Author Topic: Team MVP?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline rileyn

Team MVP?
« Topic Start: September 21, 2005, 10:42:52 PM »
I can honestly say, I'm not sure who I would vote for.  We had no consistent hitters all year.  I suppose Nick and Guillen took turns carrying us for awhile, but they have floundered so badly down the stretch I would hesitate to vote for them.  Can you vote for Patterson with only 9 wins?  No.  Livan? Carried us with his arm early on, but has been mediocre in teh 2nd half.

I would argue to give the award to the entire bullpen since they were clearly the bright spot on the team.  If I was forced to pick a single player I think I would give the slight edge to Cordero over Majewski.  Right behind them would be Ayala and then Carrasco from the bullpen.

If I had to rank my votes:

1.  Cordero
2.  Majewski
3.  Hernandez
4.  Ayala
5.  Nick the Stick
6.  Guillen
7.  Schneider
8.  Patterson
9.  Loaiza
10. Carrasco

Offline Dave B

Team MVP?
« Reply #1: September 22, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »
Patterson. Cordero lost it this month.  So what he had 9 wins.  He always did more than enough to put this team in a position to win

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Team MVP?
« Reply #2: September 22, 2005, 09:11:58 AM »
Chad Cordero is the team MVP.

Period.

when determining a Season MVP, there is no room for "what have you done for me lately."

Offline Dave B

Team MVP?
« Reply #3: September 22, 2005, 10:15:25 AM »
actually, F-it. nobody deserves an MVP. MVPs are for teams that make the playoffs

Offline The Chief

• it's a thumb
    • http://www.wnff.net
Team MVP?
« Reply #4: September 22, 2005, 01:38:50 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
actually, F-it. nobody deserves an MVP. MVPs are for teams that make the playoffs

:lol:

Cordero gets it, no question.  Easily the most consistent and effective player on the team, in spite of his recent troubles.  MAJOR LEAGUE LEADER IN SAVES, PEOPLE!

dotsandloops

Team MVP?
« Reply #5: September 22, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »

MVPs are for the most valuable player on a team/in the league.  Every team has an MVP, unless there's a thoroughly mediocre one on which everybody plays equally well.

Offline Dave B

Team MVP?
« Reply #6: September 22, 2005, 02:31:34 PM »
Its crap though. How can you accept an award for being the best player on a team that is no good and be happy about it?  This is professional sports, not youth soccer. No participation trophies

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Team MVP?
« Reply #7: September 22, 2005, 03:52:42 PM »
Its crap though. How can you accept an award for being the best player on a team that is no good and be happy about it?  This is professional sports, not youth soccer. No participation trophies

Dave, Dave, we're all a bit down, but don't let it get to you.  You can't really say the team's "no good".  Not great, but not "no good".  And last year, they saw fit to reward Brad Wilkerson with the award, so why not find a worth soul this year?  

Nobody really stands out, but I think that Chad probably compares best to other players across baseball, per Chief's point.  And he was money during our best play of this season, and even when we started headed down, he was still rock solid, just not getting as many chances.  Only in the last month has his arm grown tired, velocity diminished.  Next season, he'll be just a bit stronger than this year, and ready to last deeper into the season and postseason.

Chad Cordero for MVP!

Offline Kenz aFan

Team MVP?
« Reply #8: September 23, 2005, 01:10:03 PM »
Patterson. Cordero lost it this month.  So what he had 9 wins.  He always did more than enough to put this team in a position to win

Team MVP players are selected for their performances over the ENTIRE season, not just one or two months. Cordero is the ONLY Nats player who's done it all season long. He's not my favorite closer in baseball, but he's the only player on the Nats who should even be considered. The others at best are also rans.

Offline UMDNats

Team MVP?
« Reply #9: September 24, 2005, 02:31:41 PM »
if i could name a group of players as MVP, it would be carrasco, halama, kim, and everyone else who made emergency starts.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Team MVP?
« Reply #10: September 24, 2005, 09:34:01 PM »
Cordero in a landslide.

Offline hillnat

Team MVP?
« Reply #11: September 25, 2005, 05:29:22 PM »
Cordero!