Author Topic: MLB-Watching  (Read 52351 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Following All Non-NL East Teams
« Reply #175: May 14, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
Makes you appreciate Bob "how far is it going!?" Carpenter :?

Actually, I really do appreciate that homer.  Sure, he has some really head-spinning blunders, but at least he and Sutton are a very engaging combo in the booth.  I've noticed, from watching other teams' telecasts with MLB.tv, that so many teams have painfully boring announcing crews.  Just off the top of my head, the Phillies, Brewers, and Mariners have announcing teams that rival Nyquil.  Then there are some even more embarrassing homers - ones that make Bobby Carp look like Karl Ravech.  The color guy for the Angels - his name escapes me at the moment - is embarrassing.  He has to be drunk during every telecast.

« Reply #176: May 14, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
I look over at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (They will always be the Devil Rays to me, so sue me, or fine me $1 like their organization does) and hope to God the Nats will be like that in two or three years.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #177: May 14, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »
Here's a couple of surprises as I look at the standings (and this won't be a popular observation here):

I heard all of the "experts" talking about teams who were going to have "historically bad seasons" this year and the two most common names I heard were the Orioles and the Giants.  Each team currently stands third in their respective divisions (although the Giants are only there because San Diego and Colorado turned out to be frauds) and the Orioles are above .500 in a tough division with a drastically improved Rays team.

I am actually quite surprised by the Astros as well.  This is a team who many thought overspent for Tejada who would only marginally improve the team.  Turns out to have been a pretty decent trade for now and the 'stros are only 1 1/2 behind the Cubs in the NL Central.  Plus, I have a soft-spot for the Astros since the local minor-league team is an Astros affiliate.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #178: May 14, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
Unbelievable. The O's had the bases loaded and 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th trailing the Sox 4-3 and then they bring in Okajima who promptly gives up a line-drive grand slam to Jay Payton. crazy. O's now lead 6-3.

The Red Sox are mediocre. This would be their 4th loss in a row.

MrMadison

« Reply #179: May 14, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
Texas and Seattle are in the bottom of the 11th, rangers threatening with 2 outs.

MrMadison

« Reply #180: May 14, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
Texas and Seattle are in the bottom of the 11th, rangers threatening with 2 outs.

top of the 12th now.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #181: May 14, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
I look over at the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (They will always be the Devil Rays to me, so sue me, or fine me $1 like their organization does) and hope to God the Nats will be like that in two or three years.
Amazing thing is that they have about three pitchers in their minor league system who will could join their ML team soon and make them even more dangerous.

I think with a win today, this would be by far the highest over .500 the Rays have been in franchise history.  Good on them, I say.  It's about time someone give the Red Sox or Yanks a run for their money.

« Reply #182: May 14, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »
Amazing thing is that they have about three pitchers in their minor league system who will could join their ML team soon and make them even more dangerous.

I think with a win today, this would be by far the highest over .500 the Rays have been in franchise history.  Good on them, I say.  It's about time someone give the Red Sox or Yanks a run for their money.

Yanks pulled out the win tonight, but yeah, it's good to see the Rays doing well. I have a couple of Yank fans as friends and right now they are literally crapting all over themselves in disbelief and despair.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #183: May 14, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »

Yanks pulled out the win tonight, but yeah, it's good to see the Rays doing well. I have a couple of Yank fans right now and they are literally crapting all over themselves in disbelief and despair.

You did it! :lol:

I agree, it's great to see the Rays coming together and actually competing in that division. They have a lot to work w/ going into the future.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #184: May 14, 2008, 11:41:59 PM »
Berkman hit his 14th homer tonight and now has 40 RBI (the game is in the 5th inning right now). He's on pace for about 160 RBI. We'll have someone like that someday. :pray:

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #185: May 15, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
Did anyone see ManRam's play earlier at Oriole Park?  If I were his manager, I'd really get on his case for that.

But you know, "Manny being Manny." :roll:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #186: May 15, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
I didn't see it but I heard all he did was high five some fans the same way Milledge did last season and got unfairly ripped for it.

Edit: I just saw the play and I see nothing wrong with it. He made the catch and threw on time to complete the double play. As long as it produced the desired result I don't see the issue.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #187: May 15, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
Possibly the best pitching matchup of the year so far going on tonight between Cook (6-1, 2.26 ERA) and Webb (8-0, 2.41 ERA). If you have the time and a way to watch it, you definitely should.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #188: May 15, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
I didn't see it but I heard all he did was high five some fans the same way Milledge did last season and got unfairly ripped for it.

Edit: I just saw the play and I see nothing wrong with it. He made the catch and threw on time to complete the double play. As long as it produced the desired result I don't see the issue.
I don't know that he was aware of the fact that he actually had time to do that and record the out.  If he was completely certain that he had ample time to make the out, I'm perfectly alright with it, but he would've looked like a huge ass if that would've cost them an out.

MrMadison

« Reply #189: May 15, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
Did anyone see ManRam's play earlier at Oriole Park?  If I were his manager, I'd really get on his case for that.

But you know, "Manny being Manny." :roll:

yeah I saw that.  but when Milledge high-fived some fans, he was ripped and called a "punk" for it.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #190: May 15, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
I don't think doing so cost him any time on the play. His momentum carried him to the fence as it was so all he did was stick his hand out while turning at the fence.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #191: May 15, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
Berkman just hit HR #15 to give the 'Stros an 8-7 lead in the 9th against the Giants.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #192: May 15, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
Berkman just hit HR #15 to give the 'Stros an 8-7 lead in the 9th against the Giants.

Only an injury will slow him down at this point.

Offline blue911

« Reply #193: May 15, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »

I wonder if there's an AirBerkman on the Astros site?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #194: May 15, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »
I wonder if there's an AirBerkman on the Astros site?

:rofl:  she's probably there somewhere.

« Reply #195: May 15, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
Yanks are dead last in the AL East. Devil Rays are shaking things up in the division. :shock:

God, I hope to God the Nats turn into that.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #196: May 15, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
Yanks are dead last in the AL East. Devil Rays are shaking things up in the division. :shock:

We need a guy like Pena in the #3 spot. How great would that be?

Offline blue911

« Reply #197: May 15, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »

You would die if you had to put up with 10 years of crap just to play.500 ball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #198: May 15, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
I agree. I hope we become competitive a lot sooner than it took the Rays to.  It's not like the Rays are going to the playoffs or anything this year anyways. I think we can win the division within the next 2-3 years.

« Reply #199: May 15, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »

You misinterpret. I want our team to turn into that exciting young team with a very promising future and at the same time is competitive and entertaining, now. I don't want the Devil Rays history. :lol:

With any luck and with how our farm system has been going, we aren't going to be waiting that long. Hopefully.