Author Topic: Alphonso Soriano...New Nat  (Read 10805 times)

Offline mjteggy05

Alphonso Soriano...New Nat
« Topic Start: December 08, 2005, 12:35:22 AM »
Looks like we get Soriano from Texas for Wilkerson, Sledge, and a minor league pitcher (Galarrage).

What do you guys think?? I'm gonna reserve judgement on this one...

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #1: December 08, 2005, 12:42:08 AM »
well all i can say is the 2005 washington nationals and the 2006 washington nationals are going to be completely different teams.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: December 08, 2005, 12:59:15 AM »
This trade (if the PTBN is Galaraga) leaves two spots on the 40 man roster. I hope they are don't plan on adding a rule 5, unless its someone who CAN hit leadoff and play EVERYDAY

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #3: December 08, 2005, 01:08:35 AM »
Jim got Soriano.  but he gave up too much to get him.

we've got ZERO pitching depth, but we just traded our #1 pitching prospect.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #4: December 08, 2005, 06:46:58 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Jim got Soriano.  but he gave up too much to get him.

we've got ZERO pitching depth, but we just traded our #1 pitching prospect.

I'm going to reserve judgement until all moves are completed.  I think this is only the beginning, so I will hold off evaluating for awhile. On the surface I like it because I love Soriano's pop, and our lineup last year was just brutal to watch night after night.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: December 08, 2005, 09:21:29 AM »
I would try and trade Vidro to an American League team, where he could DH and play a little 2B. I'm pretty sure that type of move would add a couple years to his career.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: December 08, 2005, 09:36:01 AM »
We did not give up too much to get him.  I cant judge on this Galaraga guy, because he was never mentioned as being part of the team this year.  So, it's not going to impact us immediately, if at all.

But A couple months ago we were speculating on this board what it would take to get Soriano and i think we were willing to give up wilk and church. instead we gave up sledge, who is coming off a devastating injury.

its a steal in my book.

lets hope this means vidro is out.  for anything. just dump the salary to free up money

Scot

« Reply #7: December 08, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
Terrible trade for the Nats. Soriano isn't as good offensively as Wilkerson, and the Nats will be paying him $10M in 2006 to maybe be as good as Wilkerson was in 2005.

Scot.

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #8: December 08, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
my feelings are da same as the scott kid, im gonna miss wilky... :cry:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #9: December 08, 2005, 11:42:55 AM »
I too will miss Wilkerson, but such is baseball.  I just hope Soriano can reverse the decline in performance that he's been showing for the past several years.

kevinliu

« Reply #10: December 08, 2005, 12:09:32 PM »
Sorliano's home/away split for Texas is not impressed at all.  He is a career .320 OBP guy. Without power, he offer nothing for the Nats and his power number will decline significantly in RFK. Wilkerson has a bit less power but provide higher OBP(.365 career) Plus, Soriano will be twice expensive as Wilkerson next season. I don't see this trade make any sense.    :(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: December 08, 2005, 12:27:21 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"
Terrible trade for the Nats. Soriano isn't as good offensively as Wilkerson, and the Nats will be paying him $10M in 2006 to maybe be as good as Wilkerson was in 2005.

Scot.

Do you like it better if we deal Vidro, so Soriano plays 2nd?

Soriano offensively is comparatively much better at 2nd than in the OF, it would seem.

Scot

« Reply #12: December 08, 2005, 12:39:03 PM »
Tom,

Both offensively and defensively, I'd rather have Vidro at 2B than Soriano.

If Vidro is dealt and Soriano plays 2B, it depends on what we get for Vidro. Hard to evaluate until you see what the deal is, but I don't think we'd be able to get the equivalent of Wilkerson, Sledge, Galarraga and $5M for Vidro.

Scot.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: December 08, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »
Does anyone think that the potential for a relatively "big name" player to increase ticket sales might've played a part in this trade?

So sad, Wilky hit the first grand slam in Nationals history, and the only one in their inaugural season :(

DelNatsFan

« Reply #14: December 08, 2005, 01:47:33 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
We did not give up too much to get him.  I cant judge on this Galaraga guy, because he was never mentioned as being part of the team this year.  So, it's not going to impact us immediately, if at all.

