Author Topic: Hal Bodley in US Today Firing line has several managers in  (Read 2024 times)

natslive

Hal states that dumping Frank would be a mistake.

Off in the distance, faint music from baseball's managerial merry-go-round can be heard. In two weeks, it'll be deafening.

Jack McKeon, who guided the Marlins to the World Series championship in 2003, could be losing his Florida cap soon if his club misses the playoffs.  
By Rick Silva, AP

I can't remember a September when there's been so much talk of teams poised to wield an ax on their skippers after the season.

By my count, as many as 13 teams could change managers before next season.

Start with the New York Yankees.

To even discuss Joe Torre's status for 2006 seems absurd. He's taken the Yankees to the postseason the last nine years, won eight American League East titles and four World Series.

He just might be the most respected sports personality in New York. But if the Yankees miss the playoffs, owner George Steinbrenner is certain to take action ? especially after bankrolling a record $205 million payroll.

No matter the situation, I can't see Torre walking away from the estimated $13 million his contract will pay him through 2007.

Steinbrenner loves former Yankee Lou Piniella, who could work out a settlement with Tampa Bay and not return in 2006. Piniella rubbed salt in Yankees' wounds when his $28 million Devil Rays took 11 of 19 games from them. If Torre leaves and Piniella doesn't return to Tampa Bay, he'd be the leading candidate for the Yankees job.

He could also get the Orioles' position. Selling the team to Baltimore fans is a priority for owner Peter Angelos, what with the Washington Nationals having a bigger home attendance average than the Orioles. Lee Mazzilli was fired Aug. 4, and interim Sam Perlozzo may follow.

When general managers set sail to find replacements, will they go after proven managers or try someone with little or no experience?

Cleveland GM Mark Shapiro had to make that decision and chose virtually unknown Eric Wedge during the 2003 season. Wedge played just 39 games in the major leagues. The Indians are currently one of the game's hottest teams.

"Every situation dictates the type of person who is the best fit," says Shapiro. "The relationship between general manager and manager is so important."

So far this year: Buddy Bell replaced Tony Pena, who resigned as Kansas City's manager in May; the Cincinnati Reds fired Dave Miley on June 21, replacing him with Jerry Narron on an interim basis; Perlozzo took over for Mazzilli; and the Pittsburgh Pirates bounced Lloyd McClendon on Sept. 6, giving the interim job to Pete Mackanin.

One man's managerial scorecard:

?Pittsburgh Pirates: Former Pittsburgh manager Jim Leyland would appear to be the leading candidate. But if Ken Macha doesn't return to Oakland, he'd be in the mix. So would former Astros-A's-Mets skipper Art Howe, Dodgers manager Jim Tracy if he leaves L.A. and possibly Angels bench coach Joe Maddon.

?Los Angeles Dodgers: Tracy signed a two-year deal last winter, a contract that contains a clause allowing him to leave after one season. He won the NL West title last year in his fourth season, but his relationship with GM Paul DePodesta has been strained.

?Oakland Athletics: Macha has yet to sign a contract extension and seems to be in a similar situation as Tracy.

?Detroit Tigers: The Tigers were expected to contend this year after spending big for Magglio Ordonez and Troy Percival, and Alan Trammell may pay for a fourth-place finish.

?Texas Rangers: After a strong start, the Rangers have disappointed. Buck Showalter might be falling out of favor but probably will remain.

?Washington Nationals: The franchise will have a new owner next year who could opt to replace Frank Robinson. That would be a mistake, but it could happen.

?Florida Marlins: Much depends on whether the Marlins return to the playoffs. Owner Jeffrey Loria has refused to comment on Jack McKeon's status, but the fact McKeon rewarded him with a World Series victory in 2003 cannot be overlooked. If a change is made, McKeon, who'll be 75, probably will remain in an executive capacity.

?Cincinnati Reds: Considering the improvement in the Reds, I'd be surprised if GM Dan O'Brien doesn't remove the "interim" from Narron's title before the season ends.

?Chicago Cubs: If Dusty Baker doesn't return, former Red Sox skipper Grady Little, a roving catching instructor, would be the top candidate.

?Arizona Diamondbacks:Bob Melvin got a recent vote of confidence, but former agent Jeffrey Moorad, now the managing general partner, had Baker as a client.

Offline Dave B

The fact of the matter is this team exceeded expectations. I dont know why that is grounds for firing.  The only knock I have on Frank is he sticks with the veterans. Although Castilla has been producing lately.  Giving guzman every opportunity might be a very good/lucky long term decision as he has 3 years left on his contract. Give him and bowden another year

Offline Dave B

I cant believe the firing the coach and GM sentiment from most people here. who I would assume are redskins fans.  isnt it obvious that coaching carousels are not the way to go?

hillnat

Why cant you believe it.  There have been numerous errors and mistakes that have cost the team a better chance to make the playoffs. Better than expected is not a free pass.  Assuming we are redaskins fans is just silly. We are Nationals fans.

