Author Topic: Thoughts on Steroids  (Read 1317 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Thoughts on Steroids
« Topic Start: September 22, 2005, 01:18:44 PM »
Dave if you want to go back to the days of "normal guys" playing baseball then I'm afraid you're watching baseball about 60-80 years too late.

Yes creatine and similar substances make people unnaturally strong, but to my knowledge they do not post the significant risks to the body and the mind that steroids do.

Also, you need to take a closer look at guys like David Eckstein.  The guy is a runt by modern baseball standards, or hell, by ANY standards.  At 5'7" and 165 lbs, he would hardly be considered intimidating in any sport.  And yet he has a career .281 average and 8 homeruns this season.  He is also an excellent position player.

In my humble old-fashioned opinion, this is the kind of guy a player should strive to be if he isn't "born huge".  Use what you've got, and work your ass off to earn your spot.  I believe our own Jamey Carroll has a very similar attitude, and while his numbers are not quite comparable to David Eckstiens, he is a major league ball-player nevertheless, and I guarantee you he got there by busting his ass and working hard every day to be there, not by popping some pills or sticking a needle in his ass.

I have infinitely more respect for these two men than I EVER will for Barry "juice-me-up" Bonds.