Author Topic: Cashman to DC, Bowden to NY?  (Read 924 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Cashman to DC, Bowden to NY?
« Topic Start: September 20, 2005, 08:40:01 AM »
Yesterday Phil Wood repeated a rumor he had heard, that if the Yankees fail to reach the playoffs, they may hire Jim Bowden to replace Brian Cashman.  According to Phil, Steinbrenner likes Bowden's willingness to quickly react and make deals to shake things up, if necessary.

Phil also reiterated the rumor that Cashman could be a favorite of one of the winning bidders in DC.

I would have to say that the prospect of Bowden doing deals in NY with a big budget, might prove to be very entertaining indeed.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1: September 20, 2005, 09:27:32 AM »
I figure the other guys listed here could be washington candidates as well.  Will someone please tell me why they want Cashman as the GM?  I dont think Bowden has done that bad. He has been decent and that is no reason for change. We could get someone who totally sucks

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spken184432113sep18,0,6950288.column

excerpt

We're placing our bet on Yankees general manager Brian Cashman leaving his job upon the completion of this, his eighth season in the hot seat.

Opportunities could abound, with Washington, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Cincinnati (remember, Cashman grew up in nearby Kentucky) likely to have openings.

But who would replace Cashman? Here's an early list of candidates:

Jean Afterman. The current assistant GM, she has expressed public doubt about even wanting this job. She could get a courtesy interview. The Yankees are best served with Afterman focusing much of her efforts on Japan; look for the club to go aggressively after Seibu Lions pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka this winter.

Jim Bowden. He'll be kicked out of Washington the moment MLB sells the team, which should be two weeks from now (former Mariners owner Jeff Smulyan is gaining steam, and he might be placed with former Braves president Stan Kasten). Even though the Yankees fired Bowden in 1989, The Boss is said to admire the 44-year-old's quick trade trigger. And Bowden has kissed up to Steinbrenner in recent years.

Pat Gillick. A Hall of Fame- caliber GM, he left Seattle after the 2003 season. Can he be tempted to come back at age 68? It wouldn't surprise us if Steinbrenner offered the temptation.

Gerry Hunsicker. He did a great job building up the Astros. But he quit last year, tiring of over-involved owner Drayton McLane, so he might not care for Steinbrenner and his multi-site operation, not to mention unbearable team president Randy Levine.

Damon Oppenheimer. Unfairly charged with stabbing Gene Michael in the back - it simply isn't accurate - Oppenheimer has climbed up the Yankees' ladder and has played a key role in scouting, trades and development. He could handle the job, although he might be more valuable in a role that better utilized his scouting.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: September 20, 2005, 09:43:30 PM »
interesting to see if Cashman can do anything w/o an infinite amount of money.

he did make a good trade this year getting Chacon (sp? you know who im talking about, right?) from Colorado and Aaron Small.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: September 21, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »
I think most of the diamonds in the rough the yankees have gotten, most in yankeeland attribute that to their director of scouting, Gene Michael

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Cashman to DC, Bowden to NY?
« Reply #4: September 21, 2005, 11:19:12 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Steinbrenner likes Bowden's willingness to quickly react and make deals to shake things up, if necessary.

I guess he hasn't been paying much attention to what Bowden's been doing this year? ;)