Author Topic: D-Backs Make 2 Trades  (Read 1606 times)

Offline sportsfan882

D-Backs Make 2 Trades
« Topic Start: December 14, 2007, 06:27:32 PM »
D-Backs trade 6 Prospects for Dan Haren. They also traded Valverde to Houston for Qualls, Burke, and Juan Gutierrez.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071214&content_id=2326595&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari
PHOENIX -- The D-backs completed a deal to acquire right-handers Dan Haren and Connor Robertson from the A's in exchange for six prospects, it was announced Friday afternoon.

In addition, the D-backs sent closer Jose Valverde to the Astros in exchange for infielder Chris Burke and right-handers Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez.

Included in the trade to Oakland are pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland along with outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Aaron Cunningham and first baseman Chris Carter.

Glad we didn't trade Chief to Houston.  Chief=Valverde and look what Arizona got back in return for him.. Zippy

Offline ronnynat

Re: D-Backs Make 2 Trades
« Reply #1: December 14, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
Wow. I thought the A's would wait until Santana was traded. That's a lot of prospects they got, though.

I just saw that Santana's now looking for 7 years, $140 mil.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #2: December 14, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »
Let's hope Haren struggles in the NL like Zito did last year.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: December 14, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »
Wow. I thought the A's would wait until Santana was traded. That's a lot of prospects they got, though.

I just saw that Santana's now looking for 7 years, $140 mil.

They seemed to go with the quantity here with the prospects. Interesting approach. Haren is so good, I would have thought they would trade him for a couple of high quality position players. This will be one of those trades tracking over time on the results, because Haren is a gem.

The trading of Valverde didn't yield much in return. Perhaps this was more about freeing up money to pay for Haren.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: December 14, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »
The trading of Valverde didn't yield much in return. Perhaps this was more about freeing up money to pay for Haren.

I thought they got a pretty good deal for Valverde. The combo of Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez beats Valverde alone, IMO. Burke would just be a bonus backup middle IF. Not bad.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #5: December 14, 2007, 07:22:38 PM »
Well, this is a surprise!  The prospects given up for Haran are not top rate, IMHO, or if they ever will be, are many years away (included in the deal were former Sox farmhands Chris Carter (who we just gave the D-backs for Carlos Quentin) and Aaron Cuningham).  I thought Haran's upside was much bigger.  He is a definite upgrade over Levian Hernandez, I would think.  Chad Qualls could be an excellent set up guy.  The D-Backs got the best of these deals, I'm sure. 

I'm glad Haran didn''t wind up in Cleveland, as Chicago media outlets predicted.   

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #6: December 14, 2007, 09:20:27 PM »
I thought they got a pretty good deal for Valverde. The combo of Chad Qualls and Juan Gutierrez beats Valverde alone, IMO. Burke would just be a bonus backup middle IF. Not bad.

I guess it depends on perspective. I am really not a big fan of Qualls at all. Valverde coming off a career year as a closer with 47 saves and a 2.66 ERA could have really returned something much more interesting. That's a big chip to trade. It seems more like they were trying to avoid a costly piece as opposed to returning maximum value.

Edited: I'll admit my opinion of Qualls has been based more on how the Nats seem to do against him, which of course is not the way to judge someone, but I just can't help it. I always some him in a similar light as Jorge Julio - the gift that keeps giving.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #7: December 14, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »
Glad we didn't trade Chief to Houston.  Chief=Valverde and look what Arizona got back in return for him...

Honestly, I've got to disagree.  With the way Valverde performed, even though he's a bad sport, Valverde>Cordero, at least as far as trade value right now.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #8: December 14, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
Honestly, I've got to disagree.  With the way Valverde performed, even though he's a bad sport, Valverde>Cordero, at least as far as trade value right now.

I agree with the Valverde>Chad part, but I believe that supports his overall point that Valverde could have been dealt for more.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #9: December 14, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »
I agree with the Valverde>Chad part, but I believe that supports his overall point that Valverde could have been dealt for more.

Oh, absolutely.  I agree with his point; just making one of my own.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: December 14, 2007, 09:52:54 PM »
D-Backs trade 6 Prospects for Dan Haren. They also traded Valverde to Houston for Qualls, Burke, and Juan Gutierrez.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071214&content_id=2326595&vkey=news_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari
Glad we didn't trade Chief to Houston.  Chief=Valverde and look what Arizona got back in return for him.. Zippy

I thought Jimbo made a strong push for Gonzalez last year (according to Svrluga) and that he's a top prospect

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #11: December 15, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
So, if the Dbacks can generate any sort of offense next season, they should be the team it be in the NL, I'd have to think.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #12: December 15, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
So, if the Dbacks can generate any sort of offense next season, they should be the team it be in the NL, I'd have to think.

Yeah, I give them credit for feeling that they got close enough this year that they needed to trade some of tomorrow for a big piece today. Omar Minaya hasn't seemed to grasped that concept just yet. I hope Bowden and Kasten understand it when our time comes. But their willingness to trade a young prospect for someone they viewed was major league ready bodes well for the Nats' future.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: December 15, 2007, 08:26:59 AM »
They're still lacking the big bat in the middle of their order, but they do have Chris Young leading off, and he hit 32 HR last season.

They don't have the most well-known bullpen, but it's really solid. They should definitely be up there next season.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #14: December 15, 2007, 09:54:27 AM »
Valverde is a hot head and has truthfully had one good season, last season.  Chad is also 3 years younger.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Valverde get hammered this year in Houston.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #15: December 15, 2007, 10:01:31 AM »
The picture of I think Valverde on MLB.com.  Man, does that picture scream Roid rage or what?!   :shock: :roll: :lol:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: December 15, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
The picture of I think Valverde on MLB.com.  Man, does that picture scream Roid rage or what?!   :shock: :roll: :lol:

Not necessarily. You can take a snapshot of just about anyone in the middle of certain expressions and get the same.