Author Topic: TICKETS RELEASED FOR OD - BUY NOW  (Read 2175 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
TICKETS RELEASED FOR OD - BUY NOW
« Topic Start: March 30, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
Not kidding, go online NOW

arkymark

Re: TICKETS RELEASED FOR OD - BUY NOW
« Reply #1: March 30, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
We just bought one.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: March 30, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »
interesting

arkymark

« Reply #3: March 30, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
So I assume some of the people in line for $5 tickets will do better than they expected.

arkymark

« Reply #4: March 31, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »
I hope this story doesn't offend anyone.  I am well aware that we are fortunate enough to have more money to spend on silly stuff than a lot of people, particularly at this time. 

We had two tickets in the last row of the outfield that we got because we have 20 games and were planning on leaving my son, the (just barely) O's fan at home, but my wife felt guilty, so she got online Sunday afternoon and found that the Nats were selling again, so she bought him a ticket in Section 218.  We didn't know where that was, but it turns out to be inside first base, and inside the security zone where the moderately rich and famous hang out.  (What you get for the extra money is dancing girls.)

So then she continued clicking around and announced they were selling tickets in the President's Club (right behind home plate, buffet, seat service snacks).  Do we want 2, she asked?  No, of course not.  But then I thought about it 5 minutes and decided there would only be one ballpark opening night, this could be a real thrill for my wife and the boy, both of whom love to whatever special thing there is to be done at an event (for example, if we'd let him, my son would fly only first class.  He might be Dan Snyder's foundling child.  Except he's a nice person.)  Anyway, I decided that the tires will last another week, so we should go for it.  She got the tickets, I found a home for the ones we had (I think), and they had a great time.  It featured two of my son's favorite things, in addition to the fabulous view of a game with a dynamite ending -- steak and being on tv.

So, it turned out to be a great night to remember.  Maybe he can't go to college, but that was kind of dicey anyway.

By the way, I recommend walking to and from the game via the South Capitol metro stop, particularly if you're going west.  We got on a nearly empty orange line train while, I suspect, hundreds were still trying to get on at Navy Yard, and then facing the change at L'Enfant Plaza.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: March 31, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
By the way, I recommend walking to and from the game via the South Capitol metro stop, particularly if you're going west.  We got on a nearly empty orange line train while, I suspect, hundreds were still trying to get on at Navy Yard, and then facing the change at L'Enfant Plaza.

Actually, it wasn't too bad.  We stayed at the game until it was over (10:45 pm?), then dashed to Metro. While very crowded, we did not wait as we made it to escalator #3 and began our descent.  The Metro folks were repeating to "move to the far end of the station", but as we arrived at the platform, a train arrived and we just turned and boarded.  They held it a minute or two to pack us in good, then we departed to L'enfant.

Arriving at L'enfant, there were plenty of folks directing us to the circuitous route to the Orange line train, which was waiting for us.  We even got seats.  This train they held for about 6-7 minutes until they filled it, then we headed to our car, at East Falls Church station.

I was turning my son's light off to his bedroom (in Oakton) at 12:03.  Not too bad.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #6: March 31, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »
...So then she continued clicking around and announced they were selling tickets in the President's Club (right behind home plate, buffet, seat service snacks).  Do we want 2, she asked?  No, of course not.  But then I thought about it 5 minutes and decided there would only be one ballpark opening night, this could be a real thrill...

I was perfectly happy to watch the game on TV.  I really didn't want the hassle of the crowd and logistical problems of any first game.  Then tomterp posted yesterday that tickets were available on-line, I saw a few $68 tickets that went fast.  When I logged in again, the only thing left was the President's Club, single tickets only.  I repeatedly went through the selection process and repeatedly let it cancel.  The postings here from Saturday indicated that it would be cold, but I have this GORILLA suit...  I thought of how many games I could attend with cheaper tickets.  I'd never bought myself anything with cash I'd received for gifts, and this was the sort of thing I'd just never buy myself.  But I came to the same conclusion that you did.  The fact that the game was on ESPN and would open the new ball park made me think: if I was EVER going to wear a gorilla suit to a game, this was the PERFECT setting.  So I FINALLY clicked (thinking "I don't BELIEVE I'm actually doing this.") Section C, Row E.  Unreal... I gasped when I saw the stadium and again when I sat in the seat, the padded seat with a cupholder.  (If I win the Lottery, I'll bring the WNFF regulars to a game there.)

