Author Topic: showdown at short...guzman vs felipe  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
showdown at short...guzman vs felipe
« Topic Start: January 17, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
Around the Horn: Middle infielders
Belliard set at second; Guzman, Lopez to battle at short
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

Ronnie Belliard started the 2007 season as a reserve, but a thumb injury to shortstop Cristian Guzman and Felipe Lopez's season-long slump resulted in Belliard joining the starting lineup by June. Belliard enjoyed one of his best seasons, hitting .290 with 11 home runs and 58 RBIs. During the season, the Nationals rewarded Belliard with a two-year extension.

The Nationals were amazed by Belliard's work ethic, his acceptance to be a reserve and the fact he often had quality at-bats.

"We like the way he approaches the game," general manager Jim Bowden said after giving Belliard the extension. "We think he is a really good player. I was impressed all year. He is always there for optional workouts. He has a great work ethic and he sets a good example for his teammates. This is a great guy. He gives you great at-bats every time. He has a great attitude whether he is an everyday player or an extra player. I want to have more Ronnie Belliards around."

Recently, Bowden announced that Belliard will enter Spring Training as the starting second baseman. So the big question is, who will be the starting shortstop, Guzman or Lopez? Bowden said that Guzman will enter Spring Training as the shortstop, but both he and Lopez have a lot to prove. They are free agents after the season, so they will need to continue to produce to earn new contracts.

Guzman hasn't lived up to his four-year, $16.8 million contract because of hitting slumps and injuries. Last year, Guzman was off to his best start with Washington, hitting over .320, but he tore ligaments in his left thumb after tagging out Indians infielder Josh Barfield on June 24 at RFK Stadium. Guzman ended up missing all but three games the rest of the season.

If Lopez sits, Guzman most likely will become the leadoff hitter. In 56 at-bats last season, Guzman had a .375 on-base percentage at the top spot in limited at-bats. Guzman has a .302 OBP during his career.

Privately, the Nationals would like Lopez to be the leadoff hitter, but he has to show that his problems off the field are behind him. Neither Lopez nor the Nationals announced what those problems were, but they affected him in '07 and he ended up having his toughest season as a regular.

"We all know Felipe Lopez has the potential to be better than both Belliard and Guzman," Bowden said. "Whether or not Lopez does, it's up to him. He has to do it on the field. He can't get playing time based on potential.

"Certainly, Lopez has the potential to be a good leadoff hitter. But he is coming off a very poor year, but he is only 27. There is no reason why he can't rebound, but he has to do it on the field. He will be given very opportunity to beat out Belliard or Guzman. The best players are going to play to win."

Lopez was the primary guy at the top spot last season and hit .245 with nine home runs and 50 RBIs. He realizes that he has to turn his game around the moment the exhibition season starts.

"They are a little skeptical, but I know I can do the job," Lopez said recently. "A lot of people have had bad years -- a lot of good players -- and they bounce back. That what I want to do. I want to bounce back."

Lopez vows he will once again be the player who had a combined .358 on-base percentage and scored 98 runs for the Reds and Nationals in 2006.

"I want to get back to getting on base, scoring runs and having a high average -- that's what I always want to do," Lopez said. "The team looks really good with all the moves they are making."

most importantly, belly the p.i.m.p. is securely situated at second!   :pimp:

Offline Air Zimmerman

Re: showdown at short...guzman vs felipe
« Reply #1: January 17, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
my money is on guz to win the job. felipe doesn't seem like the type to accept a backup role so i think he'll be dealt.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: January 17, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I would have non-tendered Lopez - he just can't get on base

Offline saltydad

« Reply #3: January 17, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
Wouldn't it be something to have both Guz and Lopez at their best. In that case, I'd probably go with Lopez in terms of durability.

MrMadison

« Reply #4: January 17, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
my money's on Lopez, or a surprise emergence in ST.

I don't have faith in Guzman, and I'm just really ready for him to go away. 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: January 17, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
Guz gets hurt too easily, but Lopez is WAY too easily distracted.  But both can be enormous powerhouses!   

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: January 17, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
I would have non-tendered Lopez - he just can't get on base

He can. Will he, is another story.

in 05 and 06 he had over a .350 OBP. In the 71 games with the nats in 06 his OBP was .362

« Reply #7: January 17, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »

I'm with you.  Lopez had off field issues last year (unknown what they were) that distracted him he says. Hopefully he has put that all behind him and gives it his best.  Lopez could be a surprise.

I am okay with Belliard at second base as a temp solution.  As long as he isn't trying to make boneheaded, backhanded, fluke plays every game he should be sufficient.

