Author Topic: Don't Divide the Forum  (Read 16276 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Hondo's rant on merging forums
« Reply #50: February 19, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »
We have plenty of users on this board and there are always more people signing up, especially during the season.  I don't think people would refrain to come to this board just because we have a separate section for General and Trades+Transactions.  :roll:

You act like this board is a ghost town when in fact it is the biggest/most active Nationals Baseball message board on the planet. 

Offline Hondo

« Reply #51: February 19, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
I know I stayed away because the divide made it a pain... The only reason I'm trying this one out it because the other is not active enough for me.... 

We have plenty of users on this board and there are always more people signing up, especially during the season.  I don't think people would refrain to come to this board just because we have a separate section for General and Trades+Transactions.  :roll:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #52: February 19, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? 

You have to tip your hat to Hondo for maintaining his focus, in spite of the fact that he doesn't see that his suggestion may actually be more complicated than he thinks :?

At this point I'd recommend just trying to get used to it as it currently is set up. It really won't slow you down navigating around once you get used to it. Trust me, though, use the "Show unread posts since last visit" and
"Show new replies to your posts." It makes it a lot easier.

This is the best advice you've been offered dude. Once you get used to it it won't even be an issue. BTW, doesn't this thread belong in Off Topic? :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #53: February 19, 2008, 05:50:45 PM »
You act like this board is a ghost town when in fact it is the biggest/most active Nationals Baseball message board on the planet. 

True. There just aren't that many Nats fans out there...yet.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #54: February 19, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
when in fact it is the biggest/most active Nationals Baseball message board on the planet. 

It is?

Offline Hondo

« Reply #55: February 19, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
Thats the thing... This should be the most active board, but the way it's divided will annoy people and keep some away (like it did for me)

True. There just aren't that many Nats fans out there...yet.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #56: February 19, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »
This is boring me and becoming like Elijah Dukes hitting 100000 home runs

Offline eckseid

« Reply #57: February 19, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »
Yeah, it would be terrible to see the 3 other threads that have been posted the past WEEK!

You obviously don't care about the majority's opinion here that it's fine the way it is. When I registered here the thought never crossed my mind "oh man.. they have these forum's divided, it's gonna be a ghost town!". You seem to be the only one that really REALLY care's about this.

My problem with you right now, Hondo, is the fact that this is the third post I've seen of you suggesting this. First it was in the Suggestion forum where it belong's, then you bring it up randomly in a thread and now you have a new thread here suggesting the same thing you stated in the original post under the Suggestion forum. You are the only one that really care's about this, the majority here is fine with the way it is.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #58: February 19, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »
You can always check both forums to see if anyone is talking about anything else...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #59: February 19, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »

I was thinking along the same lines. This thread will be nominated for some type of award in the WNFF Awards :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #60: February 19, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
As I've already stated, I don't feel overly strongly about whether the threads are combined or not.  But there does reach a point where I feel like I'm being bullied.  Once I reach that point, I don't want the change to happen just for the sake of preventing the change from happening, and merit is no longer a factor.

I'm there.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #61: February 19, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
You can always check both forums to see if anyone is talking about anything else...

I tried that but this is such a ghost town that there is no discussion going on... must be the divisions :?

Offline Hondo

« Reply #62: February 19, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
Instead if looking at what makes sense, people have gotten defensive....

Offline Hondo

« Reply #63: February 19, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
I never said that it would be a ghost town....

I never said that if it wasnt changed the board would fold or anything like that.  I think the board is strong, I just think it doesnt make any sense to have two forums.  I do think that it would grow and become more active if it wasnt divided...

I provided a list of reasons why, which nobody tried to rebuff...

Everyone just got defensive on the board.  I'm not attacking the board.

I tried that but this is such a ghost town that there is no discussion going on... must be the divisions :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #64: February 19, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Thats the thing... This should be the most active board, but the way it's divided will annoy people and keep some away (like it did for me)

But in the end, you are here. :D 

Trust me, you're making it a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. What you recommended would help, but regardless, it's not something that'll slow you down that much at all unless you're on dial-up or something. I'd recommend giving it a week or so to get used to the current setup. You won't even notice it anymore.

I also do recognize that people that have been here a while aren't realizing that they are just used to the way things have been and that sometimes a change like this (if not put into a thread and discussed to this point) would be welcomed. Stop bashing the dude for actually really trying to make things easier on everyone.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #65: February 19, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
Reason why I'm personally getting defensive? I have 3 actually.

1. http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,7005.0.html
2. http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,7001.msg178725.html#msg178725
3. This thread.

Do you see a pattern here? You think after posting it three different time's people's opinions would change. Guess what? They haven't. They like the way the forum is.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: February 19, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
Instead if looking at what makes sense, people have gotten defensive....

You've pushed the issue beyond useful discussion.  It's somewhat like when a child whines and whines until he gets what he wants.  There reaches a point that even if the parents were ambivelent towards whatever the child is requesting, they don't want to cave in because to do so would be to encourage further unacceptable behavior.  There's a strong analogy here.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #67: February 19, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
Thank you.

But in the end, you are here. :D 

Trust me, you're making it a lot harder on yourself than it needs to be. What you recommended would help, but regardless, it's not something that'll slow you down that much at all unless you're on dial-up or something. I'd recommend giving it a week or so to get used to the current setup. You won't even notice it anymore.

I also do recognize that people that have been here a while aren't realizing that they are just used to the way things have been and that sometimes a change like this (if not put into a thread and discussed to this point) would be welcomed. Stop bashing the dude for actually really trying to make things easier on everyone.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #68: February 19, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »
Hondo...three threads on this very menial issue in one week?  C'mon.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #69: February 19, 2008, 06:12:56 PM »
It is?
Definitely.  Can you think of a bigger and more active Nats board?

Offline blue911

« Reply #70: February 19, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »
Hondo, Shouldn't you have Marion Barry as your avatar?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Don't Divide the Forum
« Reply #71: February 19, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »
 :rofl:

If ever we need a reminder that the MOds are out there, we just got one.  (cue Twilight Zone music)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #72: February 19, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »
Definitely.  Can you think of a bigger and more active Nats board?

This one is just about as active baseball talk-wise right now: http://www.ballparkguys.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=41

It's just not a very good looking board.

You're right, though, that this one does seem to be the most active on the overall.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #73: February 19, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
After the first two I noticed that many trades/transactions/rumors were in the general forum.  I figured that maybe the trades, tranactions, rumors was just there and that everything would be in the general..  After seeing that we signed Perez and there was nothing in the general on it, I thought it was a joke..so I made a new one to see what people thought

Hondo...three threads on this very menial issue in one week?  C'mon.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #74: February 19, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
Man, you should take your jokes on the road... so funny...

Hondo, Shouldn't you have Marion Barry as your avatar?