Author Topic: Help - Weird leak  (Read 10984 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Help - Weird leak
« Reply #75: February 09, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »
I am so sorry!  We feel your pain.  Always seems to be a task that can never be done easily.  Our's today is having to replace the kitchen faucet.  What should have been a simple task has been ongoing since 11:30 a.m.

I really hope your problem gets resolved soon.  Is this something insurance should be brought in to manage?

No, insurance wont help, not yet because its suspected GROUND WATER damage and not a broken pipe or something like that.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #76: February 10, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
crap!  I would think that insurance should cover a crack in the foundation.  But I know they are pretty stingy w/ paying out.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #77: February 10, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
crap!  I would think that insurance should cover a crack in the foundation.  But I know they are pretty stingy w/ paying out.

Sure, and if you battle them for a payout, they can just cancel you next cycle around.  Nobody says an insurance company has to renew your policy.  In the current insurance environment, you are better off if you raise your deductible to a high level ($1,000, say) and self insure the small stuff.  If you are a pest to them, they can and will terminate you as a customer.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #78: February 10, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
Sure, and if you battle them for a payout, they can just cancel you next cycle around.  Nobody says an insurance company has to renew your policy.  In the current insurance environment, you are better off if you raise your deductible to a high level ($1,000, say) and self insure the small stuff.  If you are a pest to them, they can and will terminate you as a customer.

Well, the way I'm told, at least regarding flood insurance.  Flood insurance only covers structure which is supposed to be covered by my Home Owners.  So flood insurance would be useless.  As far as my "condo insurance" because this is a condo townhouse, I think it only covers a pipe leak.

I had a bunch of leaves near the rear of my house I raked them but I hope they didnt' blow back.  From raking I discovered what looked like some holes under my back steps.  So I have to call the pest control people to investigate that tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, my washer broke.  So I just got back from the Coin Laundry.

Also, I've been coughing a bit so my energy level isn't great.

You've heard the expression, When it rains it poors?  Well in my case its more ways than one.  OOPS, got to get the laundry (especially the towels) from the car. 

Later!

PS.

Thanks for "listening" to my rant and rave.   :rant:   It helps a lot!   And keeps me from going  :panic:.  You're a great bunch, you really are!   :thumbs:

natsfan1a

« Reply #79: February 10, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »
Yikes - it sounds like it is pouring - must be frustrating!

My mom always said that celebrities died in threes. I'm beginning to wonder whether that also applies to household items. ;) We had a recent situation where the furnace, clothes dryer, and my car were all crapping out simultaneously.

Hope that things improve for you soon. There seems to be some sort of cold/virus going around so take care with the coughing.

I had a bunch of leaves near the rear of my house I raked them but I hope they didnt' blow back.  From raking I discovered what looked like some holes under my back steps.  So I have to call the pest control people to investigate that tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, my washer broke.  So I just got back from the Coin Laundry.

Also, I've been coughing a bit so my energy level isn't great.

You've heard the expression, When it rains it poors?  Well in my case its more ways than one.  OOPS, got to get the laundry (especially the towels) from the car. 

Later!

PS.

Thanks for "listening" to my rant and rave.   :rant:   It helps a lot!   And keeps me from going  :panic:.  You're a great bunch, you really are!   :thumbs:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #80: February 10, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »
You've got water in another part of the basement, and it hasn't rained? And the sump is all but dry???

You say "leak," but you mean wet spot on/under the carpet, right? It's not possible that it's been there all along, is it?

You really need a home inspector.

Here we go again.  Another Leak.  Another part of basement.  Again not near any walls.   >:( :'( :'( :'(

I'm going out to

a.  Run an impt errand I have to do.
b.  Get a medical mask because I'm taking carpet up again and I don't want my allergies to act up
c.  Plenty of plastic crates to put stuff in.

Later!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #81: February 10, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »
You've got water in another part of the basement, and it hasn't rained? And the sump is all but dry???

You say "leak," but you mean wet spot on/under the carpet, right? It's not possible that it's been there all along, is it?

You really need a home inspector.

It rained I guess.  Last Tues/Wed, I'm told it stormed.  But in the morning I didn't see evidence.  Last night I know it rained too. Car was wet.

Yeah, more wet.  Now its from the back wall of the basement to about a 1/4 in or so. 

I haven't had a chance to pick up carpet because I'm too busy picking stuff up off the floor!  I was thinking of calling the basement guy again. 

