Author Topic: [AZ]Elijah Dukes is the greatest golfer ever![/AZ]  (Read 2695 times)

MrMadison

[AZ]Elijah Dukes is the greatest golfer ever![/AZ]
« Topic Start: February 25, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/02/elijah_dukes_tees_off.html

Elijah Dukes Tees Off

Around 7 p.m. on Friday night, Washingtonpost.com master videographer Jon Forsythe, in Viera for Spring Training, went to a local driving range to blow off some steam, or whatever one does at a driving range. And who should he spot in a nearby stall, taking some of the more massive hacks that driving range had likely ever seen? Elijah Dukes, of course. In a move that earned a double extra A+ from the D.C. Sports Bog, Forsythe introduced himself, turned on the video camera and talked some golf with Mr. Dukes.

Forsythe notes that Dukes had a bag full of brand-new Taylor Made r7 irons, which he rarely uses, because he said he only likes his driver. He only began swinging the sticks last November, and said he was at the range on a Friday night because he was bored.

Extreme highlights:

* When Dukes addresses the camera and speaks to "America."

* When Dukes says "I think lessons are in my future."

* When Dukes produces enough sweat to impress Ralph Friedgen running wind sprints in a sauna, and explains the output thus: "You know that saying, 'When you're focused you're gonna probably start breaking a little sweat,' " a saying I had actually not known.

* When Dukes signs off with "Thank you and goodbye for the Golf Digest Edition Part I."

* Not seen in this film, but when Jon first introduced himself and asked Elijah if this would be ok.

"Yeah, I don't see why not," Dukes joked. "It's not like I'm doing anything illegal."

* What happens at 1:45, which will almost certainly be the highlight of Spring Training no matter what happens over the next two weeks. Like, I'm not sure if Dmitri Young arm wrestling Paul Lo Duca blindfolded for a can of baked beans would match this.

you'll have to actually visit the page and watch the video there, cause it is embedded.

personally, I thought it was a great vid, Dukes has tons of personality.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
That was pretty entertaining.  Glad to see he's finding productive (read - safe) ways of spending his idle time.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
elijah dukes >>>>>>>>> tiger woods

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

seriously though, it was unnecessary to film him while he was just trying to get out of the hotel and enjoy some leisure time. the reporter could've just nonchalantly said hello to dukes, and had some small talk. i'm sure dukes didn't enjoy being badgered while he was focusing and teeing off even though he seemed to play along and make light of it. i personally think it was an invasion or privacy.

Offline Dave B

thats awesome. i really would have thought the strategy for him would be avoidance, but this and that 320 interview show anything but.

my dream foursome now includes dukes and ovechkin, not like i had a dream foursome prior to this, but whatever.

Offline Dave B

elijah dukes >>>>>>>>> tiger woods

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

seriously though, it was unnecessary to film him while he was just trying to get out of the hotel and enjoy some leisure time. the reporter could've just nonchalantly said hello to dukes, and had some small talk. i'm sure dukes didn't enjoy being badgered while he was focusing and teeing off even though he seemed to play along and make light of it. i personally think it was an invasion or privacy.

i think dukes was probably ok with it. it wasnt a pressing interview.  he probably appreciates people that just want to talk to him as opposed to avoid him or talk to him about crap in his past

Offline Air Zimmerman

i sent an e-mail to dave steinberg voicing my displeasure with him filming dukes during his personal time. posting a video of dukes golfing is like the paparazzi hawking britney spears at the supermarket. let dukes breath and enjoy his spare time. i applaud dukes for being so courteous and friendly.

natsfan1a

I find it interesting that both 320 and now the Post photographer happened to run into Dukes, evidently without the knowledge of the team, after it had been stated that the team would not be letting the media have access to him without going through a media relations person. Perhaps the FO has changed its approach and is now encouraging Dukes photo opps. Either that or the media is chasing after Dukes like paparazzi after Britney Spears. Edit: Oops, the paparazzi point was already made, I see.

i sent an e-mail to dave steinberg voicing my displeasure with him filming dukes during his personal time. posting a video of dukes golfing is like the paparazzi hawking britney spears at the supermarket. let dukes breath and enjoy his spare time. i applaud dukes for being so courteous and friendly.

So he isn't focusing on baseball 100%? :shock:

Offline Air Zimmerman

So he isn't focusing on baseball 100%? :shock:

actually like dukes said, a golf swing is very similar to a baseball swing and can help your batting skills.  :P

Offline NatsAddict

actually like dukes said, a golf swing is very similar to a baseball swing and can help your batting skills.  :P

Actually, they are not very similar at all.  This is especially true for the 95% of players with a rotational swing, such as Dukes, as opposed to the 5% with linear swings, such as Ichiro, who hit off their front foot, and may explain some of the problems with his golf swing.  But Dukes is enough of an athlete that just about anything he does that doesn't result in injury isn't going to hurt his baseball skills.

I enjoyed seeing this side of him. 

Steve Heezy

Actually, they are not very similar at all.  This is especially true for the 95% of players with a rotational swing, such as Dukes, as opposed to the 5% with linear swings, such as Ichiro, who hit off their front foot, and may explain some of the problems with his golf swing.  But Dukes is enough of an athlete that just about anything he does that doesn't result in injury isn't going to hurt his baseball skills.

Bingo! the two swings are completely different. Its this exact reason why I'm a lefty and golf with right-handed sticks. In high school one never affected the other.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
personally, I thought it was a great vid, Dukes has tons of personality.

I was thinking that while watching the video as well. He actually made what could have been a boring 4 minute video less so with his banter. He seems pretty easy going and if that's an indicator of how he acts when he's in a comfort zone, fans will like him.One fan in particular, is very much looking forward to having his baby. If he's old enough to drive, I would imaging it's pretty hard to drive a care, bent over at the waist like he is all the time. One thing's for sure, he'll be easy to recognized when he arrives at the ballpark, and as a result easy to avoid... LOLOL

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
my dream foursome now includes dukes and ovechkin, not like i had a dream foursome prior to this, but whatever.

My dream foursome would be Jesus, Albert Einstein, Robin Williams and Tiger Woods. I'll drive one of the carts and just enjoy...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

Did you watch a different video than the rest of us? Because it was obvious that Elijah was relaxed and was having fun with the whole thing.

Buddy, you need to stand back and take a good long look at yourself, because the last time I look, Elijah Dukes was a grown man, is quite able of taking of himself, and if he had any displeasure with the guy filming and chatting with him while he hit practice balls, things would have been a whole lot less friendly.

Dukes has enough people trying to suck to him to also have you trying to be his babysitter. While you're standing back taking that good look at yourself, stay there for a little bit extra so the man has some breathing room.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

Not if he swings at baseball that same way. His front foot jerks on every swing.

EDIT: Wow, I haven't put this many posts back to back in a dogs age... I think I will have to attribute the extra posts to "inspired frustration"

Offline UMDNats

AZ, I don't see why it's a big deal this reporter showed up and videotaped. It's what his JOB is. He probably wasn't in your face at all and was cordial.

I'm sure he asked if he could, too. I'm 99.99999% sure he asked Dukes.

The Britney Spears/paparatzzi analogy is way off.

Offline Air Zimmerman

AZ, I don't see why it's a big deal this reporter showed up and videotaped. It's what his JOB is. He probably wasn't in your face at all and was cordial.

I'm sure he asked if he could, too. I'm 99.99999% sure he asked Dukes.

The Britney Spears/paparatzzi analogy is way off.

i thought it was an invasion of privacy.

that is all.

Offline Obed_Marsh

My dream foursome would be Jesus, Albert Einstein, Robin Williams and Tiger Woods. I'll drive one of the carts and just enjoy...

My dream foresome of the day would be Kate Beckinale, Keira Knightly, Salma Hayek, and myself.

Offline ronnynat

My dream foresome of the day would be Kate Beckinale, Keira Knightly, Salma Hayek, and myself.

All kidding aside, this was a good interview.  This is the type of interview I think that Nats320 blog should of done.  Cut the standard newspaper questions and ask different kinds of stuff off the cuff.  Shows the human side of the animal.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke

Actually, many aspects of a golf swing do help baseball (I have played both seriously). Driving through the ball is KEY in both and that is a main benefit to playing the two sports together like Dukes.

Offline NatsAddict

Actually, many aspects of a golf swing do help baseball (I have played both seriously). Driving through the ball is KEY in both and that is a main benefit to playing the two sports together like Dukes.

I have too, but baseball much moreso than golf (although I was at one point down to a 6 handicap), and if you drive a baseball like a golf ball, you aren't going to get it much past the infield.  The use of the legs is reversed, and if you have the arm extension you have in golf with a baseball swing, you're long and loopy are can't catch up to anything over 70 mph. 

Offline mikehughes

Nice sig

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
This is a little off topic but I thought it was weird that I went into a bathroom at a restaurant and they had a poster of missing children and one of the missing kids was named Elisha Dukes.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Nice sig

Thanks, I have a ton I am just going through. Mock is one of my fav.