I posted the glorious details in the Game Thread very late last night.  The game was replayed on ESPN2; saw myself.  Did you see the GEICO Caveman sitting in that section?  It was one of the guys in the TV commercials.  I put the gorilla suit on when I got cold in the 7th inning, wearing the red Curly W shirt over it that the Nationals gave out when the Lerner's took over.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: March 31, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
how did you carry around the gorilla suit? must be a big bag

Offline kimnat

« Reply #8: March 31, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »
Arky and N2P, I think it's great that you guys got to enjoy those seats!  I'm glad some true Nats fans got to witness such a fantastic game and enjoy themselves.  Splurging can be fun, if your able to do so.  I'm really glad you enjoyed yourselves!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #9: March 31, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »
how did you carry around the gorilla suit? must be a big bag

A LARGE plastic bag, (like they have at Toys R Us), filled to the brim with the suit and W shirt and hat that I had to take off (blocked the people behind me.)  The security guard at the metal detector laughed as he pulled the pieces out of the bag.  Once I got cold in the 7th inning, I put it on while still sitting in the seat.  The people around me started laughing as I pulled it out of the bag, and helped me put it on.  People started MOVING their seats to the empty ones surrounding me, to try to get on TV.  The GEICO Caveman had been gone after the President's Rigged Race, but returned.  He LOVED the gorilla suit, and motioned me over to tried to get us both on the Jumbo-tron.  I told him that I was a longtime GEICO policyholder. But the Caveman had already left for good when the scoreboard camera operator came by and called out to me.  The people around me were trying to start a Wave, but there were too many empty seats in that section.  (It was WARM and CROWDED in the President's Lounge behind the section, with TVs and hard liquor inside.)  They showed me on the Scoreboard raising my arms to start a Wave, which appeared on the scoreboard about a minute later.  Everyone was high-fiving me or tapping fists for the rest of the game, especially when Zimm' homered. 

I was drinking beer from bottles through the gorilla mask (a proven way to crack people up.)  People dragged me into the lounge after the game and bought me more beer.  It's a HUGE restaurant, with all sorts of CRYSTAL glassware and china in there.  Big buffet of FREE food; good stuff, cheesecake.  I told my new acquaintances, "The Gorilla Thing To Do would be to knock this glassware OVER."  They agreed and pointed me to a big section of glasses, but I didn't do it.  I'm certain that a lot of these folks were season ticket holders in THAT section.  (The discount price is $300 per game for season ticket holders... SHEESH!)  They kept asking me if The Gorilla Man would be returning to more games.  The Nationals staff were all friendly to me, calling out to me, giving me high 5's, and some posed for photos.  I didn't turn down any photo requests (and Screech needs to clean that outfit.)  Somebody can tell Stan Kasten that I'd be HAPPY to appear in costume, in exchange for any unused and FREE President's section tickets!  Oh YES!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: March 31, 2008, 12:50:50 PM »
Sounds like you were the life of the party :thumbs:

I'm really sorry I missed you big-screen appearances, I must have been in line for food at the time :(

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #11: March 31, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
I found a home for the ones we had (I think), and they had a great time. 

They called me on the way home from the game and said they had great seats and were very glad I had located two tickets for my brother and dad. Thanks again!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #12: March 31, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »
I was perfectly happy to watch the game on TV.  I really didn't want the hassle of the crowd and logistical problems of any first game.  Then tomterp posted yesterday that tickets were available on-line, I saw a few $68 tickets that went fast.  When I logged in again, the only thing left was the President's Club, single tickets only.  I repeatedly went through the selection process and repeatedly let it cancel.  The postings here from Saturday indicated that it would be cold, but I have this GORILLA suit...  I thought of how many games I could attend with cheaper tickets.  I'd never bought myself anything with cash I'd received for gifts, and this was the sort of thing I'd just never buy myself.  But I came to the same conclusion that you did.  The fact that the game was on ESPN and would open the new ball park made me think: if I was EVER going to wear a gorilla suit to a game, this was the PERFECT setting.  So I FINALLY clicked (thinking "I don't BELIEVE I'm actually doing this.") Section C, Row E.  Unreal... I gasped when I saw the stadium and again when I sat in the seat, the padded seat with a cupholder.  (If I win the Lottery, I'll bring the WNFF regulars to a game there.)

I posted the glorious details in the Game Thread very late last night.  The game was replayed on ESPN2; saw myself.  Did you see the GEICO Caveman sitting in that section?  It was one of the guys in the TV commercials.  I put the gorilla suit on when I got cold in the 7th inning, wearing the red Curly W shirt over it that the Nationals gave out when the Lerner's took over.

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey people.  Still in a hotel with no internet service because house is being worked on.  I think I took a picture of a guy in a gorilla suit.  Hmm.  Was that you?  Cool!

I was in 232 row B!  Metro wasn't too bad.  Later people!  Only have 2 minutes on the library pc.

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: March 31, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
Good to "see" you online!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #14: March 31, 2008, 07:10:16 PM »
...I think I took a picture of a guy in a gorilla suit.  Hmm.  Was that you?  Cool!
:rofl:
That's not the sort of thing most people tend to forget, unless they had a LOT to drink.  Which was the case for some of them last night.  They had hard liquor in the lounge.  The stadium cleared out fast, but that lounge was still packed when I left.

