Author Topic: Looks like it'll be Dukes. Not Jones. Not Hunter. Not Rowand.  (Read 12896 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
i think the question that nobody has asked yet is this:

Can Dukes play CF?

(perhaps i missed any info that was posted on this, but i was under the impression that he was a corner outfielder.)

um, ya?! that's his ideal position, and the position he played with the rays. which makes getting him all the more appealing and attractive!

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
and for the record, dukes power PWNS wily mo's.

Offline ronnynat

um, ya?! that's his ideal position, and the position he played with the rays. which makes getting him all the more appealing and attractive!

Plus, you've gotta love that .190 average! I wouldn't give him the superstar status quite yet. If we get him for next to nothing, I'm down with the project.

Offline mikehughes

Plus, you've gotta love that .190 average! I wouldn't give him the superstar status quite yet. If we get him for next to nothing, I'm down with the project.

Look at all the problems he had though, his mind couldnt of been fully on the game with all that stuff, if he gets a new start here with his head clear, that AVG will be more in the 280-290 Range, better than any CF we have now. Plus he'd bring all that power with him, 20 HR's would be guarenteed, most likely 30.

Offline ronnynat

Look at all the problems he had though, his mind couldnt of been fully on the game with all that stuff, if he gets a new start here with his head clear, that AVG will be more in the 280-290 Range, better than any CF we have now. Plus he'd bring all that power with him, 20 HR's would be guarenteed, most likely 30.

I doubt you're right, but I hope you're right...if he actually does come here

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Here we go with the "ifs" again... if healthy, if he does this, if he plays, if we get him... Maybe the Nats could change (or add) the IFS to their list of team nicknames... ;)

Yeah but a lot of those problems he brought upon himself by his own choices.  If truly he lost a step in his game due to distractions, he has himself to blame for that.

Offline ronnynat

Here we go with the "ifs" again... if healthy, if he does this, if he plays, if we get him... Maybe the Nats could change (or add) the IFS to their list of team nicknames... ;)

haha...as long as Bowden's the GM. Maybe even the "Probably Nots"

Offline kimnat

This was meant to either insulate you from criticism or to confirm your paranormal talent.  :rofl:

I was really just being lighthearted w/ that comment.  It's just saying that I know I take a lickin' for it, but that's ok.  I wasn't being mean spirited.

Offline kimnat

I was bummed, I was almost done typing a response to the Berg bit and the power at my dad's just went POOF!  Anyway, what I was going to say is that I don't want many of our starters traded for Dukes.  I think Lopez is the only one I'd let go for Dukes.  I'd also consider Logan for him.  It's not all about Bergmann w/ me.  You all just think that.  But I'm really NOT a thunder!

Offline mikehughes

I was bummed, I was almost done typing a response to the Berg bit and the power at my dad's just went POOF!  Anyway, what I was going to say is that I don't want many of our starters traded for Dukes.  I think Lopez is the only one I'd let go for Dukes.  I'd also consider Logan for him.  It's not all about Bergmann w/ me.  You all just think that.  But I'm really NOT a thunder!

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the season that the Rays wanted Logan, if they still do than why not make the deal, Logan dosen't have a place here anymore.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I understand that people don't want another reclamation project, but baseball is just a sport of "if's."  All of the supposedly reliable free agent CF's are also "if's," and they're pretty costly ones at that.  Sometimes, it's worth it to take a chance on someone like Dukes who has all of this raw talent.

I'd much rather see them sign Andruw Jones, but if that isn't going to happen, you can't get much better than Dukes in terms of low-cost options with loads of talent.

natsfan1a

I'm with kimnat re. Dukes. Just say no. Also, how come you guys were picking on her on Thanksgiving? That's not how "nice guys" act (just kidding on the last part).  :halo: :icon_mrgreen:

No, just me.  I keep bringing this up because I think it's important.  Both Dmitri and Dukes came from or are w/ a team in a starting capacity or are already up in the big leagues.  Both had significant issues w/ these old teams.  Dmitri had a life changing experience, humbled himself and did his best (even though having to take a lesser position/contract).  Dukes is in NEED of a life-changing experience, but will not come in via a lesser role and prove himself.  He will come in via a trade of one or two of our major leaguers.  If we were trading career AAA players for him or maybe even Bascik and Traber like someone mentioned already, I'd be fine w/ that.  My gut just doesn't have a positive feeling on this guy.  I know that will sound lame to you all who are oh so much smarter than me, but my instincts are rather good.  Like I just feel that someone will skewer me for this line of thought.   :? :lol:

