Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3  (Read 23825 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 3
« Reply #475: April 03, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
Well, im fine with the choice of walking utley and howard in the 8th, but when the game is on the line and can end with a single run.. Why do it again?

I agree, especially with only one out, but you still expect your "pitcher" to throw strikes (at least maybe one strike, or maybe that's too much to ask). :?

natsfan1a

« Reply #476: April 03, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
:woop: Guuuuuuuuuuuuze!!!

and one obvious positive from today's game, is guzman continuing to prove that he's back to minnesota twins form!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #477: April 03, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »
Well, im fine with the choice of walking utley and howard in the 8th

The initial choice, though, was to walk Utley and let Howard hit. If the passed ball didn't happen, Howard would've still been pitched to. That just didn't make sense to me.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #478: April 03, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »
The initial choice, though, was to walk Utley and let Howard hit. If the passed ball didn't happen, Howard would've still been pitched to. That just didn't make sense to me.

again, i forgot lol, thanks to mlb tv.. but anyways after we walked him it wasnt to much of a risk because we still had the ninth.

I agree, especially with only one out, but you still expect your "pitcher" to throw strikes (at least maybe one strike, or maybe that's too much to ask). :?

Yea, i guess thats the glory of it being the first week of baseball.. We can see who can do what in the pressure of the situation given. I dont see Colome doing this type of stuff anymore in the coming months. Im still sad to see our first series (won im greatful for that) not turn out to be a sweep AWAY :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #479: April 03, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »
Can't believe I just spent 3+ hours watching that nightmare on DVR.  A 6-1 lead in the 5th should always result in a win.

-Zimmerman had a horrific game.  Just awful ABs all game.
-Bergmann fell off the cliff in the 6th although there were a few lucky groundball hits against him.
-Rivera laid a huge egg.
-King took a crap on the mound.
-Felipe+Willie Harris both disgusting
-Belliard and Guzman were horrible defensively out there.
-The offense started out decent but then they took the rest of the game off.  We had a chance to win the game with Bases loaded and no outs in the second but (AK) failed miserably.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #480: April 03, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
Don't forget in the ninth, Willie Harris had bases loaded.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #481: April 03, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
Don't forget in the ninth, Willie Harris had bases loaded.

I don't understand why Young never entered the game to hit. There must've been something going on with him. Maybe he was pissed off because the didn't get to start. Did anyone actually see him in the dugout?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #482: April 03, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »
Not even that, is Just Maxwell on our bench? I'd like to see what he can do in a clutch situation. Maybe even hit another grand slam.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #483: April 03, 2008, 05:54:55 PM »
I don't understand why Young never entered the game to hit. There must've been something going on with him. Maybe he was pissed off because the didn't get to start. Did anyone actually see him in the dugout?

Yes he was in the dugout. He is too banged up to start but he was supposed to be available to PH.

« Reply #484: April 03, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »

Oh that would be a great example to set for Elijah Dukes: being a dick and being pissed off because you don't start. I thought we were leaving that up to Felipe Lopez.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #485: April 03, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »
Harris should not have pinched hit, end of story. Where's Daryle Ward when you need him?

natsfan1a

« Reply #486: April 03, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »
From Svrluga, re. B):

Indeed, Dmitri Young's tight back made him unavailable to pinch hit with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning of today's 8-7 loss to the Phillies. Willie Harris thus hit, and he grounded out to first to end the frame.

"Dmitri Young was not available for the game," Manager Manny Acta said. "He came up to me and said that his back was too tight. He couldn't get it loose and he couldn't play today."

Young declined comment after the game. Acta said Young in fact had an MRI, and that will be examined. He will also be checked out by a doctor in St. Louis. For now, he's day-to-day, but this thing may have gotten worse.

One last thing that I need to say about this game. I still want to know A) why Acta chose to walk Utley to get to Howard, and B) why Dmitri didn't pinch hit? Please update if you hear anything.

« Reply #487: April 03, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »
From Svrluga, re. B):

Indeed, Dmitri Young's tight back made him unavailable to pinch hit with the bases loaded in the top of the ninth inning of today's 8-7 loss to the Phillies. Willie Harris thus hit, and he grounded out to first to end the frame.

"Dmitri Young was not available for the game," Manager Manny Acta said. "He came up to me and said that his back was too tight. He couldn't get it loose and he couldn't play today."

Young declined comment after the game. Acta said Young in fact had an MRI, and that will be examined. He will also be checked out by a doctor in St. Louis. For now, he's day-to-day, but this thing may have gotten worse.

A 300 pound smiling paperweight. Glorious. Just what we need.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #488: April 03, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
A multi-million dollar smiling over-paper-weight.

« Reply #489: April 03, 2008, 06:39:34 PM »
A multi-million dollar smiling over-paper-weight.

Touche'. :lol:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #490: April 03, 2008, 06:43:23 PM »
BTW, don't buy the diabetes argument. I've been a type I diabetic for 30 years. I've gotten 30 pounds overweight and lost it in five months.

What the man needs is an insulin pump and some discipline. And maybe an incentive in his contract.

Touche'. :lol:

MrMadison

« Reply #491: April 03, 2008, 06:51:25 PM »
as long as Nick J. stays healthy, and Chris Marrero keeps up his ManChild-ish ways, I'm not really too concerned about what we do with Dmitri.  we could get a competent backup-but-not-quite-starter quality 1B from pretty much anywhere.

my gut tells me Dmitri isn't with the team much longer due to weight/health/trade-to-AL-team-for-DHing.  that said, I don't hate the guy because he's fat. 

he's just not a long-term solution for us at 1B in the National League.   but that was always the case anyway.

if we played in the AL, Dmitri would be more valuable to us on the field, I think.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #492: April 03, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
This was one long GD thread for an early game. We're definitely going to be breaking and re-breaking records all season.