Author Topic: And Thus the A.J. Burnett Sweepstakes begins.  (Read 1552 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
And Thus the A.J. Burnett Sweepstakes begins.
« Topic Start: September 26, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »
Burnett's GOTTA be the #1 Free Agent on a VERY weak Free Agent Market. maybe #2 behind Paul Konerko. maybe.

and now he's officially   Burned His Bridges in Florida. He's likely pitched his last game as a Marlin.

Let the A.J. Burnett Sweepstakes begin, officially.  

where does he end up in 2006?

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #1: September 26, 2005, 02:40:22 PM »
Anyplace he wants, as long as it's NOT Washington. The Nats DO NOT NEED an overpriced .500 pitcher. They would be better served if they focused on getting one or two left-handed pitchers to slip in the rotation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: September 27, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »
Ken, you raise a point that I think deserves some kicking around.  It is almost a given that you need lefties in your rotation, as well as bullpen.

This season, the Nats had their greatest success when they didn't even have a single lefty anywhere.

I wonder if statistical evidence would support having some quantity of lefties in a rotation (or bullpen, for that matter) or is just the quality of the pitcher what counts, not the dominant arm.

So I ask the question to all of those who fancy themselves knowledgable about the game, is there an advantage to having 1 or more lefties in your rotation, vs. righties of comparable quality?  

Scot, if you're out there, has Baseball Prospectus done any work in this area?

Offline Kenz aFan

« Reply #3: September 28, 2005, 11:47:44 AM »
I believe that any team with good pitching, can have a quality bullpen, even without any lefties, but not having left-handers in the rotation, makes things to easy for opposing managers, since they don't have to think about what kind of lineup to send against any team with no lefties in the rotation.

All season long, the Nats only really had three good starters, and if they could add a couple lefties, who were number 2 or 3 in most rotations, the Nats would really make life miserable for the other teams, not only with lineup decisions, but on the field. I think it would be easier to add two lefties (unless the new owners penny pinch or have no balls when it comes to making deals) than some proven bats.

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: September 28, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
No disrespect Ken, but after this season I can't see how anyone could deny the importance of beefing up our offense...  reliable hitters, clutch hitters, guys with good OBP, some base stealers.  Any or all of these seem more important to me than getting more/new/different pitchers.

Now let me just say that I fully acknowledge that we do need more quality starters and guys to back them up, but hopefully there won't be any reason why we can't get  some of everything.

However...  if we had to choose between the exact same lineup next year, or the exact same pitching staff, there's no question in my mind.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: September 28, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
I always have my moneyball hat on in these discussions.

I am thinking that you get a RHP for cheaper than a LHP of comparable quality.  

You get more innings out of a starter than a reliever, so paying say $7m for Billy Wagner would be foolish if you could get a quality starter for the same dough.

And like Chief pointed out, we need offense.  

However, we also only have 3 starters, assuming Loaiza is re-signed.  Need two more, plus Carrasco as a sixth giving us a tiny bit of depth.  Could Dreese be a 5th starter for us next year?  Maybe.

But we need at least 1 quality starter as a first priority, in my view (not counting Loaiza).

Then, a slugging outfielder (Encarnacion, Mo Pena?)

Preston Wilson wasn't awful, but didn't really turn me on much.   More upside in Marlon Byrd.