I wonder how many of those folks woke up today thinking, "Did I see a GORILLA at that game?"  Guys were dragging their wives and girlfriends over to get their pictures taken with me, and vice versa.  It was a nice conversation piece, that brought people together at the start of the season.  I got asked a LOT of questions about it.  I told people that I had to get back to the National Zoo before midnight, or I'd turn into a human being.  Whether I got on TV or not, I knew I'd crack a bunch of people up, and make it a bigger party than it would be otherwise.

arkymark

« Reply #15: March 31, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »
The boy said he saw you there amongst the affluent.  I told him the backstory and he responded "That's crazy."  Yeah, like he's not.  He and his mother were identifying the teeny tiny backs of their heads in the first pitch poster.  Immortality!

Offline SantaNat

« Reply #16: March 31, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »
I thought about wearing my Santa suit but just wore my Nats Santa hat. Just think if a gorilla and Santa were seen at the park, that would really have messed with some inebriated (sp?) minds!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: March 31, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
The boy said he saw you there amongst the affluent.  I told him the backstory and he responded "That's crazy."  Yeah, like he's not.  He and his mother were identifying the teeny tiny backs of their heads in the first pitch poster.  Immortality!

What section was he in?  (There are some really sharp photos of the President section seats on Washington Times' website.  I saw myself in two of them.)  I was in the middle of C, but I saw different sections available on-line, with single-only tickets.  Somebody asked me (in the gorilla suit) to wave to someone in the next section over.  I honored ALL such requests!  One of them was photographing it.  I wanted to make the game as memorable as possible, since this really was a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

When I was repeatedly asked if Gorilla Man would return, it occurred to me that I was helping to sell the highest-priced tickets, making it easier to afford to pay more for free agent pitchers and other players.

arkymark

« Reply #18: March 31, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »
E, row E, in the middle.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #19: March 31, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
I thought about wearing my Santa suit but just wore my Nats Santa hat. Just think if a gorilla and Santa were seen at the park, that would really have messed with some inebriated (sp?) minds!

LOL!!  You don't need a suit to be Santa!  I told my youngest that Santa is a Nats fan!  You just came "dressed down."

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: March 31, 2008, 11:16:44 PM »
What section was he in?  (There are some really sharp photos of the President section seats on Washington Times' website.  I saw myself in two of them.)  I was in the middle of C, but I saw different sections available on-line, with single-only tickets.  Somebody asked me (in the gorilla suit) to wave to someone in the next section over.  I honored ALL such requests!  One of them was photographing it.  I wanted to make the game as memorable as possible, since this really was a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

When I was repeatedly asked if Gorilla Man would return, it occurred to me that I was helping to sell the highest-priced tickets, making it easier to afford to pay more for free agent pitchers and other players.

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you realize that you may be on the road to being the Nats' Chief Z?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #21: April 01, 2008, 12:18:47 AM »
... Nats' Chief Z?

Translate?  What's that mean? (I didn't get to sleep until 6am.)  Z is Zimmerman in NatsSpeak,  Chief is Cordero, Cheeseburger-Eater or the Mod here who hooked up with a Braves Lady.

TomTerp gets all the credit for starting this thread.  I wasn't even looking for Opening Day tickets, at all.  Never been to one and didn't want the hassles of it.  I wish I'd come down earlier to get a long look at the park.  But there was a HUGE line when I arrived by car.  When the Express Bus arrived from RFK, I was behind one person in line and got in for the last Braves out in the 1st inning.  Unbelievable that I saw that much.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #22: April 01, 2008, 12:22:34 AM »
Chief Z as in this guy

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: April 01, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »
Chief Z as in this guy

He's in a wheelchair now, isn't he.  ONE game in a gorilla suit, that did NOT get a closeup on ESPN, doesn't compare to Chief Z's steady Redskins appearances.  Gorilla suit = cold weather ONLY.  I WAS going to wear it to that 2006 game against Philly that STARTED at 11:30 PM because of rain delays, which HAD to be played because of playoff implications (we knocked them out.)  THAT would have been a BLAST, but I couldn't figure out if I could buy tickets that late.

If everyone's going to hit homers in that one outfield section, I'd love to get a zoo full of unrelated, bizarre characters to sit in the front row there: gorilla, werewolf, Santa, clown, zombie, Baseball-Head, Caveman - but NO "eagles" that look like chickens (Screech need not apply.)  I did pick up a mask that is a giant smiling baseball, at 60% off the day after Halloween.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: April 01, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »
He's in a wheelchair now, isn't he.  ONE game in a gorilla suit, that did NOT get a closeup on ESPN, doesn't compare to Chief Z's steady Redskins appearances.  Gorilla suit = cold weather ONLY.  (Image removed from quote.)

I meant it as the start of a new Nats tradition, but I forgot about the hot weather part.  :?