But A couple months ago we were speculating on this board what it would take to get Soriano and i think we were willing to give up wilk and church. instead we gave up sledge, who is coming off a devastating injury.

its a steal in my book.

lets hope this means vidro is out.  for anything. just dump the salary to free up money

I agree that we didn't give up a whole lot to get him. Though I hate to see Wilky go, you've alleviated some of the outfield log jam. Plus, you don't know how Sledge will bounce back from that heinous hamstring  injury . I wouldn't be overly eager to dump Vidro just yet, though. If for no other reason than his defense. Soriano is a defensive liability at 2B and has resisted moving to the outfield

Offline Ray D

« Reply #15: December 08, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
So sad, Wilky hit the first grand slam in Nationals history

Don't forget Sledge - first homerun in Nationals history.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #16: December 08, 2005, 02:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "Scot"

Not so terrible as you might think

Here's what Soriano in comparison to what the Nats did as a team last season

SB Soriano 30 - Nats 45 (66.7% of all Nats put together)
HR Soriano 36 - Nats 117 (30.7%)
RBI Soriano 104 - Nats 615 (16.9%)
2B Soriano 43 - Nats 311 (13.8% which is one more than Wilkerson)
TB Soriano 326 - Nats 2093 (15.6%)

Scot

« Reply #17: December 08, 2005, 02:09:28 PM »
Kenz:

"park factors" is the magic phrase. Take Soriano out of the best hitters park in the AL and put him in the second best pitchers park in the NL, and his numbers are going to plummet. He's going to get on base less often, have fewer hits, fewer 2Bs, fewer HRs, fewer RBIs, fewer SBs. You can't ignore the parks when trying to project how Soriano is going to hit in 2006.

Scot.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #18: December 08, 2005, 02:19:32 PM »
Soriano hit 39 HRs in Yankee Stadium.  399 in left center and 385 in right center.  Not exactly a small park.  I've watched him a lot and I seem to remember that almost all his HR's are in the gaps or to center.  

And he gives us speed

And soriano has more range at second, so he can probably make up for his errors by getting to more balls than vidro.

This all depends on what happens when bowden is done. I dont think he would  have taken on Soriano's salary if it prevented him from making more deals.  Either he has more money to spend or he knows he can get rid of vidro's money

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: December 08, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »
Scot

Park Factors be damned, Soriano hit a ton of HRs with the Yankees while he was there. How well he does will depend a lot more on his *comfort factor* than any Park Factors. If he plays in LF, he'll be thinking too much about where he is, but if the Nats make a move that allows him to play 2B, his comfort level will rise and will likely not effect his offensive numbers.

- Soriano hit as many HR on the road as Wilkerson hit ALL SEASON
- Soriano stole 22 more bases than Wilkerson and
- Both players drove in the almost the same number of RBI on the road

Take away the month of April for both players and you find that Wilkerson hit .232 the rest of the year, while slugging .375 and Soriano hit for .269 and slugged .517

This is not a bad deal for the Nats, and it will turn out to be a great deal if Soriano plays 2B

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #20: December 08, 2005, 04:57:12 PM »
wow, im surprised, i thought I was the only one that was gonna miss wilky? i've come to realize that he was my favorite Nats player (with Schneider and Church a close second) THis brings up a question, which is probably a newbie question, but like now what do i do with my Nationals Wilkerson shirt??? And o a trade like this has sorta kinda given me a little hope for next season, and im also glad to see that this topic has brought a lotta ppl to the board, it was getting boring

Offline Dave B

« Reply #21: December 08, 2005, 05:00:52 PM »
you hang you wilkerson shirt up on your wall and are not allowed to wear to games

Nationalzfanatic88

« Reply #22: December 08, 2005, 05:39:34 PM »
you hang you wilkerson shirt up on your wall and are not allowed to wear to games

are u serious? I was thinking of still wearing it, to show some sorta "vintage Nat" shirt kinda thing, and will it suddenly become worth a lot of money?? :lol:

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #23: December 08, 2005, 06:23:21 PM »
Quote from: "Nationalzfanatic88"

are u serious? I was thinking of still wearing it, to show some sorta "vintage Nat" shirt kinda thing, and will it suddenly become worth a lot of money?? :lol:

Like my Vlad Expos jersey.  It's so beautiful.  I miss Vlad, and I will miss Wilky.  I liked him a lot.  So, I will not root for him to do well on the Rangers.

As far as the trade goes, I liked the trade.  Wilky wasn't pulling it together, and he struck out way too much.  I liked Sledge a lot too, however he didn't play much last year and was nothing more than a fourth outfielder (though I would have liked him to start for us).  And as far as Galarraga goes, it's okay, because we have an amazing farm system, including Colin Balester, Michael Hinckley, Clint Everts, Daryl Thompson, Kory Casto, Frank Diaz, etc.  ;)  8)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: December 08, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »
What you do is go to a Rangers game wearing an Expos hat  8)

Does anyone else find it weird that the current Nats are trading their former posterboy to the old Senators?

EDIT - btw, moving this thread to trades and transactions.