Author Topic: Sheffield Vs. Boras...*ding ding*  (Read 674 times)

MrMadison

Sheffield Vs. Boras...*ding ding*
« Topic Start: February 21, 2008, 02:02:32 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-sheffield-boras&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sheffield calls Boras a “bad person” as player-agent dispute continues

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 17 minutes ago

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP)—Detroit Tigers slugger Gary Sheffield called his former agent a “bad person” and said Scott Boras is trying to get money he doesn’t deserve.

The dispute stems from the $39 million, three-year contract the All-Star signed in 2003 with the New York Yankees.

Sheffield declined to comment on the specifics of the grievance Thursday, but the designated hitter has said he represented himself when the Yankees’ deal was done. Boras has said Sheffield agreed to let him represent the outfielder when his contract with Atlanta ran out.

Sheffield vowed to say a lot of “ugly things” about various topics when the case is settled and he doesn’t care if Major League Baseball punishes him.

“It ain’t going to be pretty,” he said. “No fine is going to be big enough. No suspension is going to be long enough.”

Boras declined to escalate the situation.

“I’m not going to comment on Gary’s comments,” Boras said.

Sheffield said he has given a deposition each year since the grievance was issued, and Feb. 28 or so will be the next one.

“Nothing happens. Then, he comes back, `I want some more money.’ That’s basically the way he’s acting,” Sheffield said. “I don’t know why. It’s probably personal with him. But when it’s done, it’s going to be personal with me.”

Sheffield fired agent Jim Neader and hired Boras in the spring of 2001, when he created a stir while playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers by demanding a contract extension or a trade. He had $30 million and three years left on his deal plus an $11 million club option.

“I’ve known Gary since he was 15 years old, and I know he’s a good person,” Boras said then.

Sheffield fired Boras in 2003, saying he planned to represent himself in the future.

Several months later, Sheffield signed with the Yankees and said he negotiated the contract himself with owner George Steinbrenner. Boras later filed paperwork requesting 5 percent of the $39 million deal.

Sheffield has said his problems with Boras cost him a longer contract when he became a free agent.

“Can you explain why (Miguel) Tejada gets six years, (Vladimir) Guerrero gets five years and I get three? He cost me two years of a contract because he was trying to tarnish my name,” Sheffield said in 2004. “The whole year in Atlanta, I had to get the players’ association to stop him from writing me threatening letters saying, ‘Either you let me do your contract or I’ll be forced to sue you.’ That’s a threat and harassment.”

Yankees star Alex Rodriguez said earlier this week he still hasn’t spoken with Boras since negotiating his new contract this offseason without his longtime agent.

“Do you blame him?” Sheffield asked.

Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers fired Boras during this winter after the agent tried to shop his services even though the pitcher only wanted to negotiate with Detroit.

Boras does represent other Tigers, including reigning AL batting champion Magglio Ordonez, All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez and first-round pick Rick Porcello.

Sheffield said he is going to warn everybody about Boras when their dispute is resolved.

“It’s going to be the ugliest thing you’ve ever seen because certain people you don’t mess with,” he said. “And I guarantee you, I’m one of them.”

Sheffield said he will tell players to hire whom they want, but will share his experience as one of Boras’ clients.

“Total hell,” he said. “I shouldn’t have ever introduced myself to him. Period. Bad person.”

discuss.

just food for thought, Sheffield described the negotiations in question with the Yankees in detail in his book.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Sheffield Vs. Boras...*ding ding*
« Reply #1: February 21, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
More bad ink about Boras.  Even if Sheffield is a loose cannon, it doesn't help Boras' reputation to have this stuff aired in public.

« Reply #2: February 21, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
Not really a fan of either one of them so if they want to duke it out, let'em.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: February 21, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »
There was a lot of press at the time when Sheff became the only MLB player without and agent.  Neither MLB nor MLBPA had anyone listed as an agent, so Sheff should win.  I have as much right to the commission as does Boras, and I'll let Sheff call me anything he wants for a couple million $.