Author Topic: Who uses steroids once or twice?  (Read 4716 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Who uses steroids once or twice?
« Reply #50: December 20, 2007, 10:54:32 AM »
I've got it:

Beer-battered snails.  Had them at a German restaurant during a field trip in High School, so definitely had them once, however I feel like I may have had them at another german restaurant since then, but I honestly can't remember.  So there's something I can't remember if I did once or twice.

Nice. I can guarantee I have had beer-battered snails ZERO times :D

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #51: December 20, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »
Re Durian.

ronnynat: It smells like a compost pile mixed with a sour organic after smell. If you drink it, people will smell it from fifteen feet away and cringe if you talk to them. Assuming they don't eat/drink it themselves.

SaltyDad

If you want to try it head to Eden place or you can pick them up at the Florida market in D.C.

From what I've heard the green variety is the most intense. I've eaten intense flavors like Sri Lankan sambols, Korean chopped octopus (live) sprinkled with chili/vineager and fried silkworms with mystery sauce but green Durian turned my stomach. It has an almost alkaline taste and a sour smell. I had it as a "milkshake". That said, drinking it causes a heck of a buzz.

I've heard the red is the easiest for the uninitiated, than yellow. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to try again.  :lol:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #52: December 20, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
SaltyDad Re Durian.

If you want to try it head to Eden place or you can pick them up at the Florida market in D.C.

From what I've heard the green variety is the most intense. I've eaten intense flavors like Sri Lankan sambols, Korean chopped octopus (live) sprinkled with chili/vineager and fried silkworms with mystery sauce but green Durian turned my stomach. It has an almost alkaline taste and a sour smell. I had it as a "milkshake". That said, drinking it causes a heck of a buzz.

I've heard the red is the easiest for the uninitiated, than yellow. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to try again.  :lol:

OMG. That sounds like the most disgusting thing to me. It just kept getting worse. It went from chopped octupus (live), to silkworms, to MILKSHAKE. Oh man, another thing I will try ZERO times.  :spaz: :spaz: :spaz:

natsfan1a

« Reply #53: December 20, 2007, 06:02:55 PM »
Same here (urp).

Offline saltydad

« Reply #54: December 20, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
I've got it:

Beer-battered snails.  Had them at a German restaurant during a field trip in High School, so definitely had them once, however I feel like I may have had them at another german restaurant since then, but I honestly can't remember.  So there's something I can't remember if I did once or twice.

I love escargot. Never had em beer battered, but it sounds good. If ya like molluscs (mussels, clams, oysters, conch) then these are the same but smaller and from land instead of the sea.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #55: December 20, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »
OMG. That sounds like the most disgusting thing to me. It just kept getting worse. It went from chopped octupus (live), to silkworms, to MILKSHAKE. Oh man, another thing I will try ZERO times.  :spaz: :spaz: :spaz:

The Sri Lankan sambols are great. Just ask for American spicy.

The octopus is good if you like sushi, hot food, and can stand the movement.

I've eaten stranger while traveling but I'll skip it for the sake of those who it makes queasy.

natsfan1a

« Reply #56: December 20, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
My husband is a more adventurous diner than I am. He does the escargot, squid, haggis, and so forth.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: December 21, 2007, 08:02:58 AM »
I love escargot. Never had em beer battered, but it sounds good. If ya like molluscs (mussels, clams, oysters, conch) then these are the same but smaller and from land instead of the sea.

My brother and family traveled to France this past year, and one of their pastimes was collecting snails from around the house.  Literally, they'd be climbing the walls, in the garden, etc.  But there is a lengthy process in which they have to be purged of waste products before being ready for cooking.  They are very good, however.