Author Topic: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2008)  (Read 64260 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread
« Reply #225: August 22, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
Ayala and Lopez can form the Nationals Sandbag All Stars since they were sandbagging it here (a phrase I semi-made up, then I found it out it means to hide the truth about yourself to gain advantage, and sounds like a slow piece of crap).

If you think you semi-made up the phrase "sandbagging" then you must be young.    "Sandbagging" has been around forever.   Why, I remember being drafted into the Army (LOL) ... after I walked to school 5 miles each way ... uphill ... 4 feet of snow.

Offline blue911

« Reply #226: August 22, 2008, 09:11:13 AM »
Who is Luis Ayala and why is his thread in the Nationals section?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #227: August 22, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »
If you think you semi-made up the phrase "sandbagging" then you must be young.    "Sandbagging" has been around forever.   Why, I remember being drafted into the Army (LOL) ... after I walked to school 5 miles each way ... uphill ... 4 feet of snow.

I was trying to think of how to describe it. At first I posted hotdogging, then that wasn't right, then I thought sandbagging was a phrase, but I wasn't sure, so I looked it up.

I must not have heard it before because I put my full effort into everything I do :lol:

I retract any comment taking credit for sandbagging, except for the Nationals Sandbag All Stars.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #228: August 22, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
I'm with you on the application for Lopez and Ayala.    There's another old phrase "goldbricking" that can apply .... "shamming" comes to mind also.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #229: August 22, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
I'm with you on the application for Lopez and Ayala.    There's another old phrase "goldbricking" that can apply .... "shamming" comes to mind also.

Ah, the comedy team of Ayala and Lopez, old Goldbrick and Sandbag, with special appearances by Cap'n Redass

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #230: August 22, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
I also thought it was "being set up for failure " by someone. Sorta like "blindsiding".I just used the term several minutes ago with a client about what he feels is not my performance on a contract in that I showed up for my meeting and his client didn't and they wont let me charge for a return trip.They want to let a third party get involved with them telling the "story"

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #231: August 22, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
One day after recording his first win with the Mets, he records his first save. He looks like a completely different pitcher. What a douche bag. :roll:

Watching the end of the game on SNY, it almost felt like 2005 again. Schneider was behind the plate, Ayala was on the mound, and Ron Darling was in the booth.  :icon_frown:

LetsGoTech

« Reply #232: August 22, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »
Before you get too carried away with accusing Ayala of sandbagging it, bear in mind that you now have two former Met sandbaggers.  (Messrs. Hernandez and Milledge.)  A sandbagger is always a hero to one team and a villain to another.  It pays to see things from both perspectives.

LGT

MrMadison

« Reply #233: August 22, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
Before you get too carried away with accusing Ayala of sandbagging it, bear in mind that you now have two former Met sandbaggers.  (Messrs. Hernandez and Milledge.)  A sandbagger is always a hero to one team and a villain to another.  It pays to see things from both perspectives.

LGT

ya know, I've heard Thug, gangsta, dummy, and all sorts of other things said about Milledge by Mets fans.

but this is the first time I've ever heard anyone call Milledge a "sandbagger."

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #234: August 22, 2008, 11:53:06 PM »
ya know, I've heard Thug, gangsta, dummy, and all sorts of other things said about Milledge by Mets fans.

but this is the first time I've ever heard anyone call Milledge a "sandbagger."
This. Fernando Tatis and Ryan Church got 100x the opportunities that Milledge ever got in NY.

oakviewnatfan

« Reply #235: August 23, 2008, 07:46:16 AM »
Several ex-Nats joined in on the party of trouncing the Cubs by perfoming well last night with their new teams.
I'm happy for them!

LetsGoTech

« Reply #236: August 23, 2008, 09:12:16 AM »
Tatis and Church PERFORMED in New York.  THEY acted like they were being given a golden opportunity.  (One that Church never got in Washington, by the way.  Or at least, that's my perception.  )  Milledge acted like a spoiled brat.  I'm glad he's fitting in better; it seems he's gotten his head screwed back on better, but Milledge behaved his way out of New York.  The Mets DESPERATELY wanted him to work out.  The pub on him was that he was going to be the great Met outfielder for the next dozen years.  I even remember seeing posters for sale featuring Wright, Reyes, and Milledge, and touting them as the team "of the future."

Anyone who suggests he didn't get his chances wasn't paying attention, which is understandable, given that he was playing for another team.

And what, no issues with Endy Chavez?  I mean, after all, he made the greatest catch in Mets history...

LGT

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #237: August 23, 2008, 10:10:34 AM »
Tatis and Church PERFORMED in New York.  THEY acted like they were being given a golden opportunity.  (One that Church never got in Washington, by the way.  Or at least, that's my perception.  )  Milledge acted like a spoiled brat.  I'm glad he's fitting in better; it seems he's gotten his head screwed back on better, but Milledge behaved his way out of New York.  The Mets DESPERATELY wanted him to work out.  The pub on him was that he was going to be the great Met outfielder for the next dozen years.  I even remember seeing posters for sale featuring Wright, Reyes, and Milledge, and touting them as the team "of the future."

