Author Topic: Wily Mo - 2 years, 7 Mill.  (Read 2419 times)

MrMadison

Wily Mo - 2 years, 7 Mill.
« Topic Start: December 05, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »

9:12 p.m., from Enrique Rojas • The Nationals and outfielder Wily Mo Pena have reached a preliminary agreement for a two-year, $7 million contract extension, according to sources. Pena, 25, will get $2 million in 2008 and $5 million in 2009. He had the option of arbitration this year and could have become a free agent after the '08 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

thoughts?

Offline UMDNats

Re: Wily Mo - 2 years, 7 Mill.
« Reply #1: December 05, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »
Well, he earned it with his play at the tail end of last year. This tells me Dukes and Milledge are fighting for the CF spot, with Logan and Langerhans probably on the way out. Wily Mo in LF and Austin in RF.

Unless Dukes proves to be a d-bag like his record indicates, and he gets sent down to AAA or something.

« Reply #2: December 05, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »
Well, he earned it with his play at the tail end of last year. This tells me Dukes and Milledge are fighting for the CF spot, with Logan and Langerhans probably on the way out. Wily Mo in LF and Austin in RF.

Unless Dukes proves to be a d-bag like his record indicates, and he gets sent down to AAA or something.

I would have to agree.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #3: December 05, 2007, 10:08:28 PM »
I do think Milledge will get the CF job easily, and Dukes will have to prove he's ready for the bigs from AAA.

MrMadison

« Reply #4: December 05, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
I would have to agree.

as would I.

man, I can't friggin wait till Feb. now.......

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: December 05, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »
Peña appears to be safe and locked in for the next 2 campaigns.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #6: December 05, 2007, 10:18:46 PM »
In my opinion Dukes should be starting the season in the minors anyways. What about last season showed you he was ready mentally and physically for the bigs?

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #7: December 05, 2007, 11:00:03 PM »
In my opinion Dukes should be starting the season in the minors anyways. What about last season showed you he was ready mentally and physically for the bigs?

um, 10 jacks in 50 games?

sorry to disappoint all you dukes doubters but he will be in a nationals uniform come season opener, not a clippers one.

i also see your dukes questioning and raise you a question about austin...what about last season showed you austin should be securely situated in right field offensively speaking? certainly it wasn't the whopping 16 homers he hit. everybody is sadly mistaken if they think the new stadium is suddenly going to spark an offensive explosion from austin. people seem to forget we were last in the majors in runs last year, we need offense!

as i said before i think rf should be up for grabs between dukes and ak. this would be bad news for ak because dukes will thoroughly outplay him in st.

o ya,  :thumbs: to inking wily mo!

« Reply #8: December 05, 2007, 11:12:24 PM »

sorry to disappoint all you dukes doubters but he will be in a nationals uniform come season opener, not a clippers one.

i also see you're dukes questioning and raise you a question about austin...what about last season showed you austin should be securely situated in right field offensively speaking? everybody is sadly mistaken if they think the new stadium is just going to spark an offensive explosion from austin.

as i said before i think rf should be up for grabs between dukes and ak. this would be bad news for ak because dukes would thoroughly outplay him in st.

For one, you don't have to worry about letting Kearns go out for a beer or something on the streets of DC.

For two, he has been in the majors a lot longer than Dukes has and has been pretty much done nothing but start.  For the Reds, for us and with pretty good reason considering he learns the angles, nooks, and crannies pretty damn fast of a park's outfield, has a monster cannon of an arm, makes basic plays, and makes some pretty tough plays.  A few rivaled even some of Nook "The Flash" Logan's plays if you want to talk what JMad calls "THE SPEEEED."

Third and most important: He's EARNED the right to start that position.  Dukes has done jack crap.  This ain't Tampa f'n Bay.  Your going to just have to wipe the brown off your nose, get the smears off those rose glasses of yours, and wait and see if Dukes can EARN the right to start anywhere in ST.

Right now, if I had to choose between Kearns who has shown up everyday to play with minimum problems or Dukes who has a plethora of problems on and off the field and a .190 average because he wasn't out there doing what he was supposed to do for whatever reasons, you bet your ass I'd take Kearns any day of the week and sweep Dukes right under the rug to Columbus.

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #9: December 05, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »

i also see your dukes questioning and raise you a question about austin...what about last season showed you austin should be securely situated in right field offensively speaking? certainly it wasn't the whopping 16 homers he hit. everybody is sadly mistaken if they think the new stadium is suddenly going to spark an offensive explosion from austin. people seem to forget we were last in the majors in runs last year, we need offense!

as i said before i think rf should be up for grabs between dukes and ak. this would be bad news for ak because dukes would thoroughly outplay him in st.

o ya,  :thumbs: to inking wily mo!

I hate AK. So I agree there.

