Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 113243 times)

Offline ronnynat

Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)
« Topic Start: November 22, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »
I'm always interested in seeing movies that others find great.

A few of my recommendations: Adaptation, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, A Moment to Remember (Korean movie; saddest movie I've ever seen), A Bronx Tale (I'm sure most have seen this one, but if not....)

Currently on my Must See list: Synecdoche, New York (I can't wait for this one!! Charlie Kaufman is by far my favorite screenwriter and he's actually directing this one. I'm really interested to see what a film that he wrote looks like when he's the one behind the camera.)

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1: November 22, 2007, 10:47:06 PM »
One of my coworkers has been raving about "No Country for Old Men," so I'll probably go to see that.  I also want to see "American Gangster" just for Russell Crowe's feathered 70s haircut. Speaking of 70s haircuts, I just watched "Dodgeball." Ben Stiller and his hair are a scream! (Yes, I like mental popcorn, especially if it involves Rip Torn.)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: November 22, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
One of my coworkers has been raving about "No Country for Old Men," so I'll probably go to see that.  I also want to see "American Gangster" just for Russell Crowe's feathered 70s haircut. Speaking of 70s haircuts, I just watched "Dodgeball." Ben Stiller and his hair are a scream! (Yes, I like mental popcorn, especially if it involves Rip Torn.)

No Country for Old Men looks great! I really like the Coen brothers' films. Barton Fink was the first I saw of theirs, and had to keep watching em after that.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: November 22, 2007, 11:27:07 PM »
"No Country For Old Men" by Cormac MacCarthy was a fricking awesome read, and I cannot wait to see the film.  As soon as my movie passes are legit (10 days after opening), I'm on that like flies on rice (or something like that).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: November 23, 2007, 01:06:51 AM »
I want to see No Country For Old Men, Lions to Lambs (or something like that), Bee Movie (looks cute) and American Gangster.

I also saw some trailers while at my cousin's house that are coming either by Christmas or Next Year.

Get Smart - Yes based on the old TV show.  Can't wait for this one in May 2008 (I think) with Steve Carel (from the Office) as Maxwell Smart!

National Treasure II - Christmas I think

Debaters?  - Forget what its called, but Denzel plays a teacher in charge of a debate team from an all black college.  Its based on a true story.  Of course it was during our MORE discriminary past.  Forest Whitaker is in it also.  The team eventually gets invited to Harvard to debate its team.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: November 23, 2007, 11:31:48 AM »
Yeah, I just saw previews for National Treasure 2!  Oh I really really want to see it!!!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #6: November 23, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
Yeah, I just saw previews for National Treasure 2!  Oh I really really want to see it!!!

Also, August Rush looks like the sappy kind of movie I'd like to see.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: November 23, 2007, 01:06:11 PM »
Movies I have seen recently that are pretty good:
The Lookout
The Invisible
Reign over Me

Movies I need to see:
So many to even name.  I love movies  8)

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #8: November 23, 2007, 04:16:36 PM »
Movies I have seen recently that are pretty good:
The Lookout
The Invisible
Reign over Me

Movies I need to see:
So many to even name.  I love movies  8)

I can't wait to see Reign Over Me...I've had it here for a while..just haven't had the time yet.

« Reply #9: November 23, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
Tonight the family is taking in one of my favs: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Not much I want to see in the theaters but I do want to see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

arkymark

« Reply #10: November 25, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »
Perhaps some of these have been out too long to be helpful, but I liked American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I'm kind of psyching myself up for No Country because of the violence, but I do love the Coen Brothers.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: November 25, 2007, 04:36:42 PM »
Perhaps some of these have been out too long to be helpful, but I liked American Gangster, Gone Baby Gone and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I'm kind of psyching myself up for No Country because of the violence, but I do love the Coen Brothers.

