Author Topic: Last Year's 8th Round Pick Could Wind Up Being a Steal  (Read 981 times)

Offline ronnynat

Adrian Alaniz, the right-hander whom the Nats grabbed in the eighth round last year from Texas, has looked very sharp this spring. His latest outing was in a Minor League game Tuesday at Viera and Williams raved about his performance. "He threw very well and commanded his fastball on both sides of the plate," Williams said. He's also got a sharp breaking ball that he threw for strikes. He looked good. If we could push him a little, I'd like that, too." It's still undecided where Alaniz, who was 8-2 with a 2.39 ERA for Vermont last year, will begin the season. Williams said the subject is still under discussion.

He's 24 and could shoot quickly through the system. It's nice to know that there a a few non-top prospects doing well for us.

This was a great article about a bunch of our minor leaguers and a Q&A w/ Adam Carr: http://senatorsbaseball.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=1206123296

Online sportsfan882

Hopefully he'll pitch in Potomac so I can go watch him.

Offline ronnynat

Hopefully he'll pitch in Potomac so I can go watch him.

That's what I was thinking, too. He could end up being this year's Lannan. That'd be awesome.

Offline Dave B

He's 24 and could shoot quickly through the system. It's nice to know that there a a few non-top prospects doing well for us.

This was a great article about a bunch of our minor leaguers and a Q&A w/ Adam Carr: http://senatorsbaseball.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=1206123296

Well, he is 24 and basically played against 18-19 year olds last year.  He probably needs to be pushed a little

Offline blue911

Well, he is 24 and basically played against 18-19 year olds last year.  He probably needs to be pushed a little

That's my thinking. Let's see how he does against Carolina or Eastern League hitters.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• Nats hitters = Maggie Lizer
Apparently, his stuff is pretty pedestrian.  His speed is on Bacsik levels.

Online sportsfan882

Apparently, his stuff is pretty pedestrian.  His speed is on Bacsik levels.

Damn, I was hoping he was a flamethrower.  We need more guys that can throw 90s in our system like Balester and Carr.  Speed isn't everything though. Lannan, Chico and a bunch of others in our system don't throw in the 90s but have been pretty successful.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• Nats hitters = Maggie Lizer
Yeah, we seem to have way too many of those soft-tossers in our system, and a lot of them don't have very high ceilings.  I hope Smoker and/or McGeary can add to their velocity.