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: January 17, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm rooting for Lopez. Guzman looks too much like Ray King.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: January 17, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »
Ideally Felipe would show up to camp with an improved attitude and patience at the plate.  Guzman would be healthy and hitting like he did last year before he hurt his thumb.  Then you could start Felipe at 2B and Guzman at SS and bring Ronnie off the bench and even start him a few times a week to give Felipe and Ronnie a rest.  Felipe is much more suited to play 2B than SS.  He really struggles with his throws from Short but I thought he played excellent defense at 2B last year before switching back to SS. 

exporam

« Reply #10: January 17, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
Just think, in a couple of years when our OF and corners are Burgess, Maxwell, WMP, Millege, Marrero, Dukes, Zimmerman, etc., our middle IF will be.....oh, wait.

Short term we're in a good situation.  Ideally all of them do great and we can maybe trade one for something meaningful at the deadline, BUT, long-term we are in bad shape at SS and 2B.

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: January 17, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »

My man Guzman may run like a duck, but he's a triples machine and he's gonna pick up right where he left off last year, driving the ball to all fields from both sides of the plate, and he's going to leave Felipe in the dust. 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: January 17, 2008, 06:03:36 PM »
Exporam - I love the avi!!!!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #13: January 18, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »

its who ever shows up without their walker & cane got the job.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #14: January 18, 2008, 01:25:14 AM »

its who ever shows up without their walker & cane got the job.
:rofl:

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #15: January 18, 2008, 01:43:58 AM »
As long as he isn't trying to make boneheaded, backhanded, fluke plays every game he should be sufficient.

i prefer to use adjectives like amazing or unbelievable when i describe belly's remarkable behind the back pass. but hey, to each his own.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #16: January 18, 2008, 01:45:20 AM »
i prefer to use adjectives like amazing or unbelievable when i describe belly's remarkable behind the back pass. but hey, to each his own.

Nice use of understated irony.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #17: January 18, 2008, 02:30:48 AM »
My man Guzman may run like a duck, but he's a triples machine and he's gonna pick up right where he left off last year, driving the ball to all fields from both sides of the plate, and he's going to leave Felipe in the dust. 
I think that Guzman's days of hitting as many triples as he did with the Twins are behind him. He won't be playing on any astro-turf this year so balls hit to the gaps won't roll as far or as fast. He doesn't even have deep RFK gaps to drive balls into anymore.

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: January 18, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
I was thinking the same thing!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #19: January 18, 2008, 09:46:29 AM »
"Recently, Bowden announced that Belliard will enter Spring Training as the starting second baseman. So the big question is, who will be the starting shortstop, Guzman or Lopez? Bowden said that Guzman will enter Spring Training as the shortstop, ......"

I agree in both cases but what disturbs me is that it was Bowden making these announcements.  If they are going to make these sort of depth-chart announcements, it should come from Acta. 

I don't really want to hear from Bowden about on-the-field matters.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: January 18, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »
"Recently, Bowden announced that Belliard will enter Spring Training as the starting second baseman. So the big question is, who will be the starting shortstop, Guzman or Lopez? Bowden said that Guzman will enter Spring Training as the shortstop, ......"

I agree in both cases but what disturbs me is that it was Bowden making these announcements.  If they are going to make these sort of depth-chart announcements, it should come from Acta. 

I don't really want to hear from Bowden about on-the-field matters.

I was wondering that too.  But didn't dare ask because I figured someone would talk down to me like I'm some sort of naive idiot.

natsfan1a

« Reply #21: January 18, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
Hope so - go GUZZZZZ! :woop:

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: January 18, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
I think that Guzman's days of hitting as many triples as he did with the Twins are behind him. He won't be playing on any astro-turf this year so balls hit to the gaps won't roll as far or as fast. He doesn't even have deep RFK gaps to drive balls into anymore.

Guz proved in 2007 he was still capable of running out triples, but you have a good point about the gaps in Nats Park vs. RFK.  A lot of those triples will turn back into doubles, for sure.  Nonetheless, I stand by my prediction that Cristian is going to put Lopez on the bench, permanently.  And it will be nice to have someone who actually cares playing SS.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #23: January 18, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
There is one underlying truth that never seems to enter into these deliberations: Lopez is a disaster at shortstop. He cannot play the position.  If he is our shortstop we have no chance of contending to be even a .500 team.

At second base he is a completely different player. Dramatically better. But second base is now Belliard's (and I agree with that).     So I don't see a place for Lopez, unless Belliard flops or is injured.

exporam

« Reply #24: January 18, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

That's my baby!  Good thing for her my wife is good looking!