Author Topic: Don't Divide the Forum  (Read 16320 times)

Offline Hondo

Don't Divide the Forum
« Topic Start: February 14, 2008, 11:01:24 PM »
Trades, Transactions, and Rumors and General discussion should be just one forum.  There is not enough to make two forums.  You are just dividing the activity and it's not good!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Hondo's rant on merging forums
« Reply #1: February 14, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »
It's been working pretty smoothly for us for some time. Besides, once the season begins you'll see the difference in the number of threads.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: February 15, 2008, 12:18:33 AM »
Once the season starts, there will be plenty to discuss in General.

Personally, I've wondered sometimes if Trades, etc should be put in News Around the Majors as a Child thread.  However with all the Mitchell Report stuff its cool to have a place only for transactions.

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: February 15, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »
I also think that it makes sense to keep the current thread designators as-is. As spidernat and calsgr8 point out, General activity will pick up with the start of the season.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #4: February 15, 2008, 08:17:09 AM »
I also think that it makes sense to keep the current thread designators as-is. As spidernat and calsgr8 point out, General activity will pick up with the start of the season.

Also, trades and transactions are posted in the general thread during the busy traffic of the season and get moved to trades, transactions and rumors after a brief stay there.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: February 16, 2008, 08:59:55 PM »
Trades, Transactions, and Rumors and General discussion should be just one forum. There is not enough to make two forums.  You are just dividing the activity and it's not good!

All suggestions are welcome, but combining sections of the forum makes no sense. During the off-season, the General thread gets much of the action, but on the whole all the threads serve there purpose and get used. Even out of section posts that get posted in the General section often get moved to the appropriate section eventually.

The forum sections were created to help fans more easily navigate around the forum. Not everyone spends all their time in one section. Many spend just as much time reading the messages and following the other threads as the General.

It makes no sense to change something, in this case the forum sections, that isn't broken.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: February 16, 2008, 09:58:24 PM »
I agree with Ken, I like the sections as they are now.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: February 17, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
Keep as is.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #9: February 17, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
It ain't broke

Offline saltydad

« Reply #10: February 17, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
No change.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #11: February 17, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »
Trades, Transactions, and Rumors and General discussion should be just one forum.  There is not enough to make two forums.  You are just dividing the activity and it's not good!

Although I agree with merging the two forums, I'm puzzled by your sudden interest in this topic despite you not posting here nearly at all.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #12: February 17, 2008, 10:50:07 PM »
Although I agree with merging the two forums, I'm puzzled by your sudden interest in this topic despite you not posting here nearly at all.

Going by what he said in other threads, I think he goes to quite a few message boards and these were just things he noticed that work better on some of those other sites. I actually agree with him, too, but I rarely actually go into the separate forums on here. I usually just click on "Show unread posts since last visit" and go from there.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #13: February 19, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »
Going by what he said in other threads, I think he goes to quite a few message boards and these were just things he noticed that work better on some of those other sites. I actually agree with him, too, but I rarely actually go into the separate forums on here. I usually just click on "Show unread posts since last visit" and go from there.

Which is also what I do, and why I rely on everyone here for feedback.  Hondo, while I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and contributions, it would seem that the majority are in favor of maintaining the status quo for now.  I hope this won't keep you from visiting, and I encourage you to try using the "show unread posts since last visit" link at the top of the page if you like to see all new discussions in one list.  :thumbs:

Offline Hondo

« Reply #14: February 19, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
This has been talked about in a few forums..

With a new season a month away, I think it's time to make a much needed improvement to the board. 

It's time to make the general forum and the trades, transactions and rumors ONE board.  It's crazy that I need to go back and forth between the two to talk about the nationals.  Odalis Perez signs today and there is not a word about it in the general forum. 

I really like this board (I was on a couple others that just were not active enough), but there is NO reason to divide the board.  It's not like there is so much activity to divide the subjects.  I think that it makes the board less attractive to new users....

Please if you agree, back me up here..

« Reply #15: February 19, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »
Is this really a pressing issue?

Offline Hondo

« Reply #16: February 19, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »
I think it is.  I know personally, I liked this board buy kept away because it's divided and a pain to post on it...  I know I'm not alone.

Why not just make it better?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: February 19, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
I agree with you, but it seems most here are comfortable with the way things have been. I'd recommend using the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature at the top of each page. It works better than just searching around for new posts/threads anyways.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #18: February 19, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
On the Trades, Trans, rumors forum...The 12 newest thread was last replied to December 27th!

Just combine the two and you can

a) have the most active threads at the top
b) not look like the board sucks and is inactive
c) dont force users to check 2 diffrent forums to see whats going on and reply to threads.

This is such a no brainer...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: February 19, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Is this really a pressing issue?

It's becoming one, I guess.

Hondo, be patient. Once the season begins those posts will generally debut in the General Discussion area and after a brief stay usually get moved to another place so as not to overload the General Discussion board. The activity is about to increase shortly and the difference as well as the need for separate forums will be quite evident, IMO. I think I had a similar issue way back when until I decided that the problem was with me (I was being too lazy about browsing around) and not the forum.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #20: February 19, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
I want to follow the threads I am posting in... IT makes no sense why I need to check two forums...

I agree with you, but it seems most here are comfortable with the way things have been. I'd recommend using the "Show unread posts since last visit" feature at the top of each page. It works better than just searching around for new posts/threads anyways.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #21: February 19, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
I'm sorry, but I dont agree...

Boards 100 times bigger than this one dont need to divide their boards...  It's crazy that we signed Odalis Perez and there is nothing about it in the general forum.  I posted something there and it was moved very quickly.

It makes no sense.....

It's becoming one, I guess.

Hondo, be patient. Once the season begins those posts will generally debut in the General Discussion area and after a brief stay usually get moved to another place so as not to overload the General Discussion board. The activity is about to increase shortly and the difference as well as the need for separate forums will be quite evident, IMO. I think I had a similar issue way back when until I decided that the problem was with me (I was being too lazy about browsing around) and not the forum.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #22: February 19, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
I want to follow the threads I am posting in... IT makes no sense why I need to check two forums...

My point was that you DON'T need to check 2 forums at all. You can click on "Show new replies to your posts." at the top and it'll show you all the threads you posted to that have responses. It's quite simple, actually.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #23: February 19, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
Please dont get me wrong and get defensive..

I think the board and it's users are great.  I have converted from another board because of that.  I just think that it would make it so much better and I know that the reason I was on another board was because of this divided setup.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #24: February 19, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
I can see it now. The format is changed and then people moan about the new setup.

On another OT note, the movie Hondo is about to air on TCM under its original 1953 format :lol: