Author Topic: NEW FAD IN PACKAGING SNACKS....100 CALORIES  (Read 892 times)

nospinzone1

NEW FAD IN PACKAGING SNACKS....100 CALORIES
« Topic Start: January 19, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
WHAT DO YOU THINK????

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: NEW FAD IN PACKAGING SNACKS....100 CALORIES
« Reply #1: January 19, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
Instead of the one, 130 calorie pack with lunch, I feel obliged to eat two of those just-a-little-too-little things.
WHAT DO YOU THINK????

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: January 19, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
Instead of the one, 130 calorie pack with lunch, I feel obliged to eat two of those just-a-little-too-little things.

maybe that is their plan. genius

nospinzone1

« Reply #3: January 19, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »
NO DOUBT THAT IS THE PLAN, OTHERWISE WHY WOULD THE SNACK AISLE ALL OF A SUDDEN FLOODED WITH THEM.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #4: January 19, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
You have to pick carefully. I agree that some 100-cal packs are pretty gimmicky. I like the fig newton minis because you get a decent amount and some actual fruit. And there's always the apple--the perfect portion-controlled snack.

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: January 19, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »
I haven't seen those packs. But you read my mind on the apple comment, 2ipas! :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #6: January 20, 2008, 12:05:56 AM »
You'll find them in the cracker/cookie aisle usually.  Trouble is, sometimes the cookies are so small in the pack they don't taste the same.  Sometimes they are put in "crisps"

If you're carefully watching calories, its another convenience food you can grab and go and be sure its a certain limit.  They do the measuring for you.

I noticed one other thing too.  If you go in the soda aisle.  Look for the 8 oz (short and squat) cans of soda.  Look on the side of Coke.  It says 100 calories.  You can pour your self an 8 oz glass or get the can that's all that's in it.  Same concept.

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: January 20, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
I *do* like those short soda cans.

As far as the snack servings, sounds like one could achieve the same effect for lunches and take-along snacks by taking a few from a larger bag and putting them in a baggie (that's what we usually do)? As I said, I've not seen the new offerings but I would guess that purchasing a bigger container and parceling them out that way would be cheaper (channeling my mom now :)).

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #8: January 20, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
Yes of course.  As with any "convenience food" like the little boxes of cereal, its meant to save you time.  If a big box of Cheez-its says 100 calories per serving and the serving size is 20 chips; it saves you from getting the big box, getting a baggie, and counting out 20 chips.  Of course if it saves you time, its more expensive.

7-11 items are more expensive than the regular store.  At least at my house 7-11 is around the corner and in walking distance.  The store is a mile or 2 down the road.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: January 20, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
I'm not sure why Lisa buys them - she always buys the big bag of Doritos and gives me a baggie full. I think my daughter thinks the snack packs are "cute" (teenage girls... who can tell what they think).

I *do* like those short soda cans.

As far as the snack servings, sounds like one could achieve the same effect for lunches and take-along snacks by taking a few from a larger bag and putting them in a baggie (that's what we usually do)? As I said, I've not seen the new offerings but I would guess that purchasing a bigger container and parceling them out that way would be cheaper (channeling my mom now :)).

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: January 20, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »
They also might be "cooler."

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #11: January 20, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
I'm not sure why Lisa buys them - she always buys the big bag of Doritos and gives me a baggie full. I think my daughter thinks the snack packs are "cute" (teenage girls... who can tell what they think).

Not only the cool factor but "dieting" may be a fad (unfortunately).  Makes it look like she is.  Then goes out with her friends to a burger joint and scarfs down burgers and fries....