Anyone who suggests he didn't get his chances wasn't paying attention, which is understandable, given that he was playing for another team.

And what, no issues with Endy Chavez?  I mean, after all, he made the greatest catch in Mets history...

LGT

The issue with Chavez is that he sucks :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #238: August 23, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »
I like Ayala. When you only have two pitches (sinker/slider) and you hang the slider on a consistent basis,I like him better as a Met.

LetsGoTech

« Reply #239: August 23, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
Well, here's my bottom line, as entertaining as all of this is:

1.  Just because a player struggles in location A, is traded to location B, and immediately succeeds, does NOT automatically follow they were goldbricking or sandbagging or any other euphemism to indicate a less-than-ideal effort.  Statistics prove that employees who are happy where they work are more productive and less prone to absenteeism.  So before you criticize a guy who isn't happy where he is, and doesn't seem to be putting out 100%, consider what YOU would do in the same situation.  And be honest about it with yourself, even if not with me.

2.  Hating a team more than you like your own team (and I've seen a ton of it on here) is an interesting case of self-loathing that I don't believe I've seen outside of Yankees fans and Red Sox fans.  (And, admittedly, a distressingly increasing number of my fellow Mets fans.)  In short, if your philosophy is "My favorite teams are my team and whoever is playing my team's supposed rival", you are not a true fan.  At the very least, you should be able to locate a player on every other team's roster that makes you say, "Man, I wish he played for us."  Yes, even your blood-rival.  (Myself, I have Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard envy...to say nothing of the man-crush I have on Cole Hamels.)

3.  In order to have a rivalry, both sides have to acknowledge it.  Trust me when I say that Mets fans are FAR more concerned with the Braves and Phillies than they are with the Marlins and Nats.  And no, place in the standings has NOTHING to do with it.  If Mets fans considered the Expos/Nats a rival, we'd want to destroy you guys, and I never would have accepted Minty's invitation.  No, I want the Nats to win the division.  I want them to get really good.  I want people to look at the NL East and say, "wow...there just isn't a bad team in that division."  It's more fun that way, n'est ce pas?

4.  There is no honor in defeating an opponent you do not respect.

But that's just my opinion....

LGT

LetsGoTech

« Reply #240: August 23, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
The issue with Chavez is that he sucks :lol:

Oh, good...a rational argument.

Offline blue911

« Reply #241: August 23, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »

1.  Just because a player struggles in location A, is traded to location B, and immediately succeeds, does NOT automatically follow they were goldbricking or sandbagging or any other euphemism to indicate a less-than-ideal effort.  Statistics prove that employees who are happy where they work are more productive and less prone to absenteeism.  So before you criticize a guy who isn't happy where he is, and doesn't seem to be putting out 100%, consider what YOU would do in the same situation.  And be honest about it with yourself, even if not with me.

I've played for some pretty suck ass teams and it's not a lot of fun. Anybody traded from last place to first place HAS to get an adrenaline rush. Who knows maybe Ayala has a comfort zone with Schneider that he didn't find with any of the Nats catchers.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #242: August 23, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »
Go back and edit your post. Rauch blew it last night by giving up 2 runs in the 8th. Besides, this thread should be in "news from around the majors".

Offline spidernat

« Reply #243: August 23, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »

2.  Hating a team more than you like your own team (and I've seen a ton of it on here) is an interesting case of self-loathing that I don't believe I've seen outside of Yankees fans and Red Sox fans. 

This is about the only thing you've said that makes sense. But this kind of attitude abounds even outside of NY and Boston. We have some stupid Redskins fans who obsess about Dallas to the point that they hate the cowboys more than the actually love the Skins. In fact, anyone who wears gear that says something negative about an opponent rather than wear gear that promotes their own team is a moron.

and I never would have accepted Minty's invitation. 

We should all feel favored by your generosity.  :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #244: August 23, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
I like this LGT guy. He made some great points.

LetsGoTech

« Reply #245: August 23, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
We should all feel favored by your generosity.  :?

Actually, it was Minty's generosity.  He told me the Nats had rational fans, as opposed to teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, and yes, even the Mets.  I am beginning to doubt the accuracy of his assessment of the situation.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #246: August 23, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »
Actually, it was Minty's generosity.  He told me the Nats had rational fans, as opposed to teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, and yes, even the Mets.  I am beginning to doubt the accuracy of his assessment of the situation.

I doubt Minty was talking about the fans on here. I hope he wasn't, at least.

oakviewnatfan

« Reply #247: August 23, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
Go back and edit your post. Rauch blew it last night by giving up 2 runs in the 8th. Besides, this thread should be in "news from around the majors".
Sorry, I was referring to his Save on Thursday Night which was the only
Box Score in the Post.
What does this thread should be in "news from around the majors" mean?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #248: August 23, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »

The fact that you believed minty to begin with speaks volumes.  :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #249: August 23, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »

What does this thread should be in "news from around the majors" mean?

It means this thread belongs in the "news from around the majors" section.