Author Topic: Nats after Card's Morris?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nats after Card's Morris?
« Topic Start: November 04, 2005, 09:10:23 AM »
From Ladner:

"In other news, add left-handed reliever Scott Eyre and right-hander Matt Morris to the list of free agents the Nationals are interested in.

Eyre has been a quality reliever for the Giants since 2002. Last season, the left-hander appeared in 86 games and went 2-2 with a 2.63 ERA.

Morris has spent his entire eight-year career with the Cardinals. He was 14-11 with a 4.11 ERA last season. "

Go JimBo Go!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #1: November 04, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
I'm amazed at the amount of news (for this time of the year) we are getting. Lefties, Scott Eyre and Chris Hammond, along with right hander, Kyle Farnsworth are on my "Possible list" of players that the Nats could sign, if given a decent budget.

I like the list of names that Jimbo is talking to. A.J. Burnett, Kevin Millwood and Jarrod Washburn in the first group of names we heard about and now Scott Eyre and Matt Morris.

I wonder if this might be an indicator that Bowden already has some kind of idea what his minimum budget will be for next year?  If there any seriousness to his talks with these players, his 2006 budget is a minimum $60 million, and that's before he get the final word as to how much from the new owners.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: November 04, 2005, 04:21:10 PM »
If I were incoming owner, I'd be pleased with the progress he's made so far.  

This morning was the first time in a week that the Theo story got kicked out of being the lead topic of discussion on XM baseball.  

The best improvements you can make to a team are often not the big splashy ones.  I am already liking our bench for next season much better than last.  Let's see what JimBo can get for Vidro or Wilky.

One high priority nobody's talking about - catcher.  We need a decent backup, cause Brian's throwing shoulder ain't looking so hot.  He needs to be platooned next season at least one-third of the games, IMHO.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: November 04, 2005, 06:24:45 PM »
There's talk over on the mlb.com board that Bernie Castro could be the leadoff hitter the Nats need. If that's the case, both Vidro and Spivey will likely be playing someplace else next season. Castro's numbers show he can hit, but I'm wondering if he's any good defensively?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 05, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »
Here is the feedback I was able to get from the Orioles' board.

-------------------------------------------------
He's a one tool player and that tool is speed. He's a slap hitter and if given a full year he may hit .260 with 40 stolen bases.  He has no power, is not good defensively (hands not soft and weak throwing arm), plays only one position (second base) and missed batting practice three times in his September starts because he overslept (if you believe the Baltimore Sun). Here's a guy that finally gets an opportunity to play in the show and he isn't motivated enough to wake up to make batting practice . That shows a real lack of discipline.
------------------------------------------------
I think you've got yourself one hel! of a pinch runner. If you get anymore than that out of him, consider it a huge bonus.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: November 05, 2005, 10:43:02 AM »
I just noticed he made 3 errors in just 51 chances with the O's last season. That means, he's pretty much useless as a defensive replacement as well. Maybe the reason Bowden signed him is because he had him confused with Ramon Castro the Mets catcher...

So what Jim signed is basically a very good minor leaguer and a so so major league ball player. I sure hope Castro isn't guaranteed a roster spot, and nothing more than an invitation to spring training was written into his contract.

The Nats farm system already has a whole bunch of good hit, not glove players, so I guess one more wont hurt.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: November 05, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »
Hey Ken,

Or should I call you "Joe Jackson"?

;)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: November 05, 2005, 02:29:37 PM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Hey Ken,

Or should I call you "Joe Jackson"?

;)

On the mlb.com board? You can say both Shoeless-Joe and Joe Jackson now, cause I did a bit name changing this morning.

Shoeless-Joe Jackson is now Joe Jackson, and Kenz aFan is now Shoeless-Joe Jackson. I am going to only use Kenz aFan here in this forum

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: November 05, 2005, 05:44:24 PM »
Yesterday I was wondering about it, and today I was sure about it.

Don't worry, your cover is safe with me.  Glad you're not pissed for outing you on this forum.

I figured that you're a moderator, you could have deleted my post if you REALLY wanted to stay incognito.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: November 05, 2005, 08:54:25 PM »
Why would I be pissed, and there's nothing to cover. So far you and the Geek have figured out it was me on the other board (that I'm aware of).

If no one else makes the connection, it makes no never mind. I just figured if I was gonna post in both forums, that I needed to give each forum its own identity.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: November 05, 2005, 10:03:19 PM »
I wish we could bring more guys over here from the other forum, but some of them seem convinced that to post in both forums would be a cardinal sin :?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: November 05, 2005, 10:22:10 PM »
Every now and then, I'm gonna slip in one of my sigs (see below) in threads over at the Nationals board. I don't want to over do it, so I'll try and be selective as to when I slip it in.

But I was reminded by a friend here, that if I did that I might get banned for a bit because its considered advertising, so maybe the last two lines shouldn't be included...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: November 07, 2005, 02:34:55 AM »
You're not gonna get banned here for promoting the official Nationals website, that's for sure.  I just wish the reverse were true.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #13: November 07, 2005, 11:57:53 AM »
I'm gonna try this a few times, and if no one complains, and if I don't get banned, I'll use it a bit more often. If I get banned for a week or whatever length, I'll switch to the second one...

_______________________________________ ____
Nats Forums: Be informed, live in the best of all worlds
Nationals Forum @ www.forums.mlb.com/ml-washington
Nats Fan Forum @ www.nationalsforum.net
Baseball Fever @ www.baseball-fever.com

_______________________________________ ____
Nats Forums: Be informed, live in the best of all worlds
For more information, inquire within... WINK