Yeah, I might do that insptector thing but the place has to be in shape to inspect.  Between not feeling good and carting laundry in and out and up and down steps.  I'm just finishing a 2 hr break or so since I got home from laundry and lunch. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #82: February 10, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
This is to strange given that you've lived in this place since 94.

It's hard to believe that the very first time you would see this problem is in a house that's been around a few years. And if you haven't replaced the carpet since you moved in, it's been even longer than 14 years...

What could have changed?

It rained I guess.  Last Tues/Wed, I'm told it stormed.  But in the morning I didn't see evidence.  Last night I know it rained too. Car was wet.

Yeah, more wet.  Now its from the back wall of the basement to about a 1/4 in or so. 

I haven't had a chance to pick up carpet because I'm too busy picking stuff up off the floor!  I was thinking of calling the basement guy again. 

Yeah, I might do that insptector thing but the place has to be in shape to inspect.  Between not feeling good and carting laundry in and out and up and down steps.  I'm just finishing a 2 hr break or so since I got home from laundry and lunch. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #83: February 10, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »
This is to strange given that you've lived in this place since 94.

It's hard to believe that the very first time you would see this problem is in a house that's been around a few years. And if you haven't replaced the carpet since you moved in, it's been even longer than 14 years...

What could have changed?

I've owned this house since 94.  The carpeting isn't THAT old.  It was put in years later, although how many I'm not sure.  I had 2 previous instances of water before carpeting.  1) was when the house (if facing the hourse) to the left of me had a major pipe bust and some of the remnants leaked into my basement.  2) Had a small leak around a month or 2 later from the house on the other side having a small accident.  I thought I was done with leaks so I put in Berber carpeting.  It was always so cold in the basement that a carpeted floor felt great!

I had 1 pipe bust and you could tell because it broke thru the ceiling.  I think I caught the break before that much had soaked into the carpet.  It was fixed with the same type of pipe.  I fully intended after that to have my pipes fixed (Its PB pipe) but Mom's needs and health needs became more and more frequent and taking care of the house just wasn't high on the priority list.  I was spending more and more of weekend time up in Maryland.  The times I didn't go to Mom's I wanted to have a little fun.  So the work didn't get done there either.

I'm a horrible procrastinator and now its beating up on me.  I never had a leak where I couldn't tie it back to PB pipe or the toilet (I had a toilet seal fixed a month or so ago) or whatever before.  We've had horrible snows and rain storms but I never had a problem with ground water puddling in the basement until now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #84: February 10, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »

I got two theories on holes.  1- You have clogged gutters, which are dripping down in the exact same place every time it rains, making small holes, but they would be in a row most likely.
2- Chipmunks.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #85: February 10, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
I got two theories on holes.  1- You have clogged gutters, which are dripping down in the exact same place every time it rains, making small holes, but they would be in a row most likely.
2- Chipmunks.

I'm thinking something along the lines of door #2.  It under my step and not in a row.  The steps would have gotten the rain.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #86: February 11, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
I'm thinking something along the lines of door #2.  It under my step and not in a row.  The steps would have gotten the rain.

Definitely chipmunks.  I have just the cure for that problem.  Penny is available on a short-term lease basis - I'm thinking two weeks and your problem is solved:

natsfan1a

« Reply #87: February 11, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
:shock: (Run for your lives, Chip and Dale! :))

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #88: February 11, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
Definitely chipmunks.  I have just the cure for that problem.  Penny is available on a short-term lease basis - I'm thinking two weeks and your problem is solved:

(Image removed from quote.)

To quote Indiana Jones (or attempt to)  SNAKES?!  I hate snakes.   :shock: :panic:

Really I have a contract with Terminex who will comeout tomorrow and inspect.

You know, when contractors aren't helping.. It really makes it frustrating.  I can't do anything until someone finds the cause.  I've called a plumber who will come out today.  IN the meantime, I called a carpet place to see if they could at least attempt to remove the carpet.  Its a bigger job than I can handle at the moment.  They said you have evidence of some mold (1 dark spot), they can't touch it (Stanley Steemer) .  Call someone who can.  By the way, don't put on the heat in your house because it could spread it around your air ducts.  Yeah, right, no heat!

So I look up ServiceMaster and call them.  They won't even come out until the cause of the leak is resolved.  Ok, so now I have to wait for a plumber.  Goody Goody!   :roll: :?

natsfan1a

« Reply #89: February 11, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
Hope that Terminex and/or the plumber will come to some conclusion about the cause. No heat is a non-starter for sure!

Really I have a contract with Terminex who will comeout tomorrow and inspect.

You know, when contractors aren't helping.. It really makes it frustrating.  I can't do anything until someone finds the cause.  I've called a plumber who will come out today.  IN the meantime, I called a carpet place to see if they could at least attempt to remove the carpet.  Its a bigger job than I can handle at the moment.  They said you have evidence of some mold (1 dark spot), they can't touch it (Stanley Steemer) .  Call someone who can.  By the way, don't put on the heat in your house because it could spread it around your air ducts.  Yeah, right, no heat!

So I look up ServiceMaster and call them.  They won't even come out until the cause of the leak is resolved.  Ok, so now I have to wait for a plumber.  Goody Goody!   :roll: :?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #90: February 11, 2008, 05:31:38 PM »
It's time to call a home inspector. Go by your local real estate office and ask them for references to someone who has been around forever and can help with a problem like this. They aren't that hard to find.

Call Claxton Walker and Associates. They'll help you with an inspection. They might be able to help you find someone to tear the carpet out, too. They aren't cheap, but they've been around forever and Clack is/wasvery  demanding of who he'd hire. He has to be retired by now, but I've used his guys on a couple of occasions and they are very thorough.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #91: February 11, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
Ok, I'll call them tomorrow.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #92: February 13, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
I called and left a message.  They didn't call me back yet.

Pest control says to fill up the holes with rock and dirt.  When I'm feeling better maybe.  He said it didn't look like rats or mice.  Maybe chimpmunks.

Basement guy says he has to dig into the perimeter of the basement, put in a pipe to meet up with my sump pump.  He's going to email me the estimate of about 2500 dollars.  I still have to clear up the place. before they can get the carpet up and out.  I dropped off one load of donation to the Salvation Army this afternoon and picked up some more plastic bins.

Doctor appt tomorrow.  Hope to rent a van to put stuff in on Friday.  Oh, and work wants me on night shift!   :roll:

Thanks for letting me rant!

natsfan1a

« Reply #93: February 13, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
I was thinking about you today with all that rain.

Hope the home inspector has better news for you.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #94: February 13, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
Basement guy says he has to dig into the perimeter of the basement, put in a pipe to meet up with my sump pump.  He's going to email me the estimate of about 2500 dollars. 

That's the basement guy's answer to everything.  Cordero giving up too many longballs?  You just need more drain pipe around your basement.  Etc.  I know you're on this track anyway, but to reiterate, don't fix the problem until you know what it is, and a home inspection guy is probably your best bet for objective advice.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #95: February 13, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
That's what he said.  More drain pipe around the basement to the sump pump.  I'll try to call the Home inspector back, but I've already left one message.

I'm soooo frustrated right now, because I've got a water logged basement for what will be over a week, mold growing, being sick and a boss who is unfamiliar with my predicament.

natsfan1a

« Reply #96: February 13, 2008, 09:53:19 PM »
It must be frustrating and I'm sure it doesn't help your allergy issues any. Wonder whether your HOA could recommend an inspector as they did a plumber? If you are acquainted with any realtors, they might also have a line on good inspectors.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #97: February 13, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
You know the only thing that would make you feel worse? If you pay the basement guy $2500 and it doesn't fix the problem.

That's the basement guy's answer to everything.  Cordero giving up too many longballs?  You just need more drain pipe around your basement.  Etc.  I know you're on this track anyway, but to reiterate, don't fix the problem until you know what it is, and a home inspection guy is probably your best bet for objective advice.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #98: February 13, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »
You know the only thing that would make you feel worse? If you pay the basement guy $2500 and it doesn't fix the problem.

I know, but I'm getting desperate.  No one will remove my wet carpet until I find the source.  The mold is growing and I believe that maybe what's making me sick.  I can't turn my heat off, its too damn cold.  I filled out the online form at that company you recommended for Friday.  I have to go to the doctor Tomorrow. 

From reading the literature on the Claxton Walker site, Mold could be causing my respirtory problems.  I don't have the appropriate mask to work down there according to their documents.  Yet I have to clean it up to fix the leak because the carpet cannot be removed until the leak is fixed.  I can't fix the leak until I expose myself to more mold to clean the place up!  I can't have friends helping me with this because then it exposes them to mold.  :panic: :panic: :rant:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #99: February 14, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
Would you like a few of us to try to pull our schedules together to come help out?