In your opinion, which of those three that you mentioned seeing is the best?

arkymark

« Reply #12: November 25, 2007, 05:03:02 PM »
Tough question.  Depends on your mood.  American Gangster is a parallel gangster movie starring Denzel Washington and a cop movie starring Russel Crowe that melds at the end.  Gone Baby Gone is a Boston private eye story reminiscent of Mystic River, featuring Boston white trash drug addicts and a missing child.  Devil is a messed up-heist/family dysfunction movie.  All three were tense, but the violence is not presented for the thrill of seeing people killed.  And all were excellent, with terrific performances.  So, it's hard to compare.  I thought Gone Baby Gone was the most emotionally engaging, American Gangster had the most big studio gloss, and Devil cheered me up before the shooting started because it featured a fat guy loser who got to be married to Marisa Tomei.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: November 25, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
and Devil cheered me up before the shooting started because it featured a fat guy loser who got to be married to Marisa Tomei.

:rofl:

Gone Baby Gone will probably be the first that I see of the three. Thanks

Offline Ray D

« Reply #14: November 27, 2007, 04:46:33 PM »
American Gangster is an incredible movie.  It's not going to be a critical success because critics are a bit too politically correct; if not for that it would be a strong candidate for best picture.  The acting, directing, plot, etc. All top rate.

"No country..."  A seriously flawed movie but very entertaining nonetheless.

arkymark

« Reply #15: November 27, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
I wanted to add Michael Clayton, which is about the best legal thriller I've seen, and again with terrific performances, though not as powerful as the others I mentioned.

arkymark

« Reply #16: November 29, 2007, 11:05:53 AM »
Though not a movie recommendation, Nora Ephron has a piece in last week's New Yorker about a couple trying to figure out what happened in No Country for Old Men.  I haven't seen the movie and I thought it was funny.  Perhaps those who have actually seen the thing would agree.  It's available online, NewYorker.com

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: November 29, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
I wanted to add Michael Clayton, which is about the best legal thriller I've seen, and again with terrific performances, though not as powerful as the others I mentioned.

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I had forgotten about it.

A kind of older movie I recommend is Frequency (2000). Dennis Quaid and James Caviezel are great in it. Here's a link if you want more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186151/

Offline saltydad

« Reply #18: November 29, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of this one. I had forgotten about it.

An kind of older movie I recommend is Frequency (2000). Dennis Quaid and James Caviezel are great in it. Here's a link if you want more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186151/

I loved Frequency. Can't wait to see it in HD.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #19: December 02, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »
Taking a shot on this one. Has anyone here ever seen the movie Stay Tuned w/ John Ritter? That was absolutely one of my favorites in the 90s. Just something about it.

Plot Outline from IMDb: A husband and wife are sucked into a hellish TV and have to survive a gauntlet of twisted versions of TV shows they find themselves in.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: December 04, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »
I loved Frequency. Can't wait to see it in HD.

That one is awesome!  Have you seen Final Countdown w/ Kirk Douglas & Martin Sheen?  It's along the same lines and totally excellent!!!

arkymark

« Reply #21: December 04, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
I just put Frequency at the top of my netflix queue.  Thanks.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #22: December 05, 2007, 12:05:47 AM »
Has anyone seen The Company w/ Michael Keaton and Chris O'Donnell?

It's a 3 part mini-series (kind of a movie, I guess) "that traces CIA activities over a 40-year period, from the beginning of the Cold War through the demise of the Soviet Union."

I saw the first part yesterday. It really is great so far, IMO. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it?

natsfan1a

« Reply #23: December 05, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Here's an idea, for those of us with NetFlix, what's at the top of your queue? (I don't ask what all's in it because if you're like me, your list is lo-o-o-o-ng).

My current 1-5 in the queue are Waitress, Mulholland Drive, Random Harvest, La Vie en Rose, and Soul of the Game (and I have The Sandlot in the house).

I just put Frequency at the top of my netflix queue.  Thanks.

arkymark

« Reply #24: December 05, 2007, 09:51:26 AM »
Frequency, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Saga of Gosta Berling, Chusinqua, Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers.