty damn good division this season. Baltimore has come back in a lot of games and they're winning the close ones. That's pretty huge. The Rays beat Beckett even though he was pretty dominant last night. The Jays aren't terrible either. It should be interesting.
Don't be fooled by Baltimore's semi-hot start.  They have played a lot of crappy teams.  Do you really think they are going to get by with Aubrey Huff, Jay Payton, Kevin Millar and a slew of other over-the-hill veterans?  Cabrera will regress to his old ways. Guthrie is no Ace, instead he's a #3-4 at best.  Burres is trash, he'll fall back down to earth.  Trachsel is one of the worst starters in the Majors.  Their bullpen although with new names is still just as bad as past years'.  Don't worry spidernat, I'm confident that we will finish with a better record than those losers.  :D

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #83: April 29, 2008, 09:10:29 AM »
Don't be fooled by Baltimore's semi-hot start.  They have played a lot of ****** teams.  Do you really think they are going to get by with Aubrey Huff, Jay Payton, Kevin Millar and a slew of other over-the-hill veterans?  Cabrera will regress to his old ways. Guthrie is no Ace, instead he's a #3-4 at best.  Burres is trash, he'll fall back down to earth.  Trachsel is one of the worst starters in the Majors.  Their bullpen although with new names is still just as bad as past years'.  Don't worry spidernat, I'm confident that we will finish with a better record than those losers.  :D

I wouldn't be fooled by blind hatred for the O's either.  While I think they will eventually come back to earth, this is not a bad team.  The only "crap" teams they really have played are the Rays (which are looking like not such a bad team either) and the Rangers.  Unless, of course, you believe the White Sox, Yankees, Mariners, and Blue Jays are all "crap" teams.  And its not your list of over the hill veterans that are carrying the team offensively, but the young players -- Markakis, Scott, Jones, and Quiroz.  Add to that Melvin Mora and Roberts, and the full line up isn't half bad. 

Its the pitching that will bring the O's back to earth, but so far, its been able to keep them in games. While the stats are not impressive, having watched them now in 6 games vs. the White Sox, guys like Cabrerra, Guthrie, and Burres have good stuff, and seem to be able to get the big out when they need it.  The frustrating thing for me in the 2 losses and the suspended game the White Sox had vs the Orioles, is we had so many opportunities to break those games open, and then we couldn't seal the deal.  It was usually the craftiness of whoever was on the mound, or a pitching change that did the Sox in.  The bullpen isn't half bad -- better than most. 

I'm not sure the O's are the real deal, but they have taken the sow's ear and started to fashion a silk purse.  They have made the most of the Bedard/Tejada trades, and are positioning themselves to be a truly contending team again.  I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Offline blue911

« Reply #84: April 29, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
Barry Zito just got demoted to the bullpen. For only $126M the Giants have a guy that is pitching worse than Matt Chico. Hooray for free agency!

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #85: April 29, 2008, 09:52:12 AM »
Barry Zito just got demoted to the bullpen. For only $126M the Giants have a guy that is pitching worse than Matt Chico. Hooray for free agency!

My White Sox get a lot of criticism locally because owner Jerry Reinsdorf is philosophically opposed to giving pitchers more then a three year deal, 4 in rare occasions.  The continued lack of success for big money free agent pitchers like Zito make that look like a fiscally sound policy.

Offline blue911

« Reply #86: April 29, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »
My White Sox get a lot of criticism locally because owner Jerry Reinsdorf is philosophically opposed to giving pitchers more then a three year deal, 4 in rare occasions.  The continued lack of success for big money free agent pitchers like Zito make that look like a fiscally sound policy.

It's mind numbingly stupid not to follow that policy. It also helps if you have Mark Buehrle.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #87: April 29, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »
Zito was a hell of a lot better on the other side of the Bay.   

Offline blue911

« Reply #88: April 29, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
Zito was a hell of a lot better on the other side of the Bay.  

So was Mark Mulder. Billy Beane took a lot of heat for not resigning these guys. When you look at the history of free agent pitchers, not signing them seems the best option.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #89: April 29, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
So was Mark Mulder. Billy Beane took a lot of heat for not resigning these guys. When you look at the history of free agent pitchers, not signing them seems the best option.

Beane not only didn't resign him, but traded Mulder when he was at peak value.  He did that with Hudson too. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #90: April 29, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »
Halladay pitched his fourth straight complete game, but he’s lost the last three after a  1-0 loss to Boston tonight. I kind of feel bad for the guy.

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #91: April 30, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
Chicago update -- bad night for windy city baseball.  White Sox lose because they don't have enough offense, Cubs lose because Brewers have too much, both lose to division rivals.  Not good.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #92: April 30, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »
Halladay pitched his fourth straight complete game, but he’s lost the last three after a  1-0 loss to Boston tonight. I kind of feel bad for the guy.
Hell, we'd even score a run in support of him.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #93: April 30, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »
YES!  Rays take a 3-1 lead over the Orioles with a 2-run jack from Eric Hinske in the direction of Eutaw Street!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #94: April 30, 2008, 11:33:55 PM »
damn. Cubs drop 19 runs on the Brew Crew.  They only scored 10 runs in the entire 3 game series against us last weekend. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #95: May 01, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »
damn. Cubs drop 19 runs on the Brew Crew.  They only scored 10 runs in the entire 3 game series against us last weekend. 

And Soto had two homers. :lol:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #96: May 01, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »
What's with the Cubs winning 19-5?!   :shock:

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #97: May 01, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »
What's with the Cubs winning 19-5?!   :shock:

Even blind squirrels occasionally find a nut -- connected to a case of irish whiskey, allowing them to go on a drunken binge.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #98: May 01, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
Here's another reason I like Soto: Prince Fielder just tried to run him over at the plate and Soto not only held onto the ball, he stayed on his feet and Fielder went flying. Very cool play.

« Reply #99: May 01, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
Yankees pitcher Phil Hughes out until at least July with a fractured rib.

Rockies Troy Tulowitzki messed up his quadricep and will be out until the All-Star Break.

Prospects getting worn down early.