Offline Dave B

apparently he has done enough good things to get the team to play this well. you probably dont notice those because they are not as glaring.  zimmerman gets credit for hitting a double in the win against the mets. does frank get credit for putting him in? i havent heard any thrown his way.  i think it is safe to assume there are a good number of redskins fans here or at least people who realize that the redskins suffer from not having continuity with their coaches.   whats to say the next guy can get along with these players?  the nats/frank havent been bad enough to dive into the unknown with a new coach.

Maybe he knows how to motvate some people.  Basically calling Patterson a baby for missing a start with a sinus infection didnt affect patterson too much. He pitched maybe his second best game game of the season.

hillnat

Yes he gets credit and blame for anything he does just like everyone else in the organization, but playing Zimmerman once a week and watching him perform and then running out the same crippled thirdbaseman ( who I am a fan of and have tremendous respect for his effort)  6 times a week is not good managing.  Castilla should have been playing 4 times a week down the stretch. Maybe his knee would have felt better earlier and started hitting the ball a little better earlier. As tough as it was for us to score runs its inexcuseable.  Same goes for Guzman  and Wilson.  If we could have been in better position easier that is poor managing.

Offline Dave B

There are way too many things that we dont know, and for the postition the Nats are in he doesnt deserve to get fired. Castilla, Guzman, and Wilson have been playing well lately

hillnat

so even though we could be better this is good enough?  I just disagree.  Who cares if they play well when the pressure is off and its too late. Big Deal.

Scot

I think that Robinson (and Bowden and taveras, but that's another issue) all have to go once the season's over.

You can look at any manager and find a ton of what appear to be stupid decisions in hindsight - that's part of being a manager: any time you make a move that does work out, it's not noticed. But any time you make a move that doesn't work out, you get nailed. Which is why I don't focus so much on a manager's in-game decisions (unless he's completely brutal).

The main thing I judge a manager on is his use of the players he has available. It's not the manager's fault if he has a bunch of bad players and the team struggles. but it is the manager's fault if he has potentially valuable players who are misused. And that's my main criticism of Robinson - he doesn't use the players he has available to him very well - especially the pitchers. Robinson running Ohka out of town is the prime example of why he deserves to be fired: given a choice between Ohka and Robinson, I'll take Ohka every time: Robinson is no better a manager than a hundred guys the Nats could hire today, but Ohka was extremely valuable to the club: a solid if unspectacular pitcher who could go out and give you 6 decent innings a start. That is extremely valuable, especially for a team trying to cobble together a back half of a rotation from perpetual injury cases (Armas, Rauch), rejects from other teams (Halama, Drese) and converted relievers (Bergman, Carrasco, Kim). Robinson didn't like Ohka, so he was gone. Robinson didn't like Kim, so he was gone. Robinson didn't like Vargas, so he was gone. Anyone detect a pattern?

Scot.

hillnat

So guzman has to play everyday but you dont use the major league leader in saves. Still like this manager?

Offline Dave B

Have you seen what Cordero has done lately?  That is riduculous to call for Cordero in that situtation. Livan had given up THREE hits to that point and I dont think one since the 5th or 6th inning. He was hardly in trouble he pitched around bonds understandably, and should have gotten another pitch or two called strikes.

Dont give me  "the he is the major league leader in saves argument".  What have you done for me lately?  Nothing.  and it wasnt just one or two blown one run saves. He has given up dramatic BOMBS. no doubters.  and when he was saving games, I cant tell you how many RFK outs he got that were caught at the wall

hillnat

So Cordero sucks and we should never use him again. apparently all those long fly balls werent outs so the saves werent real either. But you make my point for me.  If Cordero hasnt done anything lately and there fore Frank doesnt play him why did we have to endure a season of Guzman and Castilla due to loyalty and sticking with our guys?  Cant have it both ways.

Offline Dave B

Cordero is worn out. He is not throwing the ball as hard. He didnt throw hard to begin with.  When you dont throw hard you cant make mistakes.  There were really no options to replacing Guzman and Castilla until Sept. 1.  Since then those two have been doing well.  Bringing in Cordero last night would have been akin to having Guzman pinch hit for Jamey Carroll in July.  If it was the June Cordero, maybe you bring him in.  If livan had scattered 8 hits, maybe you bring him in.

hillnat

I was screaming for anyone to tell you the truth.He just looked a little out of gas. any fresh arm would have been ok by me.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "Dave B"
The fact of the matter is this team exceeded expectations. I dont know why that is grounds for firing.  The only knock I have on Frank is he sticks with the veterans. Although Castilla has been producing lately.  Giving guzman every opportunity might be a very good/lucky long term decision as he has 3 years left on his contract. Give him and bowden another year

The Nats exceeded expectations, not because of Frank Robinson, but in spite of him. FR is one of the most disliked managers in all of baseball. There must be a reason for that dislike, and no matter how much respect players have for him, they wont perform their consistently for someone they don't like.

As for Bowden, I'm not against giving him another chance, but PLEASE make him get rid of his cronies, there MUST be better "special assistants" available out that, who WEREN'T part of the Reds losing machine.