Author Topic: Roger Clemens files suit against Brian McNamee  (Read 3110 times)

Offline PC

Roger Clemens files suit against Brian McNamee
« Topic Start: January 07, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »
Roger Clemens filed a defamation lawsuit against his former trainer saying Brian McNamee falsely accused him of using performance-enhancing drugs only after he was "threatened with criminal prosecution if he did not implicate Clemens" to federal investigators.

But an attorney for McNamee said Monday that his client was not pressured by federal investigators to name Clemens but that McNamee told Clemens’s people that he was pressured.

"He lied to them and tried to say, ’Well, they pressured me,’ because he wanted to continue to stay in the good graces of Roger," the attorney Earl Ward said in a telephone interview.

Ward was present during the day of questioning by federal investigators in June, which was described in a lawsuit Clemens filed Sunday. Ward said McNamee will also say, under oath, he was not pressured.

Click for full article

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Roger Clemens files suit against Brian McNamee
« Reply #1: January 07, 2008, 03:09:36 PM »
Uh oh, chalk up one lie to McNamee.

Offline PC

« Reply #2: January 07, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
I'll bet the case is withdrawn before depositions.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: January 07, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
Why didn't Clemens file a lawsuit when the Mitchell Report came out? I would think that an innocent person would be more concerned with clearing their name then winning a lawsuit.

« Reply #4: January 07, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
Oh yes, this one lie completely clears Clemens from any butt injections (the roid kind).

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: January 07, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »
Link from my posting to another thread earlier today (documentation for Clemens v. McNamee):

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/pdf/080107/mlb_clemens.pdf

arkymark

« Reply #6: January 07, 2008, 09:26:36 PM »
Clemens and his people seem to be horrible creeps.  If he keeps at it about two more weeks I doubt anybody in the country will doubt he did it. 

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/clemens-asks-mcnamee-for-truth/20080107180109990002

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: January 07, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
Was it legal for them to tape the conversation without McNamee's knowledge? Perhaps that depends on the jurisdiction?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: January 07, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
Was it legal for them to tape the conversation without McNamee's knowledge? Perhaps that depends on the jurisdiction?

Yes it was legal. In Texas and New York you only need one party to consent. In this case Clemens consented but there was something very dirty about the whole thing. His lawyer admitted to being there the entire time directing him. Plus it seems wrong (albeit technically legal) to tape someone while your attorney is present guiding you along for the express purpose of trying to use the recording for your own purpose. They used this as a platform for Clemens to continue to say things like "it's not true", "I need someone to tell the truth", "I didn't do this" while the other party had no idea he was being taped and then played it at a press conference. Very sneaky. You can hear him trying to deflect whenever McNamee said something that could potentially be damaging to him like when he said "the truth is the truth. It is what it is" or when he talked about warning his people of the dealer that was caught and could potentially cause them problems. Clemens claimed he didn't know about that and moved the conversation along.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 07, 2008, 09:51:08 PM »

Correct, depends on what state.  His lawyers were with him when the taping occured, and it was legal according to them.  THe very question was asked in the press conference today (broadcast live on XM 175, being rebroadcast tonight on XM 176, for those of us who have XM).

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: January 07, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »
I didn't see the press conference (don't have XM), but it does sound dirty. If anybody has a link to a transcript of that or the call, I'd be interested to see them.

Yes it was legal. In Texas and New York you only need one party to consent. In this case Clemens consented but there was something very dirty about the whole thing. His lawyer admitted to being there the entire time directing him. Plus it seems wrong (albeit technically legal) to tape someone while your attorney is present guiding you along for the express purpose of trying to use the recording for your own purpose. They used this as a platform for Clemens to continue to say things like "it's not true", "I need someone to tell the truth", "I didn't do this" while the other party had no idea he was being taped and then played it at a press conference. Very sneaky. You can hear him trying to deflect whenever McNamee said something that could potentially be damaging to him like when he said "the truth is the truth. It is what it is" or when he talked about warning his people of the dealer that was caught and could potentially cause them problems. Clemens claimed he didn't know about that and moved the conversation along.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #11: January 07, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
Also, there was something very dirty about the way the attorney lead in to the playing of the tape by saying they were in no way intending to use the tape to characterize McNamee. It was all very backhanded because he first suggested a certain slant to the recording about McNamee and then disclaimed any intention of doing so. That's like telling a jury to disregard something they heard in a court room except in this case they planted the suggestion into the mind of the listener before it was played to influence the way they listened or interpreted the tape.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #12: January 07, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
ESPN has a link to it but I don't know how to post links (I'm an idiot about those type of things) :?

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: January 07, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
Thanks, I will go to their site and check it out.

ESPN has a link to it but I don't know how to post links (I'm an idiot about those type of things) :?

natsfan1a

« Reply #14: January 07, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
Just watched the phone call portion and the Clemens clip on the espn site. I didn't watch all of the lawyer's intro yet but yes, it seems dirty how Clemens and his team went about things.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #15: January 07, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »
Sounds like 'roid rage to me. :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: January 07, 2008, 11:54:58 PM »
Sounds like 'roid rage to me. :)

That was funny. Seriously though, all of it seemed calculated, even the way he lost his composure shortly after his attorney advised him to tone it down and then managed to leave early.

arkymark

« Reply #17: January 08, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
Maybe he'll threaten to beat up a Senator or McNamee's attorney at the deposition.  Continue to promise to answer all questions, but never actually get around to it.

Just based on this stuff, McNamee seems so sincere and so messed up, and Clemens seems intent on trying to intimidate the whole world into believing him. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: January 08, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
That's exactly my impression after listening to that phone call and watching Clemens' Hall of Fame hissy fit at the press conference.

Just based on this stuff, McNamee seems so sincere and so messed up, and Clemens seems intent on trying to intimidate the whole world into believing him. 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #19: January 08, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »
Clemens is a cry baby that wants his way no matter what. I believe asking players how they feel about juicers (whether they should be looked upon as cheaters or not) is a tell tale question. It's condemning when they evade or refuse to answer that particular question and the reason I believe that is obvious. When asked whether he felt that juicers were cheaters Clemens got a little hesitant and was very vague. He never really answered the question and became agitated. His entire demeanor changed when that question was asked. I've seen some players who never hesitated answering that question but a lot of them refuse to do so and I believe that is because they themselves have been or perhaps still are juicers. Someone should've asked him why they felt they had to tape the conversation without at least letting McNamee know they were doing it.

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: January 08, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »
I just watched the clip of the lawyer's intro. He's got the folksy Clarence Darrow routine down.

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: January 08, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »
The whole thing seemed very well orchestrated. I tend to believe extemporaneous remarks over prepared statements. But I'm willing to give Clemens the benefit of the doubt until the congressional hearings.

natsfan1a

« Reply #22: January 08, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
The MLB site now has video of the full conference (minus expletives):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytz973

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #23: January 08, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
I've been a fan of Clemens since his days with the Red Sox (I was a Red Sox fan before our Nats arrived).  I knew from his personality and work ethic that he wasn't just going to roll over and let it go.  I can tell you that he's going to fight this tooth and nail to the end.  Frankly, I don't know who to believe at this point - but I think Clemens opens himself up to alot more misery by filing the lawsuit against McNamee, especially since his FRIEND and training buddy Andy Pettite all but vouched for McNamee's story.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #24: January 08, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
I've been a fan of Clemens since his days with the Red Sox (I was a Red Sox fan before our Nats arrived).  I knew from his personality and work ethic that he wasn't just going to roll over and let it go.  I can tell you that he's going to fight this tooth and nail to the end.  Frankly, I don't know who to believe at this point - but I think Clemens opens himself up to alot more misery by filing the lawsuit against McNamee, especially since his FRIEND and training buddy Andy Pettite all but vouched for McNamee's story.

I agree with all you wrote, Sens. (Except for the part about being a Red Sox fan, barf.)