Author Topic: Minor League Releases  (Read 2198 times)

Offline First Base Lady

Minor League Releases
« Topic Start: January 15, 2008, 01:41:05 PM »
From the Nationals Farm Authority

Minor League Transactions
January 14th, 2008
According to Bobby Williams of the Nationals, the following minor leaguers have been released:

Zach Baldwin - 2006 31st round selection; LH SP/RP pitched for Hagerstown in 2007

Greg Bunn - 2004 5th round; RHRP split time between Hagerstown and Potomac in 2007

Devin Drag - 2007 37th round; RHRP split time between Vermont and Hagerstown in 2007

Coby Mavroulis - 2005 21st round; LHRP pitched in Hagerstown in 2007

Buzz Vargas - minor league free agent signed in 2007; RHRP split time between Vermont and Hagerstown in 2007

Joe Welsh - 2006 32nd round; LHRP pitched in Hagerstown in 2007

Gene Yost - 2004 20th round; LHRP split time between Hagerstown and Potomac in 2007

Lindon Bond - 2007 50th round; RH OF split time between the GCL and Hagerstown in 2007

Erick San Pedro - 2004 2nd round; RH CA split time between Hagerstown and Columbus in 2007.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Minor League Releases
« Reply #1: January 15, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »
No loss.  I go by the "if I haven't heard of them, they must not be any good" school of baseball analysis.   :lol:

Of course if you were a host family for one of the guys, you might feel differently...   :icon_frown:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: January 15, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »
I saw Bunn and Yost pitch for Potomac, nothing special really.  The only other player I have heard of is Baldwin.  I actually thought he was the best starter in Hagerstown. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: January 15, 2008, 04:56:08 PM »
I remember seeing Mavroulis's name on statlines and never being impressed.  Either his ERA was too high or his line was really unimpressive.

Offline First Base Lady

« Reply #4: January 17, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
Tom - yes - I was a host mom for Baldwin.  I have actually stayed in close contact with Zach and his family over the past two years.  His release really comes as somewhat of a surprise.  If you look at all of the pitchers in the Nats minor league system last year, his first half stats place him in the top 5%.  He had a rough second half, but still ended up in the top 25% of all pitchers (purely based in stats).  Zach was in every pitching role last year - starter, reliever and closer.  He always did what the organization asked and kept his nose clean on and off the field.  I really think he was a victim of his age.  Maybe you will think I am biased, but I have had many of my host sons released over the years and only this one was a real question mark for me.  But don't count Zach down and out just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if another team acquired him. 

Offline heatchucker

« Reply #5: January 17, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
San Pedro 2nd rounder taken after Bill Bray...waste of a second rounder :-(

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: January 21, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »
They really tried with San Pedro - bringing to Major League spring training and all.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: January 21, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »
Tom - yes - I was a host mom for Baldwin.  I have actually stayed in close contact with Zach and his family over the past two years.  His release really comes as somewhat of a surprise.  If you look at all of the pitchers in the Nats minor league system last year, his first half stats place him in the top 5%.  He had a rough second half, but still ended up in the top 25% of all pitchers (purely based in stats).  Zach was in every pitching role last year - starter, reliever and closer.  He always did what the organization asked and kept his nose clean on and off the field.  I really think he was a victim of his age.  Maybe you will think I am biased, but I have had many of my host sons released over the years and only this one was a real question mark for me.  But don't count Zach down and out just yet.  I wouldn't be surprised if another team acquired him. 

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you end up really rooting for your "sons" to do well, especially if they are well mannered guests.   :halo:  But I would think that based on his 2007 performance, somebody will be willing to give him another shot.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #8: January 21, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »
San Pedro was not a waist.  He had the college pedigree from Miami. His 2d round selection was totally justified. I was at the Potomac game he broke his leg blocking home plate.  It was a complete break.  He was on the fast track when it happened. Unfortunately,s he has not been able to overcome that devastating injury. After watching players from travel teams to high school to college to minor leagues to major leagues I am convinced luck is a major factor in making it and staying in the major leagues. Luck that the player avoids a major injury during every phase.  Injuries terminate more careers than lack of talent.
So when we all get excited about this year's draft class

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 21, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »
San Pedro was not a waist.  He had the college pedigree from Miami. His 2d round selection was totally justified. I was at the Potomac game he broke his leg blocking home plate.  It was a complete break.  He was on the fast track when it happened. Unfortunately,s he has not been able to overcome that devastating injury. After watching players from travel teams to high school to college to minor leagues to major leagues I am convinced luck is a major factor in making it and staying in the major leagues. Luck that the player avoids a major injury during every phase.  Injuries terminate more careers than lack of talent.
So when we all get excited about this year's draft class

:glug:

EDIT:  I wonder if Natsdad was texting this post and got slammed by a semi or something, he seems to have stopped typing right in the middle of a sentance.  Or, he just passed out.

Offline heatchucker

« Reply #10: January 22, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
Erick San Pedro's Career Numbers
                         AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS
2004 GCL Expos    .083 .214 .083  .297
        Savannah    .200 .347 .325  .672
2005  Potomac     .105 .292 .105  .397
2006  Vermont      .185 .252 .207  .459
        Savannah    .164 .253 .224  .477
        NewOrleans  .115 .179 .154  .333
2007 Hagerstown   .231 .311 .333  .644
        Columbus     .200 .238 .200   .438

There is no fast track here.... He was a wasted pick. Injuries or not he never got better or validated his 54th Overall pick in 2004...here are some notables that went after him
54. Erick San Pedro
64. Hunter Pence
65. Dustin Pedroia
83. Adam Lind
84. Ian Desmond - another Expos mistake pick.
86. Garrett Mock
110. Chris Ianetta

Minor League Totals - 4 Season(s) 1HR 41RBI  .181AVG  .272OBP  .237SLG  .509 OPS

Offline First Base Lady

« Reply #11: January 23, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
But I would think that based on his 2007 performance, somebody will be willing to give him another shot.

He is actually working out in Reno right now and has been asked to come to an invitation only tryout with the Devil Rays.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: January 23, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
He is actually working out in Reno right now and has been asked to come to an invitation only tryout with the Devil Rays.

That's a franchise that could sorely use some pitching.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: January 23, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
That's a franchise that could sorely use some pitching.

Do you mean relief pitching? They are currently overpaying for relievers, but they have like 10 guys that are either great starters or the potential to be gerat.