Author Topic: Giants and Mitchell Report revelations  (Read 3158 times)

natsfan1a

Giants and Mitchell Report revelations
« Topic Start: January 16, 2008, 06:01:29 PM »
Not that I don't want any player-users to be dealt with, but I think this piece makes a good point how owners, GMs, and others in any given organization also bear some responsibility:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=338103

Offline saltydad

Re: Giants and Mitchell Report revelations
« Reply #1: January 16, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
Interesting that he also says the Nats are looking to trade NJ when healthy and the Meathook will start at 1st.

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: January 16, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
That is interesting! I hadn't read the items at the bottom of the page.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: January 16, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »
I understand the "why", but that still makes me sad.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: January 16, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »
I understand the "why", but that still makes me sad.

If you understand the why then you shouldn't be sad about it. I only care about us keeping someone that will be healthy and produce. But I'm sure the prospect of losing a true Nat will make some people here sad  :(

That piece at the end of the article did fail to account for the fact that Cordero will be our highest paid player at 6.2.

« Reply #5: January 16, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
Interesting that he also says the Nats are looking to trade NJ when healthy and the Meathook will start at 1st.

What a terrifying possibility. What a boneheaded move.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: January 16, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
What a terrifying possibility. What a boneheaded move.

Not if he can't stay healthy. Let's face it, he was never a good healer to begin with, and he suffered a gruesome injury that may never allow him to come back 100%. They may actually know that and are preparing everybody for that possibility.

« Reply #7: January 16, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
Not if he can't stay healthy. Let's face it, he was never a good healer to begin with, and he suffered a gruesome injury that may never allow him to come back 100%. They may actually know that and are preparing everybody for that possibility.

Then they certainly wouldn't have settled on Dmitri Young.  You can't tell me there aren't more feasible options out there. Fans have to get off this leadership crap.  I mean should we come up with a new stat for it?  How about LACTOSE? Leadership And Counseling To Out of Society Entities.

NJ hasn't even been given the chance to stay healthy yet. It wasn't like what happened to him is a scratch on the heel or an injury he had previously that flared.  He had his leg broken in a freak play. I'd rather have NJ at first and in the lineup more than Dmitri any day of the week.

But of course that is somehow going to be construed as "hate" on my part by certain parties.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: January 16, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »

NJ hasn't even been given the chance to stay healthy yet.

:rofl:

« Reply #9: January 16, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
:rofl:

From his current leg injury.  Come on dude, who do I look like?  Iluv?

Nothing has been reported saying that he isn't going to be out there during Spring Training.  What damage is he going to do during ST trying to prove himself?  He sucks, then he sucks, Dmitri starts.  He does well, he gets back to form, it can only be a good thing for us. If he gets injured, you got Young on the bench.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #10: January 16, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
Then they certainly wouldn't have settled on Dmitri Young.  You can't tell me there aren't more feasible options out there. Fans have to get off this leadership crap.  I mean should we come up with a new stat for it?  How about LACTOSE? Leadership And Counseling To Out of Society Entities.

NJ hasn't even been given the chance to stay healthy yet. It wasn't like what happened to him is a scratch on the heel or an injury he had previously that flared.  He had his leg broken in a freak play. I'd rather have NJ at first and in the lineup more than Dmitri any day of the week.

But of course that is somehow going to be construed as "hate" on my part by certain parties.

That wasn't hateful at all.  You're right about the freak play. 

And spider, you just don't get it.  You are only interested in winning and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone compartmentalizes like you do.  I (as do most women) look at the whole person, the big picture of the person.  There's nothing wrong about my comment, you just don't understand it and don't even try to.  NJ truly contributed to our team and is a good & honorable guy.   This just really compromises the team's care about his healing and makes it look rather superficial, almost as if saying, "Yeah, hurry up and heal so we can trade you."  That's just calloused.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #11: January 16, 2008, 09:13:17 PM »
Then they certainly wouldn't have settled on Dmitri Young.  You can't tell me there aren't more feasible options out there.

What were the options? They weren't exactly opening up their wallet to spend big.

Fans have to get off this leadership crap.

I think that idea has been laid to rest already.

I mean should we come up with a new stat for it?  How about LACTOSE? Leadership And Counseling To Out of Society Entities.

Pretty good but we'll have to run it by tomterp first :lol:

NJ hasn't even been given the chance to stay healthy yet.

:? NJ has a history of spending time on the DL so don't get that twisted.

I'd rather have NJ at first and in the lineup more than Dmitri any day of the week.

I'd rather have Pujols on 1st but that isn't an option. I don't think NJ has ever had a full injury free season.

« Reply #12: January 16, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
What were the options? They weren't exactly opening up their wallet to spend big.

No, they weren't going to spend big.  But they certainly didn't have to settle on the biggest guy out there.

I think that idea has been laid to rest already.

Funny how we read it in every piece written about the guy still.

Gotcha.

I'd rather have Pujols on 1st but that isn't an option. I don't think NJ has ever had a completely injury free season.

Now that is ridiculous.  Of course that isn't an option.  And lets not forget: Dmitri has had his share of problems.  In fact, he has had a lifetime worth of problems and I am surprised that everyone believes those problems are all but solved in only a six month time span and given him the keys to the mentality of players like Milledge and Dukes.

And its certainly not like Young hasn't been out with injury either.  I tend to remember last season he was out for a few weeks for what?  A little smack on his head?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: January 16, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »
That wasn't hateful at all. 

I think he has been called out on that in the past (by some parties) because even before the season began last year he clearly wanted Lee to be named the 1st baseman instead of wanting the best man to win the job.

I (as do most women) look at the whole person, the big picture of the person. 

NJ truly contributed to our team and is a good & honorable guy.   

This just really compromises the team's care about his healing and makes it look rather superficial, almost as if saying, "Yeah, hurry up and heal so we can trade you."  That's just calloused.

:doh: :stupid:

And spider, you just don't get it.  You are only interested in winning

Memo to kimnat: That's what sports is about! WINNING! That's why you compete, to WIN! That's why we (you included) celebrate curly W's! That's the objective of competition and sports. Hopefully that's what our FO is interested in! Anything short of this goal is a loser's mentality. If you don't like the fact that sports is about winning then maybe sports isn't for you. Shopping may be a good hobby for you. I hear women like shopping.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: January 16, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »

And its certainly not like Young hasn't been out with injury either.  I tend to remember last season he was out for a few weeks for what?  A little smack on his head?

That was pretty funny but he still played more games than NJ did so he ha better numbers by default :lol:

And for the record, I don't buy into that leadership bullcrap. Players have to produce between the lines. Lead by their production.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: January 16, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »
I know we want "Curly W's", but there's a little more to life and to sports than just, simply that.  Yes, I want the Nats to win, just like every other fan.  But dang, you are so narrow-minded here.  You cannot deal w/ the fact that there are differences in how men and women approach sports and life in general.  And instead of recognizing that or even remotely trying to understand it, you laugh at us.  Well, go back and enjoy drooling at the pinups.  I know, they're airheads and that makes life so nice and easy, as there's nothing to try to understand or get frustrated w/ them over.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: January 16, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
Well, go back and enjoy drooling at the pinups.  I know, they're airheads and that makes life so nice and easy, as there's nothing to try to understand or get frustrated w/ them over.

I would but you guys found a way to ruin that too.

And whether you like it or not, sports are about winning. When they cease being about that they should stop playing altogether.

« Reply #17: January 16, 2008, 09:42:18 PM »
I think he has been called out on that in the past (by some parties) because even before the season began last year he clearly wanted Lee to be named the 1st baseman instead of wanting the best man to win the job.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  I am assuming you mean Travis Lee?  Is that the guy?  Where the heck did you get the idea I would want Travis Lee?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: January 16, 2008, 09:44:51 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa!  I am assuming you mean Travis Lee?  Is that the guy?  Where the heck did you get the idea I would want Travis Lee?

LOL you said that last ST. You said you hoped Lee would win the job instead of wanting the best of the 2 to get the job. Or maybe that wasn't you. Nevertheless, I'm just messing with you anyway man :lol:

I'd love to have the great hitting NJ we've seen in years past. But I just don't hold out hope that we will.  :?

« Reply #19: January 16, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »
LOL you said that last ST. You said you hoped Lee would win the job instead of wanting the best of the 2 to get the job. Or maybe that wasn't you. Nevertheless, I'm just messing with you anyway man :lol:

I'd love to have the great hitting NJ we've seen in years past. But I just don't hold out hope that we will.

I might of said Travis Lee was in a lot better shape than Young last ST but I never recall saying I wanted Travis Lee.  That would be like me saying let's trade Jesus Flores for Robert Fick.

You scaring the beejesus out of me. :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: January 16, 2008, 09:49:21 PM »
It's all good I was just trying to get a rise out of you. But the idea of trading Flores for Fick will have ronnynat in fumes :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: January 16, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »

Sorry guys, I'm still working on that VORS (Value Over Replacement Spouse) metric introduced earlier this week.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: January 16, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I'm still working on that VORS (Value Over Replacement Spouse) metric introduced earlier this week.

Let me know how that one works out.   :thumbs:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #23: January 16, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »
A team without leadership is going to go nowhere.

You know, you can still have a team of great hitters, fielders and pitchers and STILL NOT WIN IT ALL.

HMM.  NYY come to mind.  Heck, they haven't won a world series in Years.  And everyone said, just get A-Rod, and we're series bound!

2004 REDSOX - Weren't supposed to beat the All mighty Yanks with their curses and such.

Hmm 95 - Pirates and Braves.  Hmm I vaguely remember how the Pirates was supposed to win that one.

Lets go even FURTHER BACK - 1924 - Giants vs Senators.  We weren't supposed to win that one either.

Seems to me your theory of only having good high priced players on a team doesn't necessarily = WINNING which is SOOOOOO important to you.

I vaguely remember a ragtag group of ameture hockey players in 1980 that played a PROFESSIONAL Russian Hockey Team.  NO WAY were they supposed to win.  They did!  Why because of teamwork and a coach which led them to believe in themselves. 

I think you're  :stupid:

:nono:

Offline blue911

« Reply #24: January 17, 2008, 08:25:53 AM »

Who is Gerry Fraley and how does he know so much? At this point all this is just speculation.

Even though it makes sense for the Nats to trade either Young or Johnson (If healthy). Given Bowden's history, he'll trade whoever will return the greater value.