Offline kimnat

Thank you, 1a!!!  Boy, did I need you on Thursday!!  Spider thinks I constantly wear rose-colored glasses, but I don't.  I think only another gal could understand my gut feeling on this one, that instinctual part.  :D

natsfan1a

You're welcome, kimnat! I'm always happy to stick up for a fellow female forum member (WNFFF?). :) I recall that we had a Dukes thread earlier in the year, but I can't remember exactly when it took place. At any rate, my feelings haven't changed in that regard.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I think only another gal could understand my gut feeling on this one, that instinctual part.  :D

So you're saying natsfan1a shares your paranormal abilities? In that case, I can play that game also.

Spider thinks  KNOWS I constantly wear rose-colored glasses,

Instinct tells me this statement needed to be FIXED!   ;) :D  :rofl:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Thank you, 1a!!!  Boy, did I need you on Thursday!!  Spider thinks I constantly wear rose-colored glasses, but I don't.  I think only another gal could understand my gut feeling on this one, that instinctual part.  :D

Kim, animals have instincts, women have intuition, men have guy feelings... Fact is, it really makes no never mind who the Nats acquire, because there can be good and bad found in whoever the player is. Players are people just like the rest of us, they make mistakes just like the rest of us, they are often influenced by their environment or who they hang around with. If for example, the Nats were to acquire Saint Christopher, (no disrespect to Chris) someone could, if they wanted to find fault or see something they consider bad in his acquisition.

Yes, Elijah Dukes has baggage, but how will we ever know if he can turn his life around, unless he gets out from where he is. If he's never given the chance, what could become a majestic butterfly, would forever remain imprisoned in the cocoon he's in now (metaphorically speaking). I'm for giving Dukes his chance, he's already convinced himself that he needs to get out of where he is now. That alone tells me he's maturing to the point where he has seen there is a problem, and the only way for him to reach his potential, not just as a player, but as a person hinge on his being given that chance. I will head the words of a great Man, who many years ago said onto those gathered, "Blessed are......" (sorry about the dots, but I went totally blank on the wording for the one in which He talked about the persecuted) Would an eventual outfield of Pena, Maxwell and Dukes be so bad?

Offline kimnat

Sounds good Ken.  I go w/ you on all that.  And thanks, intuition was the word I meant to use.  I haven't exactly been at the top of my word usage game lately.  I had to write up several articles just before Thanksgiving to beat a slew of deadlines prior to Andrew's Make-A-Wish trip which begins on Tuesday!

Here's the part you drew the blank on:

Matthew 5:
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

natsfan1a

I found the Dukes threads that I was thinking of. FWIW, they were in mid- to late June of this year (11-20).

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Sounds good Ken.  I go w/ you on all that.  And thanks, intuition was the word I meant to use.  I haven't exactly been at the top of my word usage game lately.

Oh, Oh, Oh, a word usage game? Can I play?  I love messing up the English language
Matthew 5:
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Me thinks someone did a Google... LOL   Not only the guys who started Google, but whoever invented cut-and-paste was pretty cool too... ;)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I found the Dukes threads that I was thinking of. FWIW, they were in mid- to late June of this year (11-20).

And you didn't post a link?

Offline Dave B

I'm surprised at the Dukes hate because it is very similar to the Dmitri hate in the beginning of the year. I figured people would learn, but they make up some other bogus reasons.

Offline kimnat

Oh, Oh, Oh, a word usage game? Can I play?  I love messing up the English language
Me thinks someone did a Google... LOL   Not only the guys who started Google, but whoever invented cut-and-paste was pretty cool too... ;)

Actually, it was crosswalk.com.  :D  And you can join me in the OT word game thread!  I just had to change my entry THREE times!   :?

Offline kimnat

I'm surprised at the Dukes hate because it is very similar to the Dmitri hate in the beginning of the year. I figured people would learn, but they make up some other bogus reasons.

I don't recall the Young hate in the preseason.  I even remember asking if his coming in was a good or bad thing and I just recall being told what his numbers were.

MrMadison

to be honest, i'm not all that impressed with 20, maybe 30.  we got tons of that in Zimmerman, Kearns, NJ, Dmitri, etc.

I'm looking for 35+ every season.

I want a 35/120 bat in the middle of our lineup.