Dukes batted .180 or something. Not too great. Plus, was he mentally there? Obviously not. He may need to take a chill pill and stay in triple A for a month or so. I'm just saying...

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #10: December 05, 2007, 11:21:30 PM »
I hate AK. So I agree there.

Dukes batted .180 or something. Not too great. Plus, was he mentally there? Obviously not. He may need to take a chill pill and stay in triple A for a month or so. I'm just saying...

dukes head is clear and he is focused now that he has fled tampa. a focused dukes is a scary thought statistically speaking. he would put ak's stats to shame. but hey, if we're content with continuing to be in the bottom of the league in runs then by all means let ak start and watch the snoozefest that his boring bat is. milledge is a major upgrade but it's going take more than milledge to make our offense a bona fide threat.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: December 05, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
According to Barry Svrluga's latest blog entry, Bowden has denied the report (through a spokesman)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: December 05, 2007, 11:31:01 PM »
AK changed made a minor change in his swing during the second half of the season and it showed.  Before changing the placement of his hands,pitchers could get Austin out on inside pitches.  Now after making the adjustment, He was now getting ahead of fastballs and ripping them down the line instead of fouling them off or hitting little pop ups or grounders.   

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: December 06, 2007, 12:25:28 AM »
It was pretty cool hearing 40,000 people chanting his name at closing day...

Peña appears to be safe and locked in for the next 2 campaigns.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: December 06, 2007, 01:40:35 AM »
Wonder if he's tradable at that salary? Can any of these dudes play 1B?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: December 06, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
A few rivaled even some of Nook "Flash in the Pan" Logan's plays if you want to talk what JMad calls "THE SPEEEED."

That's more like it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: December 06, 2007, 10:33:42 AM »
I applaud getting Wily Mo locked up for at least two more years.  He's going to thrive in our lineup, in our new park, and going to be a key part of our offense this season.

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #17: December 06, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
The party line will be that everybody is competing for a job in spring training, but take it to the bank the OF starters will be Pena, Milledge, Kearns; and barring any violations of the zero-tolerance rule, Dukes will stay in the majors to be under the tutelage of Acta and Young.

Kearns and Milledge will be Acta's 2 favorite players, though if Milledge doesn't hit early in the season, we could see the head case getting some time in center.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #18: December 06, 2007, 01:44:34 PM »
The party line will be that everybody is competing for a job in spring training, but take it to the bank the OF starters will be Pena, Milledge, Kearns; and barring any violations of the zero-tolerance rule, Dukes will stay in the majors to be under the tutelage of Acta and Young.

Kearns and Milledge will be Acta's 2 favorite players, though if Milledge doesn't hit early in the season, we could see the head case getting some time in center.

I agree ...I think this is exactly how it goes -- regardless of Kearns disappointments at the plate - he is excellent defensively and a very solid, professional veteran - the Nats would not be wise to trade him and leave only youngins in the OF ... particularly with the potential volatility of the Dukes situation - and I also agree there is no way that Dukes goes to the minors - he will stay in the bigs because of Manny and Dmitri ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: December 06, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
I agree ...I think this is exactly how it goes -- regardless of Kearns disappointments at the plate - he is excellent defensively and a very solid, professional veteran - the Nats would not be wise to trade him and leave only youngins in the OF ... particularly with the potential volatility of the Dukes situation - and I also agree there is no way that Dukes goes to the minors - he will stay in the bigs because of Manny and Dmitri ...

This must be "comeback" week, both Senators2005 and wpa2629 have made triumphant returns to our humble forum!   :P

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: December 06, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »
Kearns  is a very solid, professional veteran -

Is this another call for a veteran presence to tutor the youngsters?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #21: December 06, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »

Is this another call for a veteran presence to tutor the youngsters?

Meh ... I dunno ... considering the zero tolerance short leash that dukes is on ... I don't think it would be prudent to let Kearns go - I think he still has value for the club - not suggesting he's untouchable - just that unless they get another everyday guy who can get the job done, in case dukes blows up ... you hold onto Austin ...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: December 06, 2007, 01:57:53 PM »
This must be "comeback" week, both Senators2005 and wpa2629 have made triumphant returns to our humble forum!   :P

Aw shucks! Thanks :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: December 06, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Meh ... I dunno ... considering the zero tolerance short leash that dukes is on ... I don't think it would be prudent to let Kearns go - I think he still has value for the club - not suggesting he's untouchable - just that unless they get another everyday guy who can get the job done, in case dukes blows up ... you hold onto Austin ...

Is this another call for a veteran presence to tutor the youngsters?  :lol:

Fixed. Actually I knew what you meant (and I agree). I was just messing with you to make you feel at home (like the good old days  ;))

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #24: December 06, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »

Fixed. Actually I knew what you meant (and I agree). I was just messing with you to make you feel at home (like the good old days  ;))

Aw shucks! Thanks! ... :)