Author Topic: The Official "Argue about Elijah Dukes" thread.  (Read 23953 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: The Official "Argue about Elijah Dukes" thread.
« Reply #50: December 13, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »
www.1airzimmerman1dukes1cup.com
lmfao

Seriously, just try the ignore button on him.  It's heavenly.

Seeing, "This user is currently ignored," in place of, "OMG DUKES IS SO GANGSTA!!!11" is really refreshing.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #51: December 13, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
lmfao

Seeing, "This user is currently ignored," in place of, "OMG DUKES IS SO GANGSTA!!!11" is really refreshing.

:rofl:  It's tempting but I won't do it on principle alone.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #52: December 13, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »
Yeah, I kinda feel like a jerk for doing it.  I really don't like stifling people's ability to speak freely and be heard by everyone, but he crosses a line.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #53: December 13, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
Yeah, I kinda feel like a jerk for doing it.  I really don't like stifling people's ability to speak freely and be heard by everyone, but he crosses a line.

True.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #54: December 13, 2007, 10:25:15 PM »
No, it's not actually.  Living in Alex Gordon country, I get to see him play a lot and followed him rather closely.  If you're going to look at Dukes' first fifty games and compare that to Alex's production, you need to look at Alex's first fifty games also.  He got off to an absolutely abysmal start, it got so bad, there was talk of sending him down to AAA.  Through May (49 games) he was hitting only .185 and if you go into the first four games in June before he had a 4-4 game vs. Cleveland it drops even further .173.  He only had 3hrs and 8rbi up to then.  Those numbers aren't as good as what Dukes put up.  I think a full season is really needed to compare the two.  Alex finished the year really strong through the summer and was probably the best hitter in that lineup by the end of the year.

Theoretically, I'd rather he works the kinks out in the minors rather than suffer through 50 games of hitting below the Mendoza line. The guy is 22 - why the rush?

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #55: December 13, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »
No, it's not actually.  Living in Alex Gordon country, I get to see him play a lot and followed him rather closely.  If you're going to look at Dukes' first fifty games and compare that to Alex's production, you need to look at Alex's first fifty games also.  He got off to an absolutely abysmal start, it got so bad, there was talk of sending him down to AAA.  Through May (49 games) he was hitting only .185 and if you go into the first four games in June before he had a 4-4 game vs. Cleveland it drops even further .173.  He only had 3hrs and 8rbi up to then.  Those numbers aren't as good as what Dukes put up.  I think a full season is really needed to compare the two.  Alex finished the year really strong through the summer and was probably the best hitter in that lineup by the end of the year.

thank you! stick that in your pipe and  :pimp: it nats19

« Reply #56: December 13, 2007, 10:26:12 PM »

Theoretically, I'd rather he works the kinks out in the minors rather than suffer through 50 games of hitting below the Mendoza line. The guy is 22 - why the rush?

Good point.  It's not like he is going to be over the hill.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #57: December 13, 2007, 10:38:07 PM »

I actually do remember Gordon's first half of the season. I remember seeing him opening day and then see his numbers plummet. Still, I think it's irrelevent to Dukes because Gordon ended up playing a whole year and putting up decent numbers for a rookie. Dukes never even played more than 1/3 of the year.

If you compare the 1/3 of the year, they're comparable, like you said. I will certainly give you that. But there's a reason Dukes didn't play the last 2/3. We all know it and you had to think Gordon would turn it around because of how good he was touted to be. By the end of the year, he improved. We'll see if Dukes can even last a whole year.

I don't see any harm in having Dukes start the year at AAA if he doesn't play well in spring training. What problems does it cause? Other than maybe some chemistry issues or personal issues with players in AAA, I think it's best. Say he does well. Great. Then he deserves to be called up and given a chance.

And if he doesn't play well, we'll know he's still got to figure it out and improve. Like we all know, he's 22. He's got time. What's the rush.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #58: December 13, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »
I don't think it's irrelevant.  They're both of similar age and hype and Dukes put up better number than Gordon throught the same stage in their MLB careers.  If the pattern holds true then Dukes should be fairly caught up, especially if he has a good spring training.  I don't think AAA for Dukes would be a bad option necessarilly, but I don't think keeping him in DC is a bad decision either.  I'd like to think those 50 games last year were used for him "getting the kinks out".

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #59: December 14, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »
Here we go:

After sitting most of last season, no way he belongs above AA. I actually mean that.

And you are a professional scout for which team again?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #60: December 14, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
can't wait for spring training when dukes starts the silencing of all the doubters and blatant haters.

Or does sweet bugger all, falls flat on his face and shuts you up forever...

Stop seeing things that aren't there... Everyone in this forum knows that Dukes has the potential, but except for a few hints of power, he's done nothing to show he's Major League ready with his bat, his glove or his attitude. If Dukes blasts 5+ HR, drives in over 20 runs and hits for a .350+ average during spring training, he still wont have proven a thing. Now if he makes the team and carries those numbers over into the regular season, then we'll be sufficiently impressed. But for now, aside form a couple of impressive home run videos, he's just another AAA player trying to make the Nats 2008 roster...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #61: December 14, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
And you are a professional scout for which team again?
That's classified information.
A) he wasn't injured  - in fact I read he wasn't allowed to the stadium - so he wasn't learning anything
B) everyone gets rusty when they don't practice things

It's common sense.

C) It's an argument thread - trying to start arguments

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #62: December 14, 2007, 03:09:10 PM »
lmfao

Too bad I can't; my (WNFF) job is to react to crap like that.

Anyhow...Dukes has great potential, no doubt.  And AZ, I don't think you grasp the big picture everyone's trying to paint for you.  We're not against Dukes; we're against you.  We're against your man-crushes of players toiling in otherwise good and logical discussion.  We're against you rubbing in our faces how great he's GOING to be (and apparently you can guarantee this, backing it up with nothing but some blurry YouTube HR videos).  And finally, we're sick of a person on the forum who seems to be a man-crush fan first, and a sensible Nationals fan second.

In summary, we're sick of you.  So to reverse this, just start talking real baseball.  You can have man-crushes on players, just don't let it spill out onto the forum.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #63: December 14, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

Is AZ your idol?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #64: December 14, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
Is AZ your idol?

That's out of left field. Especially because I said that Dukes will most likely be in the Minors, not batting champion and MVP.

natsfan1a

« Reply #65: December 14, 2007, 03:35:29 PM »
Excellent use of logic. ;)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #66: December 14, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »
Excellent use of logic. ;)

Does that mean he has pointed ears? He asked with a most inquisitive look on his face...

natsfan1a

« Reply #67: December 14, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
Where's the smiley for a Vulcan salute? :lol:

Does that mean he has pointed ears? He asked with a most inquisitive look on his face...

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #68: December 17, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
That did not take long.  :'(

Another injunction sought against Dukes
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2007/12/another-injunct.html

« Reply #69: December 17, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »

Oh boy. :roll:

Why does God grant potential talent to turds rather than to people who might actually use it for the powers of good?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #70: December 17, 2007, 07:36:45 PM »

Well, you brought it to the right place :).

Offline xposbrad

« Reply #71: December 17, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »
I don't know why everyone is arguing over Dukes. He has power, and even his AVG sucks which is from a very small sample, his OBP is still decent. How about Pena who has mediocre D and who has a very low obp???? I'd rather have Dukes in the lineup than Pena if it came down to it. Dukes/Milledge/Kearns would be the perfect lineup, and Pena being the 4th outfielder. I know Pena signed for a lot of money so he'd start, but Dukes has a higher ceiling.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #72: December 17, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »
I don't know why everyone is arguing over Dukes. He has power, and even his AVG sucks which is from a very small sample, his OBP is still decent. How about Pena who has mediocre D and who has a very low obp???? I'd rather have Dukes in the lineup than Pena if it came down to it. Dukes/Milledge/Kearns would be the perfect lineup, and Pena being the 4th outfielder. I know Pena signed for a lot of money so he'd start, but Dukes has a higher ceiling.

This isn't a thread really arguing about his potential...so far. More, his problems.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #73: December 17, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
This pic should go to the beginning of this thread :D:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #74: December 17, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/21/Hillsborough/The_Dukes_family.shtml

Damn. Sounds like a tough life. 10 times tougher than everybody's here, I'm sure. Good for his mom going back to high school at 34, though. That's pretty cool. I'm really hoping he turns it around here now. I think he just needs a real role model.

(I kind of feel bad for that pic in my post above this one now :?)